Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness in Galway

Options
  • 19-01-2009 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

So just wondering how everyone is getting on fitness wise (new year's resolutions) with the recession giving people so much depression?
    I myself have noticed a lot of people not renewing memberships for their gym due to the stress at work.
    Has it hit the bottom of the list?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

I just got an exercise bike myself. So much better than paying exorbitant gym fees and I can work out while watching telly.

happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Kind of slacked off myself over the hols, but kind of had an excuse as I was sick and did my back in a bit.
    Paid for the year (luckily) so what's done is done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Just started back to the gym, not a resolution, my back is finally feeling good enough to train again. Hopefully in another month I can start squatting. I miss you squats!! :(

Just started back to the gym, not a resolution, my back is finally feeling good enough to train again. Hopefully in another month I can start squatting. I miss you squats!! :(

You know, you can get a cream for that :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

For a herniated disc? really??

• Advertisement

Yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

m83 wrote: »
    You know, you can get a cream for that :rolleyes:

When will people learn how to correctly use the rolleyes function in the proper context?...

OT, can you pay as you go in Kingfisher in the Uni? You can't in the one in Renmore (for the gym that is).

Any other pay as you go gyms in the city?

I thought the grammar police were bad, but, emoticon police.. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

No more gym once it runs out. Running and swimming outdoors suits me much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I haven't been inside a gym in three years. Mind you I do have a bench, barbells, dumbbells, a pull-up bar and an exercise bike at home so I don't miss it :).

Now if I could just force myself to use the equipment more...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Is there any long beach preferably around the east side of the city? It'd be a bit of a change from doing laps of a pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Because of the way the city is laid out geographically I think the only one is Ballyloughane beach but I assume you already know about that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Gym subscription renewed, and being attended regularly, just like it was before Christmas.

So fingers crossed re actually finding some work in Galway so I can make decent use of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'm being made redundant soon so I dunno if I'll be renewing the gym membership again. Then again I'll be free during the daytime, when there is light, so I'll be looking forward to running on the prom and swimming in the bay again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

If anyone in Briarhill is interested, there are morning yoga classes for women at 11 a.m every weds in Briarhill business park. Very enjoyable so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Ya it seems alot more people are taking advantage of Galway's outdoor activities, even tho the weather is terrible for it :o
    I'm cutting costs as a personal trainer (especially 9-5) down by 20-25% coz €50 is just too much for some people at the moment. Will organise a few classes as well and buddy training to save people a few €, get people a bit healthier and fitter, relieve some of the stress :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

kraggy wrote: »
    OT, can you pay as you go in Kingfisher in the Uni? You can't in the one in Renmore (for the gym that is).

Yeah the one in the Uni is €8 for the gym PAYG for non students. It was wedged last night, time to go back to morning gym sessions I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

signed up as well - and I hope that the January gym fad will be over soon, so the gym won't be as packed.
    very impressed with the NUIG Kingfisher - it's very, very nice, in my opinion ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Have stopped going to my main gym (kingfisher renmore) and just work out at home twice a week or so. Between college, work and not driving, it's just too hard to go to the gym itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

kraggy wrote: »
    When will people learn how to correctly use the rolleyes function in the proper context?...

Yeah, I agree, it makes me so mad I'm gonna go outside and spank someone.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

My schedule has just changed and is allowing me the time and energy to start using my gym membership after a long time.

I'm ashamed at how my strength and cardio fitness has gone, not to mention the extra bad weight I'm carrying. Ashamed but not surprised. It's bad when my new workout weights are less than my warm up weights in my 'prime'.

Here's hoping for Muscle Memory to kick in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

this weather is fine for outdoor running but is it not madness to be swimming outdoors...and is the nuig defo PAYG sounds good for the complete **** nights

MattKid wrote: »
    My schedule has just changed and is allowing me the time and energy to start using my gym membership after a long time.

I'm ashamed at how my strength and cardio fitness has gone, not to mention the extra bad weight I'm carrying. Ashamed but not surprised. It's bad when my new workout weights are less than my warm up weights in my 'prime'.

Here's hoping for Muscle Memory to kick in

Hey at least you have some proper steps made, I know countless amounts of people spending days in the gyms with no results showing and asking why? Always doing the wrong things and are disappointed that they have magically not lost 2 stone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

d-gal wrote: »
    So just wondering how everyone is getting on fitness wise (new year's resolutions) with the recession giving people so much depression?
    I myself have noticed a lot of people not renewing memberships for their gym due to the stress at work.
    Has it hit the bottom of the list?

Point Blank is still going strong despite recession woes (thankfully), the intermediate classes have never been busier and there is good uptake in the beginner classes, where the downturn would hit the worst, people are still looking for new ways to keep fit despite it all!

Point Blank is still going strong despite recession woes (thankfully), the intermediate classes have never been busier and there is good uptake in the beginner classes, where the downturn would hit the worst, people are still looking for new ways to keep fit despite it all!

Good to hear mate, whats the prices there? Always want to send my clients to some new activity, keep it mixed up. You instruct there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

My gym (radisson) is always really quiet, i would say never any more than 5 people in the place at any given time.
    Loads of times its been just me and one other.
    But that was before christmas and i havent been going alot since but few times i have its still been quiet, no idea what its like after 4pm in the day though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Does anyone know if there is a pay as you go swimming pool on the east side of the city/county? It is so seldom that I get a chance to go that its really not worth my while joining a gym, besides that I have a cross trainer and excercise bike, but I would love to grab an occasional swim without having to travel into town/salthill.

Now organising classes for the first week of February. going to be weight loss classes going on Monday-Saturday (max 6 per class) at 2/3 different times a day. Provided exercise plan and metabolism analysis.
    Questionnaire to be done and then cross referenced to identify your metabolism weak spots. Food plan provided.
    Hacking in to metabolism market as it's the only way to shift proper weight (aka not water weight).
    3/6/12 week courses provided.

PM me for details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

OT, can you pay as you go in Kingfisher in the Uni?

You can but the hours for non members are very limited. I'm not sure of the exact hours but I think it's something like 7.30-9, 2.30-4 and 8.30-9.30

• Advertisement
Advertisement