Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just a little advice

Options
  • 19-01-2009 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Right, where do I start.I broke my mobile today and I gotta get a new one.I've heard people hyping on about the skype mobile with 3.Are the calls that cheap with skype mobile.I'm with meteor and to be honest I'd like to stay with them.I have family in England and my own house has skype.My fiance has a meteor phone.What I've heard that it is not possible to unlock a 3 mobile to meteor without losing the skype on it.Anyway if I got a meteor phone, what programme would I have to get for it and what phone is the best.With all the recession going on and the fear of a rant from my fiance I can only spend upto 100 euros.If there is any oyther advice , feel free.
    I saw this on 3 is this any good.Sorry I keep messing up the links.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/product.php/616/0/3_skype_package/2c0c1767b8a1cf6f083c38ac509df8ee

Cheers:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Are you on a bill or payg ?

You can download an app called fring that does skype for pretty much any decent Nokia phone.

Check the e51. You could pick one up on adverts.ie for about 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

Cheers for that I will take a look.I'm on pay as you go.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

firstly, you don't necessarily need the skype phone, several phones on 3 will work with skype

you can't call irish numbers with 3's skype service, only foreign ones and skype numbers.

if you put a meteor sim in a 3 phone you will not be able to use 3's skype service

take a look at iskoot. it works on a lot of phones and in fact 3's phone use a branded version of it but there's a generic version. haven't looked at it much myself though

if you get a symbian phone, eg the Nokia E51, you can get a program called fring that i use all the time myself. it can use skype and gtalk and a few others

if you mostly call england from home and you get the e51, you can make calls through your wifi which is free except for skype's rates of course.

what offers do you and your fiance have active on your accounts, eg free texts?

long_b wrote: »
    Are you on a bill or payg ?

You can download an app called fring that does skype for pretty much any decent Nokia phone.

Check the e51. You could pick one up on adverts.ie for about 100.

the man gives good advice :D

Thanks Sam and Long b.Me and the mrs are on the free calls and texts which is pretty good.Dont really want to stray away from that.The e51 looks kinda neat.:o

• Advertisement

Thanks Sam and Long b.Me and the mrs are on the free calls and texts which is pretty good.Dont really want to stray away from that.
    you're right imo. anything you'd gain from the skype phone you'd lose from not having that offer and your fiance would too
    The e51 looks kinda neat.:o
    that it is

Do be warned though - the E51' s camera sucks a fair bit.
    Might not be an issue for you, but thought I would mention it.

Yeah, thats no problem really.Does it have a mp3 player with it and how much internal memory.Does it have a slot for more memory.
    I can look up but you seem to know what youre talking about...unlike me.
    Thanks for your advice

Oh he's gone for the flattery button, bless :)
    It doesn't come with huge storage space for mp3s and the like but you can buy memory cards for them.
    Pretty much all phones can play mp3s these days.
    It does take a non standard 2.5 mm headphone jack, but you can get really cheap adaptors for your regular phones.

Oh he's gone for the flattery button, bless :)

I'm in the doghouse with the fiance so I'm trying not to anoy anyone else.:D
    Thanks again Long B.Just put an offer on adverts.ie now and I'll keep an eye out incase I miss out..
    Watcha,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Do be warned though - the E51' s camera sucks a fair bit.
    Might not be an issue for you, but thought I would mention it.

But if you want something cheap your not going to give a f88k about the camera!
    Plus the E51 rocks:D

Advertisement