Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RS5

• 19-01-2009 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

Anyone have any more definite info on when the Audi RS5 is due out. Tried searching the net, just finding the usual car sites that say the RS5 has been spotted testing at the Ring etc. Anybody got any Audi inside information?? :confused: Maybe AudiChris

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,086 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

MSporty wrote: »
    Anyone have any more definite info on when the Audi RS5 is due out. Tried searching the net, just finding the usual car sites that say the RS5 has been spotted testing at the Ring etc. Anybody got any Audi inside information?? :confused: Maybe AudiChris

Nope, but this'll keep your mouth nice and moist :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

More than spotted, recorded!

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=19251

Bit suspicious, well editied, decent quality video combined with majorly aggressive driving from the Audi, I dont know..
    It does seem incredibly fast and LOUD tho!

EDIT- LOL, check out the Air Time at 40seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Matt Simis wrote: »
    More than spotted, recorded!

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=19251

Bit suspicious, well editied, decent quality video combined with majorly aggressive driving from the Audi, I dont know..
    It does seem incredibly fast and LOUD tho!

EDIT- LOL, check out the Air Time at 40seconds
    People there said it sounds like a v10:eek: imagine if its the twin turbo one from the RS6:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

a few pics here and a video clip - its possibly the same clip as attached but I cant view it at work

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090116.007/spy-video-audi-rs5-caught-undisguised-at-nurburgring

I think the S5 is a fantastic looking motor as I'm sure the RS5 will be. Given a well specced S5 is around €105k new I'd say the RS5 will be north of €120k. Might be worth waiting for a one year old one which you will probably pick up for half that they way things are going :) , altho thats assuming that anyone buys one in the first place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

TheBazman wrote: »
    a few pics here and a video clip - its possibly the same clip as attached but I cant view it at work

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090116.007/spy-video-audi-rs5-caught-undisguised-at-nurburgring

I think the S5 is a fantastic looking motor as I'm sure the RS5 will be. Given a well specced S5 is around €105k new I'd say the RS5 will be north of €120k. Might be worth waiting for a one year old one which you will probably pick up for half that they way things are going :) , altho thats assuming that anyone buys one in the first place

€15k premium only for the RS over the S? You're dreaming. Try €40k at least. In any case they're fairly ugly. RS6 would be my choice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The information in the middle of last year was that it would be launched/released around Feb '09, but I'd say this has been pushed back a bit.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't "unveiled" at the next motor show and if we couldn't get in here sometime mid-year.

Biro wrote: »
    €15k premium only for the RS over the S? You're dreaming. Try €40k at least. In any case they're fairly ugly. RS6 would be my choice!

I've no idea - I'm only guessing (whats the premium on the RS4 over the S4?) Anyway the point is its a lot of dosh.
    I must disagree on the looks tho' - I think they are fantastic looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

(whats the premium on the RS4 over the S4?)

80 odd for the S4, 130k for the RS4.

80 odd for the S4, 130k for the RS4.

:eek: Jaysus that much! If that premium transfers from the S5 to the RS5 you'd be as well off picking up a 1year old R8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

:eek: Jaysus that much! If that premium transfers from the S5 to the RS5 you'd be as well off picking up a 1year old R8

I might be ten grand off on the RS4 price, not 100%. Could only find the price for the cabriolet.

You could pick up a 08 R8 for 140K. Running costs would be in a different league tho i'd imagine.

Looking forward to seeing the RS5. Have been in an S5 and it's a very impressive car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

S6 approx 110k
    RS6 approx 175k
    = +65k

If the S5 is 105k or thereabouts, I'd expect the RS5 to be in the region of 160k or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

altho thats assuming that anyone buys one in the first place

Buy's an RS5? I'd imagine a pretty big waiting list for it.

It tick's a lot of boxes for a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

God that's a fantastic car, but 160k? I couldn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

This is the car I'm most looking forward to seeing this year. The Photoshop images around the place make it look stunning. I like the S5 but I think the car needs bigger wheels as the arches are quite large and this is where the RS5 comes in.

It's supposed to be a rival to the M3 so I can't see it being 160k, more like 130k. Rumours of either a twin-turbo version of the current RS4 engine with 450hp or the V10 from the RS6, though I reckon it'll be the V8 as the V10 might be too heavy.

SuprSi wrote: »
    This is the car I'm most looking forward to seeing this year. The Photoshop images around the place make it look stunning. I like the S5 but I think the car needs bigger wheels as the arches are quite large and this is where the RS5 comes in.

It's supposed to be a rival to the M3 so I can't see it being 160k, more like 130k. Rumours of either a twin-turbo version of the current RS4 engine with 450hp or the V10 from the RS6, though I reckon it'll be the V8 as the V10 might be too heavy.

RS4 = M3
    RS5 = M6
    RS6 = M5

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I had a lend of an M6 in work a while ago and I have never been so let down by a car in my life. I had been expecting such great things and It was awful! Big, slow, heavy and complete with a tragic autobox. Looked the part though and it did sound great!
    Apparently it uses most of the 507bhp to drive its computers.

Buy's an RS5? I'd imagine a pretty big waiting list for it.

It tick's a lot of boxes for a lot of people.

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek given what is going on in the economy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I had a lend of an M6 in work a while ago and I have never been so let down by a car in my life. I had been expecting such great things and It was awful! Big, slow, heavy and complete with a tragic autobox. Looked the part though and it did sound great!

Not sure an M6 is the sort of car you can borrow and make the most of, if you felt it was slow you were either in the default 400BHP mode or ride motor bikes. Probably the only car out there that you should actually read the manual.

The 'Auto box' is not auto it's a Sequential manual with an infinite number of settings to customise the gear shift comfort vs ferocity.

I've never driven one but slow is not a typical description associated with a 507 Bhp GT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Well I was working at a racetrack so its a perfect place to give a car a good shakedown! Compared to M3 or even the 130 sport it felt real slow. Certainly wouldnt be my cup of tea.

Fair enough as I said I've never driven one, if you got to track it and are sure you had the full 507 Bhp turned on then it may be just a fast on a motorway GT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Plug wrote: »
    RS4 = M3
    RS5 = M6
    RS6 = M5

Yes and no - you can't buy a new RS4 these days and it won't be released until after the RS5 so the only choice for people who'd prefer an Audi to a BMW would be the RS5. Most online publications refer to the upcoming RS5 - M3 rivalry as they're both coupe's though I can see where you're coming from. Also, the list price of an M6 coupe is 186k which I'd imagine is way above where Audi will price the RS5 especially considering the list price of an S5 is almost 90k cheaper than the M6.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

TBH if i was in the market for a qiuck coupe, i wouldnt be spending my 160k on an RS5.

M3, XKR, or even stretch a bit and buy an R8 instead.

Oh... The list price of an S5 at the minute is €94700 excluding delivery and metallic paint... Looks more like 97 or 98k! :eek:

Oh... The list price of an S5 at the minute is €94700 excluding delivery and metallic paint... Looks more like 97 or 98k! :eek:

yeah but tick a couple of boxes and

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1063199

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Ya boxes like; Tyre's, Windows, Steering wheel etc.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

The audi experience crew in silverstone are expecting one around march. It may be based up to rockingham with the R8 tho. It should be available to the public around april in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

RS4 = M3
    RS5 = M6
    RS6 = M5

This is wrong

Correct match ups below

S4 = 335 Saloon
    S5 = 335 Coupe
    S6 = 550 Saloon

RS4 = M3 Saloon
    RS5 = M3 Coupe
    RS6 = M5

New A7 will go head to head vs 6 Series - See Audi sportback concept for an idea on that.

Current S5 is horrifically overpriced and should fall in price next year when the V8 4.2FSI is replaced by a straight 6 3.0TFSI .

RS5 price will then be close-ish to maybe €110k?

Should be on sale in just over a years time. Debut probably at one of the US motor shows in December / January.

RedorDead wrote: »
    This is wrong
    RS4 = M3 Saloon
    RS5 = M3 Coupe
    RS6 = M5

Maybe thats wrong.
    The RS4 is a saloon, it was brought out to compete with the E46 M3 coupe, the E46 was only available as a coupe.
    This RS5 is rumoured to be carrying a V10 which is in the range of an M6. LINK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Maybe thats wrong.
    The RS4 is a saloon, it was brought out to compete with the E46 M3 coupe, the E46 was only available as a coupe.
    This RS5 is rumoured to be carrying a V10 which is in the range of an M6. LINK.

Nope - its getting a 450BHP V8.

Its really bodystyle vs bodystyle as opposed engine vs engine.

^^

That would make a bit more sense alright.

The only problem being, if you were in the market for a performance saloon, would you consider the M3 saloon? If it was me it'd be the RS4. If i was in the market for a performance coupe then it would obviously be the M3.

Im not too fond of the S5, maybe its because the accountant next door has one. I dunno, i'd find it hard to spend the best part of a hundred grand on one, when you could have a Porsche or something a lot more exclusive for the same money, being a second hand option of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

But at the time, there was no M3 saloon, and Audi didn't have a coupe in the line up, so the RS4 had to go up against the M3 coupe.

Now that there's an M3 saloon and coupe, and now that Audi have a coupe, it makes sense that the RS4/M3 Saloon and RS5/M3 Coupe are competing with each other.

The 6-Series is a considerably bigger car and very different in character than the A5/S5. I don't see them being competitors, even if they have similar engine sizes.

AudiChris wrote: »
    But at the time, there was no M3 saloon, and Audi didn't have a coupe in the line up, so the RS4 had to go up against the M3 coupe.

Now that there's an M3 saloon and coupe, and now that Audi have a coupe, it makes sense that the RS4/M3 Saloon and RS5/M3 Coupe are competing with each other.

The 6-Series is a considerably bigger car and very different in character than the A5/S5. I don't see them being competitors, even if they have similar engine sizes.
    Ah yeah, so when the new Rs4 comes out it will probably get the same V8 engine.

Advertisement