Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better in the microwave.

• 19-01-2009 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

Does anyone have any foods they think come out better from a microwave than an oven or on top?

I think fish done in the microwave can be very very good better or not is debatable.
    For sure though in my opinion breaded camembert is far better from the microwave than oven or dry frying.
    any other foods?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Personally I prefer scrambled eggs cooked in the microwave, because I don't like runny eggs.

Soup in the microwave is a doddle too, especially tomato basil soup:
    Just sweat some chopped onions drizzled in oil in a microwavable container for 5 mins on high, then add some peppers and garlic, chopped, for another two, then add two tins of chopped tomatoes, a dash of orange juice, fresh chopped basil and season with salt/pepper/chilli flakes to taste. Blast the lot on high for ten mins in a covered microwavable bowl/pot.
    (Serve with toast:D)

Last but not least my favourite microwave triumph was when my oven broke and I really wanted some chocolate cake. I tried this recipe and it came out great!
    http://www.allbakingrecipes.com/baking-recipes/microwave-cakes-bakes/microwave-chocolate-cake.php

It wasn't at all gloopy or puddingy as you'd expect, but rather a lovely crumbly chocolaty sponge. It was lovely with some nutella on it.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Tbh, the only thing I think a microwave is better for is reheating leftovers, but even then it's not totally necessary.

Our microwave broke 2 years ago and I decided not to replace it as the only thing I ever used it for was timing eggs. I can honestly say that I have not missed it once since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

popcorn:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I have posted before in cooking & recipes looking for a bread & butter pudding recipe for microwave. But no joy yet.

I made a few 10/15 years ago from a book that came with a microwave my mom bought, but I cannot remember the recipe.

I hope I might get some suggestions in this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

This sounds outrageous but i was prefer a baked potato 'baked' in the micro than in the oven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Eviledna wrote: »
    Personally I prefer scrambled eggs cooked in the microwave, because I don't like runny eggs.

Soup in the microwave is a doddle too, especially tomato basil soup:
    Just sweat some chopped onions drizzled in oil in a microwavable container for 5 mins on high, then add some peppers and garlic, chopped, for another two, then add two tins of chopped tomatoes, a dash of orange juice, fresh chopped basil and season with salt/pepper/chilli flakes to taste. Blast the lot on high for ten mins in a covered microwavable bowl/pot.
    (Serve with toast:D)

I fail to see the advantage of doing this in the microwave rather than in a pot.

All that opening and closing and taking a hot container in and out.

Much easier in a pot and just as quick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This sounds outrageous but i was prefer a baked potato 'baked' in the micro than in the oven.

Outrageous indeed but each to their own:)

One of my pet hates is ordering a baked potato and getting a microwaved one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I use a microwave to start the spuds (but finish in oven) defrost rashers, heat up single cups of gluhwein and heat milk for mashing spuds.

I can't think of any foods that taste better cooked in the microwave, I use mine more as a tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Our microwave broke 2 years ago and I decided not to replace it as the only thing I ever used it for was timing eggs. I can honestly say that I have not missed it once since.

Close on ten years ago we moved in to a microwave-less cottage. That was the first thing we decided that needed rectifying, but never got round to it. Ten years (and three houses) later we are still microwave-free, and don't miss it.

There is, though, one in work, which is handy for heating soups etc. for lunch, but cooking something in a microwave just seems alien to me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

noby wrote: »
    There is, though, one in work, which is handy for heating soups etc. for lunch.

Ah yes, the saviour of my lunchtime and the bane of everyone elses. I've tried closing the kitchen door to contain the smell of the food, but the first person to come to the kitchen after me always props it open again.

There is nothing worse than the smell of an aromatic curry wafting down the corridor as you are tucking into your cheese sandwiches. (Or so I'm told).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I fail to see the advantage of doing this in the microwave rather than in a pot.
    All that opening and closing and taking a hot container in and out.
    Much easier in a pot and just as quick!

For me, the advantage is in the taste, somehow the flavour of the onions garlic and peppers permeate the dish more fully, and there is no chance of anything to sticking to the bottom of the pot. It's just a richer and more fresh taste than the pot, and it takes alot less time and has less washing up.

As for the hot container, I use a special plastic microwave pot which is the bees knees, it has cool handles for the protection of the delicate handies.;)

Also, where else can you cook an entire chocolate cake in 9 mins? Sometimes a girl needs her fix quick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭broin

Asparagus - steaming it takes a couple of minutes or so. But microwaving takes maybe 30 seconds. Which is great when you're about to serve and realise your dinner needs some green.

Broccoli is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

- Scrambled eggs

- Rashers (as long as you don't like them crisp, which I don't !)

- Salmon fillet. Cover in clingfilm 3 mins, perfect.

- Sweet potato

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

As far as I'm concerned a microwave is a heating or re-heating tool, and should never be used to cook anything. I don't trust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

Carrots. Brocolli. Find both of these come out nice and crispy, more difficult to overcook in the microwave.

c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 higgo1888

everything tastes better in the microwave........ when u come home from the pub pissed and starving:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

*Have a plastic thingy to do poached eggs, gorgeous taste, no sloppy wetness on them that you get from a pot, and no chance of me accidently breaking the yolk everywhere. :)
    *Scrambled eggs, no dry parts, or too wet.
    *Steamed veg, so easy, my steamer is one from 1995 and takes as long to set up and to clean as it does cooking
    *Baked potatoes, can eat the nice skin after too, always gets dry in the oven and only taking 10 mins = win!
    *Mince pies being heated
    *Heating milk tastes nicer, might be the metal saucepan on the hob making it taste weird

I think I'd die without a microwave, my mother is weird about people using her hob/oven, without my microwave I'd probably have starved about 10 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭silversurfer

Baked potatoes - cut a big dep x in them and cook in microwave on high. and if you wrap them in tinfoil afterwards they'll continue cooking and keep hot (fantastic for BBQ in summer)

Scrambled eggs - 1 egg, dash of milk, salt and pepper, small knob of butter. mix roughly with a fork (you don't need it completly mixed. Cook for 1/2 to 1 minute intervals , stirring after each 1/2 minute, takes about 2 to 3 minutes max.

Rice - I bought a cheap rice cooker from amazon (cause my dad had one)
    it's a plastic container with two lids (one internal, and one normal) (it's white with a red top and about €10)
    Add 1 cup rice, 1 and a bit cups of boiling water from kettle, some butter or olive oil, cook on high for approx 6 to 8 minutes, once you have the time right and the correct amount of water , you'll get perfect rice each time.
    works for normal long gain and basmatti, and probally any other types of rice you have.
    Tip: if the rice is sticking together at the end or is still a bit wet, cover with a tea towel for a minute.

Heating coffee - I make pots of coffee, if it's left on the heating plate it uses up electricity and the coffee gets too strong, so the microwave is fantastic for heating the coffee up.

Kebabs - heat up the frozen ones from lidl, tasty

Beans, spaghetti hoops (in tomato sauce), soup - microwave is brilliant for heating these up, just don't over cook them. I generally do the beans for 1 minute at a time, as sometimes they get mushy.

Porridge - quickly done in microwave

Warm or hot milk for drinks or cereal - quickly done in microwave

We used to use one of the microwave dishes with metal in them to do rashers, when i was a kid. I just find it too much of a hassle these days.
    but you can put rashers on a plate and cover with a paper towel and cook in the microwave, they're not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Scorpio Girl

spuds - i have a steamer thing for the microwave and you get lovely spuds in 8 minutes

ready brek - stir after 1 minute and then put in back in for 30 secs or 1 minute, depending on how hot you like it

brown fish aka smoked coley - bit of butter, pepper and salt, 8 minutes, delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

scrambled eggs and popcorn.

my mom passed on her hatred of them to me:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭nowimtalking

Its definatley not crazy, they are the same thing except you will have prick marks!

Advertisement