Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Embarrassing) Question About Renting: Can I put a nail in The Wall?

Options
  • 19-01-2009 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Shameful I know. I genuinely don't know the answer.

Im moving out for the first time and intend on renting a new development apartment thats on Daft.

My question is: Are you not allowed to put a nail in the wall to put up a picture, paint the place a different colour etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Check the lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭MaryCat!

I think the nail in the wall would be ok. Painting the place though, you might have to check with the owner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

I know that landlords sometimes consider a nail in a wall as "severe damage" and refuse handing the deposit back. id*ots! had to go via threshold to the PRTB once...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I'd get one of those plastic hooks with the 3 little pins and carefully position it on the wall. I don't think there'd be much objection if the landlord is reasonable.

I do think it would be worth saying that you'd like to use 1 of those buit won't be driving loads of them(or nails) all over the joint!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

For painting the apartment you will need to get permission from the landlord and it should be in writing.

For the painting in most cases you'd be ok to just put on of those plastic picture hooks up, but you're better off asking the landlord just in case he won't like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 dandelion

You can put nails in , paint walls and ceilings, and make the place your home, as long as you are prepared to put it back the way it was when you are leaving. If you paint an exotic colour and it was originally neutral then you must paint it back a neutral colour before you leave. IF you put nails in walls you must remove them and fill the holes and touch up the paint before you leave.
    Common sense normally applies.

If you lease a place for a year and are handing it back in excellent condition with two small nails in the bedroom walls most agents and landlords won't care. If you lease a place for a year, want to leave befre the end of the lease, don't bother to clean it and you have made holes in the wall... then watch out. If you want to be sure, talk to the agent or landlord then drop him a line confirming the content of your phone call and send the letter by registered post keeping a copy and receipt of delivery, then your as* is completely covered. Good luck with the new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My lease restricts putting anything on the wall or making any cosmetic changes, better to check with LL

Advertisement