Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kaka rejects City

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well the one that slowed it down for a while was Lentini's move to Milan for ridiculous money.
    It went quiet after that, but got going again after a few years. For me the Denilson one marked the start of it again, I mean he was unheard of, and then Vieri's huge transfer in Italy just set it all off again. I can't remember off hand how much that was but it was deffo 25m or more. And it all went mental again after that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

eagle eye wrote: »
    I can't remember off hand how much that was but it was deffo 25m or more. And it all went mental again after that.

32.5, crazyness of the highest order

Savman wrote: »
    Huh? Speak american.

its from the Milan Anthem.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Some kind of sense has prevailed here. I said it a few days ago, and I'll say it again:

£100m is a disgusting amount of money to offer for one man.

Not one man.

Kaká, there's a difference, and I wouldn't sell him for 1billion.

From Milan Channel interview.

"Not even for thirty seconds did I think about leaving," he stated.

“I never wanted money or anything. I am doing very well in a place where people respect and love me, and I am therefore happy to be here.

“My family has been very good to me as always, however I had no doubts as to what I would be doing this time around.

“I went with my heart, as it was never going to be an economic choice for me.

“At Milan there are wonderful people, and just to confirm, I have never, and will never, ask for an increase in my wages at this club.

“Everyone here is very good to me, and for this I can only thank them,” he added.

“I will be celebrating at home with a couple of friends now that this is all over, and I’m just looking ahead to moving forward with Milan.

“I am a strong believer in God; however it is not always the most logical path that God chooses for us.

“If the club had accepted an offer, I would have been very upset and disappointing in leaving.

“My companions have been exceptional to me as well over this time, even though they knew that I was never going to join Manchester City.

“I would like to embrace all those who have sent me messages recently, so thank you all very much,” he concluded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Good and bad news for Arsenal in this. Id say that Man City will look to arshavin now. The deal with Arsenal was supposed to be done in a few days. this will put a spanner in the works:mad:

Well done kaka. He made the right choice.

500 fans were moved from the mailn HQ this after noon and moved out to the area Kaka lives in and according to reports he came to his window waving a Milan shirt and beating his chest.

That's love.

Kaká <3's il Rossoneri Tifosi :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

jank wrote: »
    Good and bad news for Arsenal in this. Id say that Man City will look to arshavin now. The deal with Arsenal was supposed to be done in a few days. this will put a spanner in the works:mad:.
    I think the whole footballing world, especially in England, is awaiting City's next move. If they decide to shop locally, there won't be anyone who will enter a bidding war with them. Throws a spanner in the works of the entire PL transfer window tbh and it means clubs will be even more secretive about their targets to stop the moneybags sabotaging their scouting network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Thank christ, on a personal front I'm glad he's staying with Milan, I have a soft spot for the club and would hate to see them lose their best players (unless he came to Chelsea of course ;P) but from a common sense stand point the price tag of 100m would have unbalanced the value structure of footballers completely.

Fair play Kaka, you've shown that not ALL professional footballers are out for the money .o>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I heard the reason the deal fell threw is because when they first rang Milan, they said "We're interested in bringing Kaka to Manchester" but when he found out it was Man City he laughed so much he suffered a hernia and failed the medical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Seaneh wrote: »
    500 fans were moved from the mailn HQ this after noon and moved out to the area Kaka lives in and according to reports he came to his window waving a Milan shirt and beating his chest.

That's love.

Kaká <3's il Rossoneri Tifosi :D

here is the pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Fair play to kaka, I don't think "siamo venuti fin'qua, siamo venuti fin'qua, per vedere segnare kaka" would have the same ring to it with a Mancunian accent.

Reading the press on it reminds me how much of a knob Berlusconi is.

carlop wrote: »
    Fair play to kaka, I don't think "siamo venuti fin'qua, siamo venuti fin'qua, per vedere segnare kaka" would have the same ring to it with a Mancunian accent.

Reading the press on it reminds me how much of a knob Berlusconi is.

Why, he blocked the deal at Kaká request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I doubt Kaka would have moved to City.

With all respect to City, however much money they have, they are still at least 2 seasons away from a top 4 challenge because the have so much ground to make up and one player, even a player like Kaka, won't make that difference. They aren't any better this season with Robinho.

The media suggested he wanted a clause to say he could leave in 2 years if the team was not in the CL.
    Kaka is 26? 27? he is now in his prime for his position. Spending 2 years at a Club in transition would be career suicide. Would he win any honors? If not, is her certain a big club will want to pay for him in 2 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

And now Robinho has "stormed out" of their training camp in Tenerife.

Did anyone NOT predict him storming out at some stage??

Fair play to Kaka, he has restored my faith in footballers. Bellamy, well no surprises, he only thinks about number 1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5h70esCikR_WtbYjyUkrTmJrxLnUw

Robinho leaves City training camp

Manchester City's record signing Robinho has left the club's training camp in Tenerife, it has been confirmed.

The club have given no official reason for the Brazilian's departure.

They are refusing to comment on speculation Robinho stormed out, or that he has returned to South America.

However, it is another dose of bad news following Kaka's rejection of a lucrative transfer from AC Milan late Monday night.

teehee :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

No point in having all that money if nobody wants it.

LOL @ robinho storming out. They obviously told him they'd be getting Kaka in January and now he's gone into a huff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

People seem to be forgetting though that City signed Craig Bellamy yesterday,a snip at £14m! Get over Kaka FFS :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Sizzler wrote: »
    People seem to be forgetting though that City signed Craig Bellamy yesterday,a snip at £14m! Get over Kaka FFS :D
    That's why Robinho stormed out :p

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    LOL @ robinho storming out. They obviously told him they'd be getting Kaka in January and now he's gone into a huff.

Cue transfer request being handed in from Sao Paulo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Boggles wrote: »
    I may be talking poop, but doesn't Messi have a release clause of £85 million?

For what it is worth...
    According to Spanish newspapers Messi signed an new and improved contract with Barca.
    Like all players in Spain he has a clause in his contract staing how much it will cost to buy him.
    Messi now would cost €200 million.

inforfun wrote: »
    For what it is worth...
    According to Spanish newspapers Messi signed an new and improved contract with Barca.
    Like all players in Spain he has a clause in his contract staing how much it will cost to buy him.
    And no doubt City sould easily afford it but what money can't buy is the hypnotic powers to try and convince this standard of player to move to Eastlands ;)

Maybe they should give the bowl Tony a shout?

http://www.tonyquinn.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

joe123 wrote: »
    Robinho off in the summer?? I think thats a bit of a daft statement there to be honest.:cool::cool:

Still think it's daft?! The boy has previous of going on strike.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4821824,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

And no doubt City sould easily afford it but what money can't buy is the hypnotic powers to try and convince this standard of player to move to Eastlands ;)

Maybe they should give the bowl Tony a shout?

http://www.tonyquinn.com/

That is the point.
    I read somewhere that Hughes thought it would take 4 transfer windows to get the squad they want there.
    That sounds realistic enough but they should aim lower than Kaka in the first transfer window. Slowly built a tam that will become attractive enough for the big stars.

Of course money plays a part but I think if Barca would have made him a lower offer, he would have gone there if Milan had accepted the transfersum.
    All to do with who he will play with.
    To me it sounds a lot more attractive to play with Messi, Henry and Eto'o than being in the same team with Bellamy, Dunne and De Jong (if that goes on).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

inforfun wrote: »
    For what it is worth...

If Kaka is worth €120 million then Messi is easily worth €200 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I reckon kakas church is pissed off with him, they would have had a nice cash injection if he accepted.
    It was funny seeing milan fans protesting, they did the exact same as city are trying to do. Berlusconi took over a rubbish team and bought all the best players he could, breaking the transfer record for Guillit

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Guisseppeth

For everyone commending Kaka on not taking the money here is an interview by City Executive Chairman Garry Cook. Somebody was obviously after the cash.....

"The player was clearly for sale," Cook said. "We had entered into a confidentiality agreement weeks ago but, in my personal opinion, they bottled it."

As Cook confirmed, negotiations had been ongoing for weeks, with Milan in full knowledge of the significance of their move.

“We had gone through a three or four-stage process in which Milan made it quite clear Kaka was for sale and we made it clear we intended to bring him to Manchester City,” he said.

“As we got to the next stage there were questions they could not answer and I think the political and public pressure made them change their conditions.

“We never even met the player. We met his representative, his father, but we had discussed commercial terms only.”

But Cook felt that rather than looking at the wider picture, the deal just turned into one about money.

“The agenda we thought we were on was about Kaka coming on a journey with this club but at the end the only journey they were on was a fiscal one,” added Cook.

“We'll continue on our journey but he won't be a part of it. Deals with the greatest players are more than complex.

“It would have been great to have him with us but what got in the way was the behaviour of AC Milan and I think they bottled it.

“We got to talk to Kaka's father. His father said he was very interested in the project and we talked about humanitarian potential factors but when we got into discussions those issues took a back seat and financial demands came to the fore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

For everyone commending Kaka on not taking the money here is an interview by City Executive Chairman Garry Cook. Somebody was obviously after the cash.....

"The player was clearly for sale," Cook said. "We had entered into a confidentiality agreement weeks ago but, in my personal opinion, they bottled it."

As Cook confirmed, negotiations had been ongoing for weeks, with Milan in full knowledge of the significance of their move.

“We had gone through a three or four-stage process in which Milan made it quite clear Kaka was for sale and we made it clear we intended to bring him to Manchester City,” he said.

“As we got to the next stage there were questions they could not answer and I think the political and public pressure made them change their conditions.

“We never even met the player. We met his representative, his father, but we had discussed commercial terms only.”

But Cook felt that rather than looking at the wider picture, the deal just turned into one about money.

“The agenda we thought we were on was about Kaka coming on a journey with this club but at the end the only journey they were on was a fiscal one,” added Cook.

“We'll continue on our journey but he won't be a part of it. Deals with the greatest players are more than complex.

“It would have been great to have him with us but what got in the way was the behaviour of AC Milan and I think they bottled it.

“We got to talk to Kaka's father. His father said he was very interested in the project and we talked about humanitarian potential factors but when we got into discussions those issues took a back seat and financial demands came to the fore

And you belive cook of all people? The father wanted money yeah. And milan. Not Kaka

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,452 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It could be Cook is trying to save face for City by saying these things. One out of Kaka, Berlisconi (sp) and Cook is lying, don't see why we should assume it is Milan and Kaka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It could be Cook is trying to save face for City by saying these things. One out of Kaka, Berlisconi (sp) and Cook is lying, don't see why we should assume it is Milan and Kaka.

This

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

eh because berlusconi is there, not exactly the most honest of men

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

107m for Kaka is not as ridiculous as 13m for Gianluigi Lentini :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,452 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

bigstar wrote: »
    eh because berlusconi is there, not exactly the most honest of men

Still leaves Kaka - he has said he stayed for football reasons, becuase other things were more important than the money being offered by Man City - why should I believe Cook over Kaka? (why should I believe Kaka over cook is the return question, but that is kinda the point)

LOL, not much of a confidentiality agreement if Cook is banging on about it now in the media as soon as things didnt go his way. I doubt if that will do him any favours the next time he goes to negotiate with a big club, saving face or otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

It'll be funny if Milan don't get into the Champions League again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Paparazzo wrote: »
    It was funny seeing milan fans protesting, they did the exact same as city are trying to do. Berlusconi took over a rubbish team and bought all the best players he could, breaking the transfer record for Guillit

Milan were not exactly rubbish when he took them over. 10 league titles, 4 coppa italias, 2 uefa cups, 2 european cups all before Silvio bought the team.

They went through a period of relegation after being caught up in a financial scandal and were in the process of getting back on their feet when SB bough in.

Yes he invested a lot of money but now now they are one of the best run clubs in the world who regularly attract some of the best players in the world. Why wouldn't the fans protest at the selling of one of their main stars?

I have as much reason to believe Cook as other people believe Berlusconi. The mans a career politician who has never been far from controversy and for him to claim that it was he who stopped the sale is just laughable. He clearly wanted to sell the player so he would have to stop funding Milan from his own pocket for a while, but now "he is like a son to me etc etc etc"

I just wanted to point out that there are 2 sides to every story though the only side we are seeing this morning are those which are favouring Milan (until this Cook interview broke). City are getting a lot of bad press these days and most, if not all, of it is unwaranted.

As a City fan I'm obviously disappointed that the deal didn't go through as it would have been great to see him playing for us but everything happens for a reason, right?? I'm happy enough with the other signings Mark Hughes has been making and think we will comfortably (hopefully) make our way up the table sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm glad - not because of City, just that it seems like a temporary victory for integrity against the pantomime money of the premiership.

LOL, not much of a confidentiality agreement if Cook is banging on about it now in the media as soon as things didnt go his way. I doubt if that will do him any favours the next time he goes to negotiate with a big club, saving face or otherwise.

Obviously this no longer applies if the deal is dead?

I'm assuming he was pointing out that this agreement was in place but somehow the story got into the press and I think its widely accepted that it didn't come from City so it was obviously the Italian club or Kakas advisors testing the waters to see fans reactions, interest from other clubs etc etc

At the end of the day I don't think any of us really expected him to want to come to City and if he did it would have been because he had to as Milan were keen to sell. So in reality we are probably better off not having an unhappy player who didn't want to be there.

And anyway - we signed Bellamy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Can City not keep these bids private?

Take the reported 14 million fee paid for Bellamy, twice what the hammers paid for him a couple of years ago, he played maybe 20 times and is nearly 30.

I think that is crazier than 100million for Kaka.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

every record bid is "crazy" or "too much money for a player". It's going to happen with ronaldo or someone else soon enough.

Boggles wrote: »
    Can City not keep these bids private?

Take the reported 14 million fee paid for Bellamy, twice what the hammers paid for him a couple of years ago, he played maybe 20 times and is nearly 30.

I think that is crazier than 100million for Kaka.

City signed him for an undisclosed fee http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pageid=115&pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=6625465&siteid=&pageno=&newscategory=&frommonth=11&fromyear=2008&tomonth=1&toyear=2009

Its the press who "make up" these figures. The only transfer deals where you know the real fee will be those who are PLCs as they have to make statements to the Stock Exchange and publish their accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

City signed him for an undisclosed fee http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pageid=115&pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=6625465&siteid=&pageno=&newscategory=&frommonth=11&fromyear=2008&tomonth=1&toyear=2009

Its the press who "make up" these figures. The only transfer deals where you know the real fee will be those who are PLCs as they have to make statements to the Stock Exchange and publish their accounts.

I was thinking that alright.

iregk wrote: »
    Milan were not exactly rubbish when he took them over. 10 league titles, 4 coppa italias, 2 uefa cups, 2 european cups all before Silvio bought the team.

They went through a period of relegation after being caught up in a financial scandal and were in the process of getting back on their feet when SB bough in.

Yes he invested a lot of money but now now they are one of the best run clubs in the world who regularly attract some of the best players in the world. Why wouldn't the fans protest at the selling of one of their main stars?

Ok, it would be like if Villa were taken over by rich owners and they tried to buy him. 90% of Milans success is from Berlusconi pumping money into the club. The dodgiest italian politition since mussolini

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Was really hoping for him to go to City, it would have been nice for the Fantasy Football....and instead he decided to stay in an equally weak team and getting his *** kicked by better teams (and I am not talking about Inter Milan) in the years to come. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Ok, it would be like if Villa were taken over by rich owners and they tried to buy him. 90% of Milans success is from Berlusconi pumping money into the club. The dodgiest italian politition since mussolini

I know exactly who Berlusconi and Milan are! I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him and he is possibly the most corrupt Italian in the history of the country. That said I think its very unfair to say 90% of Milans success is based on him.

Titles before SB: 10
    Titles since SB: 7

EC/CL before SB: 2
    EC / CL since SB: 5

UEFA Cup before SB: 2
    UEFA Cup since SB: 0

Coppa before SB: 4
    Coppa since SB: 1

All be it the before SB is over a larger time scale than the current time scale but you can clearly see they were already a very successful club before his arrival. More successful really than since his arrival.

Also there are 2 Serie B titles in there as well before he arrived!

iregk wrote: »
    I know exactly who Berlusconi and Milan are! I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him and he is possibly the most corrupt Italian in the history of the country. That said I think its very unfair to say 90% of Milans success is based on him.

Titles before SB: 10
    Titles since SB: 7

EC/CL before SB: 2
    EC / CL since SB: 5

UEFA Cup before SB: 2
    UEFA Cup since SB: 0

Coppa before SB: 4
    Coppa since SB: 1

All be it the before SB is over a larger time scale than the current time scale but you can clearly see they were already a very successful club before his arrival. More successful really than since his arrival.

Also there are 2 Serie B titles in there as well before he arrived!
    The timescale is the important thing there. Anyway, I'm just pointing out that lots of teams have a sugar daddy that comes in and buys leagues, milan are no different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

joe123 wrote: »
    So will attention turn towards Villa maybe?

Valencia would happily take the money City owuld pay for him now, becasue they'd be the only ones who would pay the money Valencia want to get him in January, but since Villa only signed a new contract a year or so ago I'd expect him to say no and hold out for his Barca/Real move in the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Seaneh wrote: »
    Why, he blocked the deal at Kaká request.
    I have as much reason to believe Cook as other people believe Berlusconi. The mans a career politician who has never been far from controversy and for him to claim that it was he who stopped the sale is just laughable. He clearly wanted to sell the player so he would have to stop funding Milan from his own pocket for a while, but now "he is like a son to me etc etc etc"

I just wanted to point out that there are 2 sides to every story though the only side we are seeing this morning are those which are favouring Milan (until this Cook interview broke). City are getting a lot of bad press these days and most, if not all, of it is unwaranted.

As a City fan I'm obviously disappointed that the deal didn't go through as it would have been great to see him playing for us but everything happens for a reason, right?? I'm happy enough with the other signings Mark Hughes has been making and think we will comfortably (hopefully) make our way up the table sooner rather than later.

All Berlusconi has done here is apply a bit of spin to the situation to make himself appear as the hero who has saved the day, the champion of the Milanese people. The man is an absolute master at spouting bs, how else could someone so obviously corrupt have been elected 3 times? He'll probably end up joining FF whenever he's done in Italy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement