Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting Newbie

Options
  • 20-01-2009 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

I am looking to rent out an appartment in Ashbourne. I am willing to pay a max of €800 a month. I earn about €2000 a month before tax. I reckon I would spend €100 a month on the toll bridge. I am very reluctant on paying €800 a month as it is nearly half of what I earn. Then I would have to pay bills on top of it as well. I have never rented before as I have always been living at home. I am just looking for a bit of advice at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I am looking to rent out an appartment in Ashbourne.

<snip>

I reckon I would spend €100 a month on the toll bridge.
    So, where do you work (area wise), and why Ashbourne?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

the_syco wrote: »
    So, where do you work (area wise), and why Ashbourne?

Work in Naas. It is handier for my gf for college and it is close to were I live and close to Dublin.

Had a look around, and it seems €800 is the going rate, in Asbourne, Swords, Naas, etc.

=-=

Nearer to the city, the rents drop. In Drumcondra, there were a few below €800 You'll need to ask about traffic heading north on the N2, to see if it suits you ok, though.

Unsure where your gf goes to college. If it's southside, you may get a nice place not too dear in a decent location near the N81 (unsure about the area, though). Northside... most of the locations that suit you (ie: near the N2 or N3) may not be as favourable. Some estates are fine, but there are a few with a bad rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I was just thinking. The apartment that we're looking at is a two bedroom apartment. Would landlords mind sub letting the other room and that woukd help pay the rent. I know everyone has their own feelings on this, but would many landlords allow this?

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I was just thinking. The apartment that we're looking at is a two bedroom apartment. Would landlords mind sub letting the other room and that woukd help pay the rent. I know everyone has their own feelings on this, but would many landlords allow this?
    Depends on the landlord. Some don't mind, some don't want the hassle (you move out, they're left with a tenant in a room within a unit that they'd prefer to let as a unit, as opposed to per room).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would seriously suggest you find somewhere closer to either your work or her college.

I presume you work 5 days, shes in college several days a week, but you only visit home 1-2 times a week?

€800 is a little steep on that salary, but do I take it that you are paying for two? Is she not contributing?

It would make sense to have someone join you in the other room.

To continue Victors line of thinking, here's a thought: look up the area south of Maynooth village, Celbridge or maybe Leixlip.

Here's one in Celbridge: http://www.daft.ie/220246

Celbridge is good, as it has a train that drops you into Heuston (where you can get lots of buses from, and the Luas red line) in about 30-40 minutes, there's a bus also that drops you to Bacherlors Walk, next to the O'Connell bridge. Also, it's good for you, as you can get to Naas quick enough.
    Here's the way I know to take, but you can also probably take this road as well, since you'll be in Celbridge. I think the latter one goes by the railway station. The village itself is also nice enough.

=-=

Oh, and why not share? Bad experiences, or ye want to hump away like rabbits, and not have someone hear you? :D

Advertisement