Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Frusciante

Options
  • 20-01-2009 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

What do you guys reckon of this guy as a solo artist now that RHCP are basically finished.
    For me his vocals are much like Aaron lewis who can engage the listener never mind his great guitar playing.

Any Views

Here a link to one of his songs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIvzwjVFvqk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 leon45

Chili peppers done? :rolleyes: sure...

Looking forward to JFs 11th solo album, 2 weeks to go...

Woo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Hino wrote: »
    What do you guys reckon of this guy as a solo artist now that RHCP are basically finished.
    For me his vocals are much like Aaron lewis who can engage the listener never mind his great guitar playing.

Any Views

Here a link to one of his songs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIvzwjVFvqk

Yeah, i've a view. The Chili's are anything but finished. After the guts of 10 years of constant recording and touring, the band are taking a well earned break.

Also this isn't Frusciante's first solo effort either. His voice never appealed to me at all, his backing on the Chili's work gives me a headache. That said, he's one hell of a guitarist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Love his singing and hes gutiar playing, shadows collide with people and inside of emptyness are two AMAZING albums. There the only ones i have, anyone else care to recommend me another?

Curtains or The Will to Death would probalbly be the best choices

unless you are feeling very experimental =
    Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T-Shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

I have his new album and Im starting to really like it. I loved the song unreachable from his myspace site so was looking forward to this one. The new one takes a bit of effort to listen to. it takes a few listens but its well worth it. Its a very good album and his voice is getting better. He released 6 albums in 6 months in 2004. They are all different. One was a dance orientated and one 'Curtains' as ostly acoustic. Check out the DC EP too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 ni4979

I hope the Chili's arent splitting.I'm a huge John Frusciante fan though. I can't wait to get the new album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Kennington

John Frusciante ruined the Red Hot Chili Peppers when he came back to join them, Californication was a pretty good album but you could see where they were headed, by the time By the Way came out it was all over. The Red Hot Chili Peppers lost their balls.

RIP guys.

Kennington wrote: »
    John Frusciante ruined the Red Hot Chili Peppers when he came back to join them, Californication was a pretty good album but you could see where they were headed, by the time By the Way came out it was all over. The Red Hot Chili Peppers lost their balls.

So whats your Favourite RHCP Album? OHM? :eek:

Yea I do like One Hot Minute, there are some great songs on that, I also love Blood Sugar Sex Magik (Frusciante back in the day was great, post-junkie Frusciante i cant stand) I love Mothers Milk but id probably have to say my favourite album of theirs is The Uplift Mofo Party Plan

favourite album of theirs is The Uplift Mofo Party Plan

Fair enough, but one hot minute is dreadful

I'd have to disagree about Frusciante leading to the way BTW and SA have been, sets say more pop-ish. i mean say BTW Can't Stop was written by John but Universally Speaking written by Flea

• Advertisement

I dont see why people dont like One Hot Minute, its quite a strange album, but I really do think its one of their best. Its the most depressing no doubt, its basically their final heroin album, and boy is it a heroin album, but I think the difference between One Hot Minute and the rest of their albums is Dave Navarro, he brings in a more grungier and harder beat to the band, its the heaviest stuff theyve done so far, and some tracks are my favourite RHCP songs of all time -

Aeroplane
    Coffee Shop
    One Big Mob
    Deep Kick
    Shallow Be Thy Game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

One Hot Minute is a Janes Addiction tribute album.

Frusciante is the talented chili pepper.

Sugar Magik all the way

RIP guys.

I do see where this guy is coming from, but the blame dart missed the board by inches. Even if Navarro had stayed with the band, it would have headed that way. I also feel that if Frusciante had stayed in 92, that OHM would have been very similar though, more down to Kiedis's rampant heroin usage than anything else, which as a result, a very dark album was produced. If you want to pin the blame on someone for OHM, it's Kiedis, not the guitarists.

That said, Chili's with Navarro wasn't going to work out at all, Amazing guitarist but not for that band. :)

I can definately see where you are coming from, some songs do sound very very Janes Addiction (Warped, im looking at you!:rolleyes:) but for some reason I think OHM the album was the last time the Peppers sang from their heart, its not meant to be a nice cuddely wuddely album like Stadium Arcadium, or By The Way, its a dark dark album and Keidis in particular seems to be troubled, but I always thought tortured musicians make better music than happy ones and I cant help but love One Hot Minute, even with its flaws.

Dave Navarro didnt really work but I enjoyed the time he was in the band, I think he brought something new to the band for the briefest of times he was there, I also think the Chili Peppers did their finest cover with Navarro - Rollercoaster.

I didnt even buy Stadium Arcadium when it came out, I knew exactly what it was going to be like before it came out and when I heard it a few weeks later my suspiscions were confirmed, its neutered, theres no purpose to the songs anymore and for the first time that I can remember, they seem to be 'borrowing' songs from other artists (Im talkin about Dani California sounding a lot like Last Dance with Mary Jane by Tom Petty)

That old tom petty thing - what a load of ****

Fair enough-SA wasn't good but then how many bands get the Double Album right, minus the Beatles no one! (or very very very few)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

his first few albums were pure **** he simply sold to put junk in his vains!!!he was very lucky to not lose both his hands you know!!!but man he's got talent in abundance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I can definately see where you are coming from, some songs do sound very very Janes Addiction (Warped, im looking at you!:rolleyes:) but for some reason I think OHM the album was the last time the Peppers sang from their heart, its not meant to be a nice cuddely wuddely album like Stadium Arcadium, or By The Way, its a dark dark album and Keidis in particular seems to be troubled, but I always thought tortured musicians make better music than happy ones and I cant help but love One Hot Minute, even with its flaws.

Dave Navarro didnt really work but I enjoyed the time he was in the band, I think he brought something new to the band for the briefest of times he was there, I also think the Chili Peppers did their finest cover with Navarro - Rollercoaster.

I didnt even buy Stadium Arcadium when it came out, I knew exactly what it was going to be like before it came out and when I heard it a few weeks later my suspiscions were confirmed, its neutered, theres no purpose to the songs anymore and for the first time that I can remember, they seem to be 'borrowing' songs from other artists (Im talkin about Dani California sounding a lot like Last Dance with Mary Jane by Tom Petty)

He brought fire out of firemans helmets.The last chili peppers record was dung,that is a given, and their last 3 tours were all the same.....but 1992 to 1996 were badlands for them......utter dogsh1t.......For extra points....Janes Addiction are dogsh1t........Los Angeles staring at the sun having regrets for self inflicted dogsh1t dogsh1t.......they had one good song (been caught steailing) the rest sounds like Bob Dylan jerking off to a George Clinton record.

Again, John Frusciante is the talent in the red hot chili peppers. They were mediocre before he joined and woeful after he left, then pretty nifty when he joined again.2 talented musicians and 1 Keidis should be grateful they ever met the guy because he made them all rich.....

....however, I understand HBO are making a Entourage-esque show based on Keidis' biography...I will definitely watch that..because the man is an entertainer.

leon45 wrote: »

It's not really, Petty would have had a pretty strong case had he sued. Instead, he laughed it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I love this tune...

To Record Only Water for Ten Days is a fab album :)
    I've not got them 6albums he released that year when he released one a month - they're too expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

He's a great artist. I didn't like his solo stuff until about a year back, but once you start listening to him for a while you can't help but love his music. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Frusciante is the talented chili pepper.

nothing wrong with that :)

I think OHM is one of their better albums (to me). My Friends, Aeroplane etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

His albums seem rather expensive to buy though which is a bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

Well everyone, you'll be happy to know that John is rumoured to be leaving RHCP. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

snooleen wrote: »
    Well everyone, you'll be happy to know that John is rumoured to be leaving RHCP. :(

Yup, heard that too, here's a link to where i heard it:
    http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/john-frusciante-has-left-red-hot-chili-peppers-says-source-229551

Anyway, i always thought that they had one or two good songs, but really their albums were just full of filler material for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

Never really got into his solo stuff- I always got a sort of indulgent vibe from it to be honest, but by God, his guitar work on BSSM (only 21 years old then!), that whole album in general, is one of the pillars of 90s rock.

And I really don't mind the melodic sort of angle he took them to when he came back, although By The Way really isn't as good as previous efforts, I enjoy listening to it and his guitar ditties.

As for Stadium Arcadium, thought it was a bad mix of two ideas and then the songs just came out as super filler.

In fact, I'm going to give BSSM a listen right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

In fairness the last 3 albums all blended into each other and were fairly bland for the most part. They seemed to have lost the feel that they used to have. Maybe the new blood coming into the band will give them a bit of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

hopefully him leaving means his solo stuff will be even better, I quite like what he's been doing so far with the solo stuff, so we'll see how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

leon45 wrote: »

Fair enough-SA wasn't good but then how many bands get the Double Album right, minus the Beatles no one! (or very very very few)

Zeppelin and The Who and the Pumpkins...

...but yeah it's a small number ok

OT - Of the post-junkie Frusciante albms Californication is pretty good, By The Way is a nice idea but the execution is poor, in fact it's one of those albums that i have at home that i wish was better, i want to like it but don't get it...and Stadium Arcadium while is pretty much the sound of the previous two, is a bit of an improvement though overall it just has too much filler and is self-indulgent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement