Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Forum vs. Soccer Forum, Sun 22nd February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Frisbee wrote: »
    In the worst incident of the match poor Kayroo's boot burst open.

Awwwwww

Nah the worst was definitely when Gordon (I think it was) got snipered in the box. How a peno wasn't given I'll never know! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Nah the worst was definitely when Gordon (I think it was) got snipered in the box. How a peno wasn't given I'll never know! :P

How do you think he got his boards name "Trippie"

Great craic though, I love a good physical challenge.

Indeed, though it's important not to get too excited and leave your legs open! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Was that the one in the first 3rd just outside the box? Drogba would have been proud of that one, it brought me back to the days of watching platoon on soccer am, an obvious case of snipers in the crowd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,567 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

colly10 wrote: »
    Was that the one in the first 3rd just outside the box? Drogba would have been proud of that one, it brought me back to the days of watching platoon on soccer am, an obvious case of snipers in the crowd :)

Nah think it was second period coz I saw it and I wasn't there for the first.
    Quality stuff...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Football friday sat, and yesterday has me actually dreading training tonight but sure then i have two days off before it starts on thursday again.

Was a pretty clean game to be honest played in the right way. Even when the score started to stretch everyone kept there cool even Xavi who was maybe a little frustrated. :mad:

One or two more players would be all it takes to even the match a bit more. Only a few mistakes really led to goals one or two there was nothing the keeper could do either. ACtually angered i didnt get on the score sheet in an 8-0 win. Im being greedy next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Xavi only has one audio level, it's eleven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

Ricky, how bad is the toe? Are you ok or is it genuinely bollixed?

No it's defo broken - I am not 100% sure but I think it happened when Jeff played the ball over to me in the second third and I stretched to make contact with it as Colly walloped me challenging for the ball.

I got a few tough challenges yesterday, but it's all good

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

No it's defo broken - I am not 100% sure but I think it happened when Jeff played the ball over to me in the second third and I stretched to make contact with it as Colly walloped me challenging for the ball.

Sure you are a big lad,nothing you cant handle.

Frisbee wrote: »
    In the worst incident of the match poor Kayroo's boot burst open.

Awwwwww

I am still bulling about that tbh. Loved those boots. Ah well. Have to get a new pair for the next time.

That was even funnier than Troy playing barefoot last time and falling over under no pressure in the box. Best swing and a miss I've seen in ages.
    Indeed, though it's important not to get too excited and leave your legs open! ;):D
    :mad:

Getting nutmegged: Bad.
    Getting nutmegged and the ****er calling it: Infuriating
    Making up for it by scoring and stuffing the oppo 8-0: Worth it.

• Advertisement

Nasty. How long you reckon you're out for? Need to go get an X-ray or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

People are looking at me strange in work hobbling around like an old man!!

Ditto - I feel like Benjamin Button just after birth :pac:

Nasty. How long you reckon you're out for? Need to go get an X-ray or anything?

I may strap it up and play today in our 6-a-side league that we play

I may strap it up and play today in our 6-a-side league that we play

5174.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Worst tackle I got was from Breffni, my own keeper.

Poker forum 8 (4-4-2) – soccer forum 0 (4-5-1)

Our tactics were very much to play a similar style as a month ago. The idea was the get the ball wide and up front quickly and support from there.

Our opponents had clearly come with a game play. Last time they were destroyed upfront, this time they played 5 in the middle. They also played much closer to the back 4 when defending, much more of a unit. Daragh and I upfront were marked a lot tighter and we had to work for every bit of space we got and weren't allowed to turn lightly.

I feel we went out a little cocky from the last game (that's poker egos for you) and immediately we found ourselves under pressure. When we had the ball we were trying to knock it around and the opposition were hounding everything. For the first 15 minutes they had much more of the possession without creating anything in the way of a chance. Our back 4 were solid and were getting no change and our midfield were giving as good as they got despite been our opponents playing an extra midfielder.

Around 20 minutes in we were awarded a free kick which Jeff took and scored with. To say it was a lucky goal would be an understatement. In a race between Jeff's shot and a snail, it would have being close. Shortly after that I latched on to a poor goal kick to score.

Shortly into the second period Daragh scored our third from a great pass from Danny. Apart from this it was a much closer affair and a really good game of football. Due to the soccer forums formation and tactics they were always going to struggle for goals though and with our boys and keeper playing well they weren’t going to get much,

In the final third we scored 5 goals, Jeff, Daragh, Fran, Keith and Fintan, Fran’s would be the pick of the goals for me with a good shot from outside the area.

Llyod did really well in goal for them when he came on at 3-0. I think we would have struggled if it had not been for the two gifts we received. I was very proud of our team; everyone put in 100% and played out of their skins. I was a little disappointed offensively that we didn’t get the ball up to the strikers quicker and that we didn’t link as well up there as we had in the other games, but defensively we were superb.

Breifnie – commanded the area well and made some excellent saves
    Kayroo – dominant at the back, scored a great goal but was a little careless in possession once or twice after we went a couple of goals up
    Tonc76 – dominant at the back and played some great balls
    Careca – excellent performance, won everything
    Kweeveen – same as Tonc, they never got behind either full back and played some very intelligent balls
    Aodeo – did very well in a new team. Battled well and kept it simple
    Semibluff – passed well, tracked well, battled well. Aodeo and himself did brilliantly against 3 centre mids.
    DITpoker – Was our utility player, played LW, CM and CB and put in an excellent display everyone with two goals.
    Jackyback – had made the right side of midfield his own. He was always a threat and rarely gave the ball away.
    Chopper – battled well and worked hard. At times my decision making and second touches were awful and I missed a sitter to boot.
    Hectorjelly – His best performance so far for the boards team. Scored 2 good goals, worked hard, very intelligent runner.
    Requiem4adream – Gave colly a headache in the second third and pinned him back. Played some nice passes and set Daragh up for a goal.
    Trippie – Full of running and was very unlucky not to score. He’s getting better with every game and is getting more troublesome for defenders.

I feel we went out a little cocky from the last game (that's poker egos for you) and immediately we found ourselves under pressure.
    Kayroo – dominant at the back, scored a great goal but was a little careless in possession once or twice after we went a couple of goals up

These two facts are very much linked. Certainly learned a good lesson from yesterdays game and it won't happen again. I put us under pressure when it was needless and there's no excuse for it. Sorry gaffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

Was speaking to our manager, and he has asked me to ask the poker forum about a friendly on any sunday in the next few weeks. We play our games on a Saturday, but have a squad of 20, of which only 14 can be selected, so for a sunday game we'd have a mix of players who played the day before and rested players.

Grass pitch is more possible than usual, though St Raphaela's or Leicester Celtic astro may be the way to go.

So, if Poker want another shot at Grosvenor Lane, pick a sunday, any sunday!

Yes, do this, I enjoy winning and dislike losing very, very much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Around 20 minutes in we were awarded a free kick which Jeff took and scored with. To say it was a lucky goal would be an understatement. In a race between Jeff's shot and a snail, it would have being close.

Someone got a touch/deflection on that - I think in the wall - no one is going to claim the glory?:eek:

Same margin of victory, but different game. We couldn't even get a goal off the late looping deflection in the dark...

• Advertisement

ditpoker wrote: »
    Was speaking to our manager, and he has asked me to ask the poker forum about a friendly on any sunday in the next few weeks. We play our games on a Saturday, but have a squad of 20, of which only 14 can be selected, so for a sunday game we'd have a mix of players who played the day before and rested players.

Grass pitch is more possible than usual, though St Raphaela's or Leicester Celtic astro may be the way to go.

I will 100% play in this game. I want a shot at you guys again for sure.

How about March 22nd?? Grass pitch preferable or Leicester Celtic. St. Raphaela's sucks.

On yesterdays performance do you think we'd be a better match for you guys?

Yes I am interested and would organise again.
    dfx- wrote: »
    Someone got a touch/deflection on that - I think in the wall - no one is going to claim the glory?:eek:

There was no deflection - however I did smash 2 players out of the wall out of the way which is why you may have seen it late.
    These two facts are very much linked. Certainly learned a good lesson from yesterdays game and it won't happen again. I put us under pressure when it was needless and there's no excuse for it. Sorry gaffer.

Hey you played great mate - I just called it like I saw it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Great idea, lets do it

Hey you played great mate - I just called it like I saw it

I appreciate it too, but the point stands. I made a couple of terrible decisions in the 2nd period that put us under some unnecessary pressure. It was a good experience to have learned from though, certainly won't see that happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

On yesterdays performance do you think we'd be a better match for you guys?

Yes I am interested and would organise again.

definately a better team than the team that played us twice. but if poker were to play that game then myself, aodea and tribulus (centre mid for them) would all revert back to our grosvenor lane team, which would have an effect on the poker team. also, on grass with a ref and offsides and slide tackles i think it could be quite one sided. maybe get tribulus' and aodea's opinion on this too. i definately think it would be tighter, now that there is more familiarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

definately a better team than the team that played us twice. but if poker were to play that game then myself, aodea and tribulus (centre mid for them) would all revert back to our grosvenor lane team, which would have an effect on the poker team. also, on grass with a ref and offsides and slide tackles i think it could be quite one sided. maybe get tribulus' and aodea's opinion on this too. i definately think it would be tighter, now that there is more familiarity.

the only reason that the scores where even cloes the first two games was because you's were playing the 4-6-0 formation.

It was definitely a better performance than the first time I played the poker team. Far more organised and much better movement off the ball.

On an allweather/artificial surface it would probably be a closer game but it's easy to underestimate the effect of playing on grass.

Lot's of people will be caught out from playing on a non-carpet surface, passing would need to be more assured and crisp. I'd imagine some peoples first touch will be worst also and it would also be a much more physical game with slide tackles being possible in addition to it being harder to keep possession in general for the above reasons. So in that case I would fancy Grosvenor a lot more.

Only one way to find out though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

There was no deflection - however I did smash 2 players out of the wall out of the way which is why you may have seen it late.

Yes, there was.:p

I saw the ball the whole way, but it hit someone and not our wall..maybe it was Darragh right in front of me, but I don't think so. It deflected into the ground and over me. Still should've stopped it though....

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Yeah a game would be good. Again its hard to assess how close you would be to the lane from a point of view of playing on a proper pitch etc etc. With tribulis and ditpoker playing for lane may make things a bit harder. I heard the other games were pretty one sided but you had a few moments. Maybe if you could train once or twice get a bit of organisation it would be a tighter game.

If you have a few players such as donal its never going to be that much of a stroll and as jeff mentioned our games are sat so would possibly be a mixed bunch of players for us aswell. Either way it would be a step up for the poker forum so that would be a good test.

Im well up for it anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

Id LOVE to get a midfield battle on a grass pitch. I think it would suit alot of players more, and certainly me and steve (imo). Nice rainy day would be perfect, so annoyed dint get to crunch anyone yesterday! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement