Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Forum vs. Soccer Forum, Sun 22nd February

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Frisbee wrote: »
    Finally got through to this lad at about half 8 last night.

Pitch booked 4-6 on Sunday 22nd.

:)

They are my normal drinking hours on a Sunday :( Well I start during that time anyway :)

careca wrote: »
    They are my normal drinking hours on a Sunday :( Well I start during that time anyway :)

2 tequila shots at half time should keep ya ticking over Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Also judging by their attacking ability last time I'd say you probably have time to go for a pint during the game anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

Breifne

Tonc
    Kayroo
    Neil
    Kweveen

Fran
    TBC
    Donal

Jeff
    Ricky
    Darragh

Sub
    Theresa

That should be the starting team.

edit to say: IF I am a sub, I will still come.

Thanks for voulanteering

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

i will put myself forward provisionally depending on if we win tomo, ill be free that unday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jayminator

semibluff wrote: »
    lads be fair, unless Xavi is bringing Eto puyol and the rest of his team mates - i dont think all this talk of positions is needed! ;)

Lads im just re visiting this post now. TBH I think there are way too many people taking this way too seriously. I agree with Donal here. ITS A FRIENDLY.

I would like to be involved in this for the crack. Believe me I can kick a ball in a straight line. I can also sometimes unintentionally bend it but this ''friendly'' is getting a bit serious for me.

I thought the idea was a game of ball, a chance to get together for a laugh and finish with a few pints. I laffed when Ricky posted his ''tactics'' the night before the last match.

If people bother to get out of bed and give up their time to play what is basically a non competitive non important game of football then all players should get a run. There are no medals for the winners here........

I appreciate peoples competitive natures here but seriously save it for the club football some of us no doubt play and let this run off as the friendly its supposed to be....

There is no balancing act, if you (plural, not you ricky) want to be guaranteed game time, organise your own team. No waltzing in here expecting game time or you wont participate, if you come down and dont get a game, or are not happy with your gametime then at least you have a proper case for the next match.

Also, yeah football is a squad game over a season. Over a single match, not nearly as much, 15 players will get us through this match easy, and even then some of them might not get game time if its done (imo) properly.

This is bollox ffs. I play over 35s now with roll on roll off subs using 16 players quite effectively. If you get 16 players for this game then everybody could easily and comfortably be involved for a minimum of 20/25 minutes.

Im going to be available for this, I dont expect to start but I would expect a decent run in what is in effect a friendly. If not then why would I bother travelling across town on a Sunday. If this was a league match then I agree with you and I would not expect to be considered at all. But its not.

Jayminator wrote: »
    This is bollox ffs. I play over 35s now with roll on roll off subs using 16 players quite effectively. If you get 16 players for this game then everybody could easily and comfortably be involved for a minimum of 20/25 minutes.

Im going to be available for this, I dont expect to start but I would expect a decent run in what is in effect a friendly. If not then why would I bother travelling across town on a Sunday. If this was a league match then I agree with you and I would not expect to be considered at all. But its not.

To be fair to Steve he is super competitive (as am I) and I find it genuinely difficult to not want to win and to win well.

Everyone got 30 mins minimum last time and I would expect things to be the same this time. That said if things are tight I wouldn't expect the changes to be as wholesale as they have been. I would expect the strongest team to stay out there predominantly with the others rotating in 1 or 2 at a time to give everyone a run.

To be fair though Jay, as much as this is a bit of fun there was a group of players who got their asses handed to them by Grosvenor more than once (I was there for one game) and I think Steve reflects the view of a few of the lads who know that winning is always more fun than losing. Makes standing on the line for however long much easier if you are on the winning team.

Everyone will get a run for sure. Heck even DBC has been onto me offering to play in this one. Just want to make sure everyone is on the same page re: wanting to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

I play over 35s now.

Isnt there an upper age limit on these leagues?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

If you bothered your geriatric ass to read on:pac:, I said I was a bit gung ho about it and agreed with Carecas post completely. After having an extended convo with R4aD about it too, I do see the merits of everyone getting a run out, but within reason and gameflow dependent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Unrest in the camp is there? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Jay your attitude is ridiculous. Of course ricky posted tactics, we got beaten twice heavily by a well organised Grosevnor Lane. I don't know about you, but I rarely enjoy losing. We needed to change the way we played, and everyone playing wanted to win. This isn't a "friendly" match for players who regularly play club football and are happy to take it easy. Most of us never play 11 a side and this is an opportunity to do it. If your not willing to try your hardest or listen to "tactics" then maybe its not for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

by a well organised Grosevnor Lane.

ah that makes me smile well organised the lane could not organise a drinking session in a brewery. But lads really everyone wants to win when you play a game of football or any sport for that matter but i do think people should be getting a run out if anything it helps everyone get better at playing in an 11 a side game which is differnt to 5 a side which a lot of people seem to play. If this becomes a regular thing then people getting a game can only help in the long run.

Also, just one thing I think should be noted.

I wouldnt view this as a league match at all. I also wouldnt view it as a friendly. I would view it as a grudge match, derby type game.

If we all view it as such then the talk of subs and whatnot is kinda put more into perspective. I dont want my ass handed to me, no one enjoys that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Yeah exactly

Jay your attitude is ridiculous. Of course ricky posted tactics, we got beaten twice heavily by a well organised Grosevnor Lane. I don't know about you, but I rarely enjoy losing. We needed to change the way we played, and everyone playing wanted to win. This isn't a "friendly" match for players who regularly play club football and are happy to take it easy. Most of us never play 11 a side and this is an opportunity to do it. If your not willing to try your hardest or listen to "tactics" then maybe its not for you.

Much as I agree with you Darragh I think Jay has a point, albeit ill made.

Yeah there is an element of a bit of craic to this but we want to win. This is a rematch. To put not too fine a point on it we embarassed these guys last time and they want revenge. They have Tribulus, who is a very good player, and Xavi6, who by all accounts, is also pretty handy. They are coming to win.

We have to have the same mentality we had last time. I do a proper warm up with the lads before the match starts, we keep our shape and don't play for glory balls, just simple pass and keep it tight. We take a serious approach to it and for the lads who aren't used to 11-a-side in particular like HJ and Trippie it makes for great fun as they get a new insight into the game.

Every single player got a minimum of 30 mins last time when we won. Every single player got at least 30 mins in the games v Grosvenor when we lost. What Theresa and myself and others have been saying is that, while we will continue to do this, we might not go about it the way we did the last couple of times as we are losing our shape and continuity.

This time we won't make 4-5 changes at once for a whole half. We should be making 1-2 changes regularly to keep it fresh and keep our continuity and thus keep our team as strong as we can at all times. It's bad enough asking a lad to come into a team that's got 30 mins under it's belt and get up to speed but to ask him to do it while the team gets used to the 4 other new players and their tendencies is just too much.

We are just learning from previous mistakes we have made in these games. Everyone still gets a run, we just go about it different. That said, anyone who is coming down here without a proper desire to win will find out pretty fast he is in the minority. The 11 that started last time are all super competitive and so were the lads on the line.

That group spirit and attitude served us really well and I'd like to think we can put all this behind us now and get ourselves ready to hammer the Soccer Forum for the 2nd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

Guys lets leave the fighting alone now. I appreciate your comments and now it's my charge to pick the team and decide how we should play this.

At this point I will guarantee nothing apart from regulars will get first preference. If you're a new player and can cope with that I'd love to have you on board and I will try accommodate you. I don't want any more PM's and IM from people telling me how good they are and that if it wasn't for them blah blah blah.......

I've played on teams that have being destroyed and I've played on a winning team and I know what I prefer.

On a personal note - 11 aside football is much different to 5 aside. It's more competitive even in this environment. I don't want people turning up thinking it's just going to be a laugh, nor do I want the other side where we win at all cost.

In the great words of willie (Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels) "Chill Winston"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

If we could get a couple more forums to muster up a team we could have a little mini league run over a few months,with no pressure etc for games to be played just pick an end date.

Dub13 wrote: »
    If we could get a couple more forums to muster up a team we could have a little mini league run over a few months,with no pressure etc for games to be played just pick an end date.

Id love for this to happen. We've feasibly got 3 teams already.

Poker
    Soccer
    Boardeuax.

Obv, player crossover shouldnt be allowed.

Id say the Gaa forum could get a team, possibly others. Actually, Im gonna start spamming the **** out of a few forums now and see if I can get some volunteers to muster up a team.

Boardeuax are a 'proper' team and some may have objection's to them playing.

• Advertisement

Boardeuax are a 'proper' team and some may have objection's to them playing.

Really? I def wouldnt object. I cant see anyone from the poker forum objecting either tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

Id say the Gaa forum could get a team, possibly others. Actually, Im gonna start spamming the **** out of a few forums now and see if I can get some volunteers to muster up a team.

Please convince Afterhours to put forward a team, and then proceed to kick the everloving **** out of them.

Tight Ted wrote: »
    Please convince Afterhours to put forward a team, and then proceed to kick the everloving **** out of them.

LOL....an after hours team would have to play there games on a non school night.

LOL....an after hours team would have to play there games on a non school night.

QFT. Would be fun to kick them to high heaven. I call dibs on Pighead for the first assassination attempt (i.e tackle)

Yes, but thankfully no upper weight.

This is all starting to sound a bit gay btw, why are you taking it so seriously? It makes no difference whatsoever if you win or lose, i'd always rather win, but Im not going to be annoyed on the way home if I don't.

If that's all your concerned with then you should be training twice a week, and runnin the bollox off everyone and make sure your "match fit".
    On the other hand, if you want to have a game of football whilst enjoying yourself and meeting guys from the forum, have the craic etc, and not bítching all day, then its important the point isn't missed before you start.

Much as I agree with you Darragh I think Jay has a point, albeit ill made.

Yeah there is an element of a bit of craic to this but we want to win.
    This time we won't make 4-5 changes at once for a whole half. We should be making 1-2 changes regularly to keep it fresh and keep our continuity and thus keep our team as strong as we can at all times. It's bad enough asking a lad to come into a team that's got 30 mins under it's belt and get up to speed but to ask him to do it while the team gets used to the 4 other new players and their tendencies is just too much..

This is more the point I was trying to make. 16 players can easily roll on and off 1 or 2 at a time without impacting negatively too much on the overall game

Harsh

If you bothered your geriatric ass to read on:pac:, I said I was a bit gung ho about it and agreed with Carecas post completely. After having an extended convo with R4aD about it too, I do see the merits of everyone getting a run out, but within reason and gameflow dependent.

I did read on but the oul spy glass steamed up from the hot water bottle.

My point is quite simple. You are asking players to travel for a non compettitive friendly game, you are asking them to give up thier own time on a Sunday to play a match that happens once every 6 / 8 weeks or so and then advocating that they prolly dont play. Even at club level practically all of the squad is involved at some point in pre season friendlies. If people are not going to be involved then they wont bother turning up. Human nature...

Its good to see that you do now see the merits of playing everyone. I also agree that 1 or 2 changes at a time would be the best way to go but the over riding factor should be that everyone gets a run out in an attempt to win the game.

What will happen is that as these games progress over time and you start off with 16 players if 4 or 5 are regularly not involved they just wont bother and you ll then find yourselves screaming out for players to give you a dig out.

Dam my wheelchair tyre needs air....... Wheres my crutches

• Advertisement

Daragh,
    My attitude is not really ridiculous.. I am just stating 2 things.
    1) Its a friendly non competitive game. And by non competitive I mean nothing for the winners after 90 minutes.
    2) Everyone should be involved at some stage.

I laughed for 2 reasons on Ricky posting tactics. I did not however laugh at the thought that went into the tactics and the reasoning behind them.

1) It gave away your game plan to the opposition. If you are gonna talk tactics in trying to win a game then do it before the match privately.

2) Its not the FA cup final where players can sleep on the tactics over night in preparation for the game. If you want to increase your chances of not getting beaten again then DONT POST TACTICS.

Anyhow I also hate losing. Im very compettitive but I ve also both played and managed teams and I see it from both sides of the camp i.e players being disappointed at not playing and also trying to manage players that have been dropped from teams.

I would be very willing to try my very best and my hardest if I were to be involved in this game. I am also very open to discussing tactics but not in the way mentioned and for the reasons above.

I missed out on previous games because of a hospital stay and subsequent recovery but I would have loved to play had I been available. As I ve said I am available to play next week and looking forward to it. I dont expect to start but I do expect to be involved at some point even for 25/30 minutes. That is all..

I cant really see a ridiculous attitude in the above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement