Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer v Poker - The Rematch (Sun Feb 22nd, Leicester Celtic, Kick Off: 4pm)

• 20-01-2009 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭

Right, the Rematch is taking place on Sunday February 22nd.

This match is a bit different as I'm not going to organise it so that people are getting decent amount's of gametime. That's one of the things that killed us on Sunday, rotating the team too much so people could get time on the pitch.
    I've PM'd those that played on Sunday that will make our strongest team and I've taken in two others who I know to be good.

So far I have confirmed:

janets - CM
    colly10 - RB
    dfx- - GK
    Galvasean - RB/CB
    BastardP - CB
    Kiith - ST
    Voltwad - LB/LM
    Santry Red - GK
    Xavi6 - CM/CB
    Dub13 - CB

I'm waiting to hear back from:

KaG - CM
    mayordenis - FW
    Iago - FW

before I open it up to anyone else.

tribulus and Vokes are first on the standby list, could you give me a position Vokes?

Myself and SuprSi are both 50:50

Simon said he's let me know by next week.
    I won't know till the Monday beforehand as my team has currently progressed to the latter stages in three cups and cup games are usually played on a sunday.

I'll organise the team anyway but can't guarantee I'll be there.

Our strongest team from what I saw would be:

dfx
    colly10
    BastardP
    Dub13
    Voltwad
    SuprSi
    janets
    KaG
    ?
    Iago
    Frisbee

and this is the team we'll be rolling with. I can't guarantee anyone 60 minutes in this game lads.

Venue as of yet is undecided but has anyone got anything against using the same pitch?

Aswell lads could everyone join this Social Group. Cheers :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

We won't even need to turn up to beat this team :)

tribulus come home where you belong - they don't even want you

We won't even need to turn up to beat this team :)

tribulus come home where you belong - they don't even want you

Yeah Tribulus, surely you are a poker forum man at heart?

As for the rematch: Looking forward to it lads. Mostly so I can get Frisbee's stinking jersey out of the boot of my car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

As for the rematch: Looking forward to it lads. Mostly so I can get Frisbee's stinking jersey out of the boot of my car.

Think it's just a pair of astro's and a pair of boots in there afaik...

Once again man cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,103 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yup im a definate for this anyway, if theres any position available. Would be Striker, or SS ideally.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Think it's just a pair of astro's and a pair of boots in there afaik...

Once again man cheers :)

Eh...yeah...there was no jersey in there...

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yup im a definate for this anyway, if theres any position available. Would be Striker, or SS ideally.

You're from Cork mate right? I'm sure Frisbee will say it but be aware of his point about no guarantee of 60 mins.

Eh...yeah...there was no jersey in there...

Haha, I can't remember leaving a jersey in there. Maybe I did.
    You're from Cork mate right? I'm sure Frisbee will say it but be aware of his point about no guarantee of 60 mins.

Was just about to say this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Lol, while I'm not a prolific poster on Soccer I haven't posted in a non-football thread in Poker in over a year! Besides I'm a sucker for being an underdog. :pac:

I can confirm by tomorrow whether I'm available.

Edit: Frisbee can you accept my join request, I can't see anything in the social group thing.

tribulus wrote: »
    Lol, while I'm not a prolific poster on Soccer I haven't posted in a non-football thread in Poker in over a year! Besides I'm a sucker for being an underdog. :pac:

I can confirm by tomorrow whether I'm available.

Cool, LM yeah?

Cool, LM yeah?

Much better suited to CM but LM would be my other position.

• Advertisement

tribulus wrote: »
    Much better suited to CM but LM would be my other position.

We have a bit of an overload of CM atm, I'll stick you down as LM

janets - CM
    colly10 - RB
    dfx- - GK
    Galvasean - RB/CB
    BastardP - CB
    Kiith - ST
    Voltwad - LB/LM
    Santry Red - GK
    Xavi6 - CM/CB
    Dub13 - CB
    tribulus - LM

Frisbee - AM
    SuprSi - RM
    Kag - CM
    mayordenis - ST
    Iago - ST

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

could you give me a position Vokes?
    Galvasean - RB/CB
    BastardP - CB
    Xavi6 - CM/CB
    Dub13 - CB

Hey, I'm a centreback and given the 4 gents above, you are well-stocked in this area. So i'm quite happy to be on a standby list just for that position as you'll need other squad places for positions you are short in. Sound reasonable?

RM and upfront looks to be need strengthening first.

i dont mind coming up for this as can make a weekend of it, assuming people actually do go our for a sesh afterwards. Couldn't make yesterdays as would have had to turn right back around and go home after, with work on both saturday and today (though as it happened i got groinstrain last monday playing, so wouldn't have been able to anyway - should be grand and fit by next game anyway). Back to weekends off now, so that saturday game would be perfect.

i dont mind coming up for this as can make a weekend of it, assuming people actually do go our for a sesh afterwards. Couldn't make yesterdays as would have had to turn right back around and go home after, with work on both saturday and today (though as it happened i got groinstrain last monday playing, so wouldn't have been able to anyway - should be grand and fit by next game anyway). Back to weekends off now, so that saturday game would be perfect.

It's on a Sunday....

Vokes wrote: »
    Hey, I'm a centreback and given the 4 gents above, you are well-stocked in this area. So i'm quite happy to be on a standby list just for that position as you'll need other squad places for positions you are short in. Sound reasonable?

That's perfect man :)
    Right, the Rematch is taking place on Sunday February 22nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Maybe organise a poker and soccer forum beers for the 21st? That way Rebel can get a sesh in beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

why not just play the game on the 21st? 2 O'clock kick off and all back to the pub for the 5.30 game of United v Blackburn followed by copious amounts of alcohol and banter.

Sunday night might be alright for you poker degenerates but with the 9-5 grind facing me on a Monday I just can't do it anymore!

bohsman wrote: »
    Maybe organise a poker and soccer forum beers for the 21st? That way Rebel can get a sesh in beforehand.
    Iago wrote: »
    why not just play the game on the 21st? 2 O'clock kick off and all back to the pub for the 5.30 game of United v Blackburn followed by copious amounts of alcohol and banter.

Sunday night might be alright for you poker degenerates but with the 9-5 grind facing me on a Monday I just can't do it anymore!

Aye there's a soccer beers currently scheduled for the night of the 21st!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

what score was the first game, was gonna give it a go but atm i cant run for 5 minutes without needing to sit for 10

• Advertisement

Iago wrote: »

I know there are a good few lads who work or actually play a match for their clubs on a Saturday. It would be harder to sort out a team for a Saturday from our side anyway.

EDIT: Beers Saturday and the match Sunday at 3-4 ish would work pretty well imo.

bigstar wrote: »
    what score was the first game, was gonna give it a go but atm i cant run for 5 minutes without needing to sit for 10

It was 10-2 to the Poker Forum.

I know there are a good few lads who work or actually play a match for their clubs on a Saturday. It would be harder to sort out a team for a Saturday from our side anyway.

EDIT: Beers Saturday and the match Sunday at 3-4 ish would work pretty well imo.

Yeah I fall in this bracket myself. Match that day is away to Clontarf aswell and their usually 4/5 o'clock games.

I reckon match at 4 on Sunday after a joint beers would work :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Im out of this. Only realised when I saw the United Blackburn game mentioned because I'm going to that game. Got my dates mixed up. Apologies

Im out of this. Only realised when I saw the United Blackburn game mentioned because I'm going to that game. Got my dates mixed up. Apologies

No worries man, thanks for letting me know nice and early. You'll be missed.

janets - CM
    colly10 - RB
    dfx- - GK
    Galvasean - RB/CB
    BastardP - CB
    Kiith - ST
    Voltwad - LB/LM
    Santry Red - GK
    Xavi6 - CM/CB
    Dub13 - CB
    tribulus - LM

Frisbee - AM
    SuprSi - RM
    Kag - CM
    mayordenis - ST
    Iago - ST

janets - CM

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'm definately in, have a reputation to repair for **** sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

mayordenis wrote: »
    I'm definately in, have a reputation to repair for **** sake.

Which guy were you?

Trippie wrote: »
    Which guy were you?

The **** one.

The **** one.

No offence but that doesnt really narrow it down much

• Advertisement

No offence but that doesnt really narrow it down much

Short guy, started up top, did nothing of note.

Short guy, started up top, did nothing of note.

Arrived early enough and pinged the ball around with us for a bit when we were waiting on everyone esle? Orange Ball?

I didnt think you were bad, you suffered from a lack of service and support so it was always going to be difficult to do anything of note. The attacking play from your team played into our centre backs hands as they were never really troubled with balls in behind them which might of tested them more than long'high balls. So i wouldnt worry about it.

On another note some of you's have been a bit harsh on the keeper. Sure he could have saved possibly 2 of the goals at the end but he had did have a fairly leaky defence in front of him bar your right back who was the only reason you's didnt ship another 3 or 4 goals as without him we would of had a lot more one on one chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

On another note some of you's have been a bit harsh on the keeper. Sure he could have saved possibly 2 of the goals at the end but he had did have a fairly leaky defence in front of him bar your right back who was the only reason you's didnt ship another 3 or 4 goals as without him we would of had a lot more one on one chances

I have to agree here, he kept us in it in the first period saving 2 - 3 one-on-one's which was very impressive. If any of those had gone in we'd have been out of the game long before the 3rd period started.

janets - CM
    colly10 - RB
    dfx- - GK
    Galvasean - RB/CB
    BastardP - CB
    Kiith - ST
    Voltwad - LB/LM
    Santry Red - GK
    Xavi6 - CM/CB
    Dub13 - CB
    tribulus - LM
    Kag - CM
    mayordenis - will play where needs must, aka Gary Doherty

Frisbee - AM
    SuprSi - RM
    Iago - ST

Depending on the striker situation it's probably a good idea that I don't play up top - put me down as ST/CM/RM/LM/AM/DM/RB/LB/Fat reducing grilling machine.

Depending on the striker situation it's probably a good idea that I don't play up top - put me down as ST/CM/RM/LM/AM/DM/RB/LB/Fat reducing grilling machince.

Duly noted and changed :D

• Advertisement

Depending on the striker situation it's probably a good idea that I don't play up top - put me down as ST/CM/RM/LM/AM/DM/RB/LB/Fat reducing grilling machine.

First post I read today that genuinely made me lol. Trippie's came close about ye all playing sub-par.

I'm in for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Stick me down for sub or whatever if there's any space left. LW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Im out of this for the poker lads. Going to Old Trafford. Wish ye all good luck and hopefully its a much closer affair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

a few guys from both teams need to watch this btw...

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if all the socialites in here would be able to commit to it but we should grab a 5v5 pitch for an hour on saturday evening - early enough so people can still go out maybe - so we have say a squad of 15 ish and we just rolling subs in and out - nothing intense just a bit more getting to know the others etc.

I'm expecting everyone to say no to this but think it would help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm not sure if all the socialites in here would be able to commit to it but we should grab a 5v5 pitch for an hour on saturday evening - early enough so people can still go out maybe - so we have say a squad of 15 ish and we just rolling subs in and out - nothing intense just a bit more getting to know the others etc.

I'm expecting everyone to say no to this but think it would help.

Im working this Saturday but its a very good idea

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm working nights this saturday, so depending on the time, i probably wont be able to make it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Unfortunately I have plans for this Sat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

or SS ideally.

there are no short stops in Football, try the Baseball forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

i can be a sub if i dont have a match on the sunday. season starts bk end of month

I never said anything about this saturday ffs :P

ok the match is sunday the 22nd
    what day is the beers? 21st

a reasonable kick about before the beers on the 21st nothing ott but just abit of tap around get the names goin meaning not turning up on sunday all like WTF?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

i know i meant the 22nd i usually play bout 2ish on sunday i will let you know . waht time suits for the beers and kick bout sat. i know more when i get the next roster from work

I can't do any Saturday as I have matches and training if they're cancelled.

If the beers (and maybe 5v5) for the saturday and the match sunday are still going ahead im still well up for heading to this anyway for the weekend.

As I said at the start, ideally striker or Second Striker (for the smartass who corrected me above ;) ) but if not, any attacking position really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement