Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer v Poker - The Rematch (Sun Feb 22nd, Leicester Celtic, Kick Off: 4pm)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Tell him to come along and be there at half 3. LeixlipRed may be crocked so we could need the extra body

Cheers, he will be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

Frisbee, go to a bar nearby as late as you can before your match, ask him can you leave the bag with him to be collected within the hour, once your any way friendly with him this wont be a problem.

Seems the most sensible option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

FFS if this is going to be such a hassle then I'll go pick them up at lunch time then drive back fro Des and tribulus. Just PM me a place and time meet and I'll be there. No earlier than half 1 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

FFS if this is going to be such a hassle then I'll go pick them up at lunch time then drive back fro Des and tribulus. Just PM me a place and time meet and I'll be there. No earlier than half 1 though.

PM Sent

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If Xavi6 cant make it out, i'll come out that direction a few hours earlier, and get the kits. I would rather not have to sit around there for 2-3 hours though.

I assume PCPhoto is just taking the mick here:
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    just to let everyone know - I should have a reporter and photographer there covering the game (for the Star) - worst case I will photo it from the bench....see you all Sunday !!!

Very nice try though:rolleyes:

PLEASE READ!!!

Ok this is the squad for tomorrow going on those who haven't dropped out yet -

dfx - GK
    colly10 - RB
    BastardPrince - CB
    Xavi6 - MC
    mayordenis - AMC/ST
    SantryRed - GK/Outfield if needed
    tribulus - LW/MC
    PCPhoto - DC/ST
    Dub13 - DC
    LeixlipRed - DMC/RB
    Kiith - ST
    Geoff - LB/CB
    hectorjelly's mate - ST
    shoutman - MC/LB

14 (including 2 keepers)

That should be ok as we might get a player from the Poker lads if they have too many.

I will be picking up the kit from Frisbee tomorrow but bring your own shorts and socks (as well as shinguards and the rest). The pitch is apparently €180 so €95 per team. I will also be picking up a match ball on the way so if that costs €45 then it works out at €10 per person.

Can everyone make sure that they arrive at the pitch no later than 3.30pm so we can discuss tactics and get a warm up in. Kick off is at 4pm bang on so we want to be ready.

Really looking forward to this now, as I'm sure everyone else is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I assume PCPhoto is just taking the mick here:

Very nice try though:rolleyes:

Kayroo - I work as a press/sports photographer ..... have arranged a photographer (which I'm paying for) just to cover the game.

Still in the process of organising a reporter.

Kayroo - I work as a press/sports photographer ..... have arranged a photographer (which I'm paying for) just to cover the game.

Whoever it is better be prepared for me to critically analyse their work :pac:

• Advertisement

Whoever it is better be prepared for me to critically analyse their work :pac:

It's for the Star, exactly what sort of standard are you expecting? (No offence intended PCPhoto, just saying, it's not the New Yorker is all, sports section is good though.)

Why exactly does this match warrant appearing in the Star? What angle are you taking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

I presume its going for the community type feel to it, playing for fun and all that, you know the premise of what we started playing jeff's team for when it was clear we were not going to win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I'm out of this guys. Injury hasn't cleared yet. Had a friendly today which I had to pull out of so can't take a chance tomorrow as have a huge game Tuesday. Sorry guys. Hope you win :)

Revised list. So we hjave 13 (14 if SantryRed plays outfield) now. I think we will definitly need to borrow a player or two from the poker team, assuming they have the players available.

dfx - GK
    colly10 - RB
    BastardPrince - CB
    Xavi6 - MC
    mayordenis - AMC/ST
    SantryRed - GK/Outfield if needed
    tribulus - LW/MC
    PCPhoto - DC/ST
    Dub13 - DC
    Kiith - ST
    Geoff - LB/CB
    hectorjelly's mate - ST
    shoutman - MC/LB

Kiith wrote: »
    Revised list. So we hjave 13 (14 if SantryRed plays outfield) now. I think we will definitly need to borrow a player or two from the poker team, assuming they have the players available.

We're looking a bit short too. We were considering nicking Shoutman back to his natural home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I feel so cheap....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

Guys I assume we're going to do 3 * 30/35 minute thirds again?

shoutman wrote: »
    I feel so cheap....

Sought after baby...sought after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

I'll be there and will play for whoever shows the most love. Poker coach has questionable motivational skills!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lads, if ye need an extra body I can play. No problem with just being used to roll on for a couple of minutes here and there to give someone a breather. I'm pretty rubbish, but will try hard. Let us know!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Lads, if ye need an extra body I can play. No problem with just being used to roll on for a couple of minutes here and there to give someone a breather. I'm pretty rubbish, but will try hard. Let us know!

Yes,I think we could do with a extra player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

My friend had to pull out due to injury, but I saw that you were short so arranged a replacement - Karl. He is a very skillful midfielder. He could play upfront but I would put him on the wing.

My friend had to pull out due to injury, but I saw that you were short so arranged a replacement - Karl. He is a very skillful midfielder. He could play upfront but I would put him on the wing.
    Cool, thanks for arranging a replacement. Is he a right or left winger btw? Could stick him on right wing, and i'll go in the center if he is.
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Ya, definitly come along. We could use the extra players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Alright, see ya tomorrow.

Hope we're all good to go for today. Can't wait!

Hope we're all good to go for today. Can't wait!

Yea looking forward to it,shame we have to miss the match on the box but what can you do.

Yeah bit of a bummer alright but it'd only put me in a bad mood anyway.

Just need to sort the jerseys now and we're good to go.

How are we fixed for the jerseys anyway...?

I would not have been able to collect them now anyway as I have to meet a lad to give him some posters/tickets for a night I am putting on.

Laura hasn't been online it seems and I've just her a text but no reply yet. I'll go collect them no bother once I hear from herself.

Jerseys are sorted - meetin Frisbee in an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Good game today lads. Result was unfortunate but from what I've heard from guys who were there previously it was a better performance.

Thanks to Des for referring and Xavi6 and Dub13 for the lifts! Good to meet everyone, I just hope my mug isn't appearing in the Star!

• Advertisement

Any score?

8-0 (or was it 8-1). It looks bad alright, but the score is pretty flattering on the poker lads. We were all over them for the first 15 minutes, then we conceeded 3 terrible goals against the run of play. 3-0 down into the 2nd half (third?), and we were playing some decent football, but still conceeded another. Then we let in 4 in the last 10 minutes or so, when the fitness/concentration levels started to show.

Colly was once again man of the match in my opinion. He was all over the place (in a good way). Was a better overall performance i would say, and our fitness levels were better then last time. Good game overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

soccer forum lol :pac:

KevIRL wrote: »
    soccer forum lol :pac:
    If i wasnt so bloody tired i'd have a witty retort for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

i left at 4-0, but 8 was totally flattering. Ye were a much better side today and as stated had all the possession for the first 15. Ye were very solid at the back and good in midfield but oscar was on his own up front for much of the match. Think it was Frisbee who came on late, turned things around, was very unlucky not to score and could have made a difference if starting.

Much better performance and a very good game for long periods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Any score?

Lost count, the scorline was bad (similar to last day) as we totally fell apart at the end. I thought the performance was alot better though. We gave away a cheap goal or 2 in the first 3rd.
    In the 2nd I actually felt we are the better side but didn't make it count, think we lacked a poacher, we could have done with Iago today.
    The bit of extra familiarity helped, thought that the CB partnership of Dub13 and Bastard Prince worked alot better today (although we were busy enough in defence)
    Xavi was a great addition, confident and comfortable on the ball, good passer, did alot of talking through the game which helps. We had another tricky lad there with him, his name escapes me but I don't remember him from the last day.

Enjoyed the game anyway (except the tooth going through the face, poxy things still bleeding :D). Hopefully we can get another one going in a month or 2, they havn't been all that close but I still don't feel theres that much in them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

UL lads i think the scoreline at 8-0 was flattering for us although overall we were the better team. I think you guys made it much more competitive this time round and it showed in the first 20 minutes or so.

I thought your RB and Frisbee played very well and also no 7 (Xavi?) did some shouting man he loves his football.

As Brucey says good game good game...

I thought your RB and Frisbee played very well and also no 7 (Xavi?) did some shouting man he loves his football.

I couldn't finish my fcuking dinner.
    I was shocking, should have had at least two goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Frisbee wrote: »

had a tight calf muscle for the last 15 when every ball was swung in behind me and tried my best to keep you out. was glad you were off form :pac:

• Advertisement

tonc76 wrote: »
    had a tight calf muscle for the last 15 when every ball was swung in behind me and tried my best to keep you out. was glad you were off form :pac:

Finishing used to be the best part of my game when I played.

Oh how times have changed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

tonc76 wrote: »

I know how you feel, my calf seized up twice and the second time was one of the most painful 10 minutes I have ever had to endure

Yeah I kinda get a bit carried away sometimes :o
    Frisbee wrote: »

I coulda fuckin killed you!

Really enjoyable run out. As said, the result was very flattering. We conceded some howlers early on and then died at the end. The poker lads were all bang on fellas, and I just hope they felt like they were in a game today.

I coulda fuckin killed you!

I could have fcuking killed myself man....

The poker lads were all bang on fellas, and I just hope they felt like they were in a game today.

Cheers man, you guys were all sound out.

For what it's worth I am fúcking exhausted after that game. It was much much tougher than the first one.

You guys were a lot better than last time but lack of a decent forward cost ye dearly. We were missing 2 of our best players today and you guys picked up 2 or 3 really good additions so I think we were much closer today.

Some excellent football from both teams today. Really enjoyed this today guys, thanks for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Requiem4adream

IMHO Colly (RB) was almost wasted a little at full/wing back, some engine, good distribution. Really good, didnt give me much change up the wing (apart from the DEFINITE penno not given, possibly worst offside decision in history! :p). If i was picking that team i'd make him play right/left mid whether he liked it or not lol

• Advertisement

As discussed in the pub -

:pac:

IMHO Colly (RB) was almost wasted a little at full/wing back, some engine, good distribution. Really good, didnt give me much change up the wing (apart from the DEFINITE penno not given, possibly worst offside decision in history! :p). If i was picking that team i'd make him play right/left mid whether he liked it or not lol

Colly has said himself he is much more comfortable at right back,the lad has good vision and it does seem like he is wasted there but he is a gear addition to the back 4.

I no this is going to sound strange coming from a member of a defense who let 8 in,but I think we were only cut open maybe 3/4 times and maybe only one goal came from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

just so everyone knows - wont be sending images to Star ..... lack of Poker team jerseys is the reason (no offence).

will throw a couple up here in the next few days.

Hard luck lads. Sounds like it was much tighter than last time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

colly was quality at right back. you cant be "wasted" anywhere on a football pitch. having a good striker or left mid is as important as having a good keeper or right back or whatever. if rb is his best position, then he should play rb, imo. its a bit different to play someone out of their natural position if you have a ready made replacement for the position being vacated.

enjoyed the game, played in a great spirit.

again, while my original boards link in with poker, i probably post on soccer more. and with that in mind, and the absence of a "natural striker" for the soccer forum, i'd happily pull on a sky blue jersey next time out. don't think i'll make 8 goals difference, but might be something to consider???

• Advertisement
Advertisement