Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

grind schools in cork

• 20-01-2009 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

hi just wondering yere opinions on mel college (clc) hewitt college and bruce college :pac:biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Went to C.L.C/Mel College myself and i can't fault it. Got a really excellent education there. All the teachers and staff are lovely, nice atmosphere, still maintains small classes unlike some other grind schools in town. In fact, in sixth year there were only three people in my honours French class haha.

It's continuous assessment, which i found really good, you get marked for pretty much everything you hand up and have weekly tests. Lots of scheduled study classes too which are handy and get you into the habit of working.

My sister is in fifth year there atm and really likes it. Really can't say a bad word about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

Went to Bruce for grinds in honours Maths. Teacher there is wonderful.

Also their accounting teacher is unbelievable. He thought in our school.

Know a guy in college who did accounting there for just a year and got an a2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

corkhero wrote: »
    Went to Bruce for grinds in honours Maths. Teacher there is wonderful.

Also their accounting teacher is unbelievable. He thought in our school.

Know a guy in college who did accounting there for just a year and got an a2.

Ya, if you need Accounting grinds, go to Bruce.The guy is class.Went from failing the pres to getting a C1 in the LC cos of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

don't know the inner workings but they can be expensive, if its revision seminarrs you are looking for, check out the teacher associations as they do 1 day revision courses usually in UCC for a knock down, non profit making price. e.g. Maths revision for o and H is on 31st Jan for 30 quid in UCC and I know Geog, Hist, App Maths and others do similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

TheDriver wrote: »
    don't know the inner workings but they can be expensive, if its revision seminarrs you are looking for, check out the teacher associations as they do 1 day revision courses usually in UCC for a knock down, non profit making price. e.g. Maths revision for o and H is on 31st Jan for 30 quid in UCC and I know Geog, Hist, App Maths and others do similar

I found them useless

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ditzygirl

;):p:):rolleyes:hi thanks for all yere info i'm just abit worried they'll be feck all people in the class next year with the recession and all
    and are people dropping out of them because of it thank :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

titan18 wrote: »
    I found them useless

as a teacher, some find them great and some find them useless like the grinds school but for the money its grand

hi about clc and the change of name what actually happened did students leave cause of the change and will it even be open in september

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

From what i heard the principal left with the money.

Then teachers had to work for free for a period as the money to pay them was gone.

not too sure the truth of this but heard it from a lecturer in college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

ditzygirl wrote: »
    hi about clc and the change of name what actually happened did students leave cause of the change and will it even be open in september

The old principal left thats all. No pupils left, no staff left, everything is the same except for the name and that there's a new principal and vice principal. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

I give italian lessons, just to let u know, if you need them ^_^
    (probably I am gonna start a topic about this, if that is ok)

tirabaralla i don't need italian lessons but thanks any way and thanks to everyone else for all yere information very thankful for it:pac::D;):p:):rolleyes::o:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Both Hewitt and Bruce are good schools, but there are people from both of those schools who go to my English grind so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭hillviewfarm

I am looking to find out about the revision courses in Hewitt and Bruce colleges.
    Any one got any recommendations? The course in Bruce is proving to be quite
    expensive. Ideas? Would private grinds be cheaper for pass maths leaving certificate standard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭blindsider

I am looking to find out about the revision courses in Hewitt and Bruce colleges.
    Any one got any recommendations? The course in Bruce is proving to be quite
    expensive. Ideas? Would private grinds be cheaper for pass maths leaving certificate standard?

Disclaimer: I'm not a Maths teacher.

It depends on what you need TBH.

If you're not Maths-orientated and need to get through Ordinary maths at LC, then grinds are certainly an option.

If you're the parent, then I recommend finding a local maths teacher who will agree to take on the student with the aim of achieving X grade in the LC.

They should be able to break the paper down, question by question, and work through each area of the syllabus so that the student can answer each question competently.

Obviously, the student neeeds to put the work in and apply him/her-self.

Maths can be a particular problem for some students and the 1-1 attention is usually enough to get them over the line.

Best of luck!

Advertisement