Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanet, Aptus?

Options
  • 20-01-2009 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone have any info/feedback on wireless internet providers in this area. I know permanet and aptus provide wireless internet in this area, does anyone have any experience/feedback about these? Are there other providers?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Permanet seem to be good. What speed are you interested in?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

If you are in Permanet/Aptus coverage area, then Reach broadband might also cover you.

http://www.reachbroadband.com/

I have no experience with them though.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭zdooldreb

Barnicles
    1MB would be fine. Its for my parents so mainly browsing and e-mail.

Martin.
    Doesnt look like they cover my area just yet. Expensive for installation as well.

zdooldreb wrote: »
    Martin.
    Doesnt look like they cover my area just yet. Expensive for installation as well.

Why is it, that people always complain about installation ?

It's a once off fee, the gear needed to install you costs a heck of a lot more and most likely the fee has to be up there because they use better kit, which gives you less trouble in the end. On the other hands, a lot of the wisps keep the installation fee at a near to profitable level to keep tossers and cheapskates out, that don't pay the bill anyhow.

If you had to install a brand new Eircom line it would be around 150 eur.

I think looking at the monthly price vs. what you get within the package is a lot more important. Taking the installation fee as a decision factor is pure and utter nonsense.

/M

Ok thanks for that uninformative rant.
    If you read my post properly the first point I gave was that they dont cover my area.
    Secondly, of coarse the installation fee is relevant and should be included as part of the decision process.
    Company Monthly Instalation
    Aptus(1MB) 29.99 199.99
    Permanet(1MB) 35.14 145.80
    Reachbroadband(1MB) 30.25 289.50(* If extra equipment is required, poles, areials or cable this will be charged at cost + install engineers time @ €75 per hour or part there of.
    How are you proving that spending more money for installation guarantees you better quality equipment? Or are you assuming that it is "most likely" the fee is larger because the equipment is better?
    How is keeping the installation near to a profitable level going to keep the so called "tossers and cheapskates " out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

zdooldreb...if you were in the business like us you would know exactly, and i do know exactly what Martin is speaking about. Its ok for the big providers to charge a small installation fee which straight away is a loss to the company and be able to take the hit if the subscriber does a runner within their 12 month contract because they already have a large amount of revenue coming in.

Therefore small isps will charge enough on the installation to just break even in order to cope with early defaulters.

None of these are big providers.
    I get your point and I would be in favour of giving the small guy a go.
    But all of these are relatively small providers therefore the installation fee is a definite factor to be considered especially when there is no guarantee that the equipment is any better quality.
    My main point to Martin was that he cant assume the kit it better just because they charge more.
    And you shouldnt dismiss the installation fee as a factor when there is no guarantee the equipment is better.
    Anyway nobody appears to have any expierence with any of these companies which was essentially why I started this thread.
    I would have no problem paying extra for installation if I knew the service was recommended but when you are going into the decision blindly then why waste 90 euro or more? It makes no sence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

None of these are big providers.
    True, no one ever said otherwise
    I get your point and I would be in favour of giving the small guy a go.

But all of these are relatively small providers therefore the installation fee is a definite factor to be considered especially when there is no guarantee that the equipment is any better quality.
    I agree with this too
    My main point to Martin was that he cant assume the kit it better just because they charge more.

And you shouldnt dismiss the installation fee as a factor when there is no guarantee the equipment is better.
    Installation costs can be the determining factor for most people whom dont have a good cash flow
    Anyway nobody appears to have any expierence with any of these companies which was essentially why I started this thread.
    Maybe this is a good sign. Its funny the way people talk. If they have a bad experience with a product they will go on to tell 10 others, but if they buy a good product they probably wont tell anyone. This is most probably why most posts in the broadband section are negative
    I would have no problem paying extra for installation if I knew the service was recommended but when you are going into the decision blindly then why waste 90 euro or more? It makes no sence.
    Possibly far be it for me to say, but we look after Reach Broadbands network from time to time and my own personal experience with it is thats its rock solid.

I agree thats it probably a good sign that nobody has said anything bad (or else they cant connect to the internet to comment :) )
    Good to hear a little bit of positive feedback for Reach.

zdooldreb wrote: »
    How is keeping the installation near to a profitable level going to keep the so called "tossers and cheapskates " out?

It is maybe a bit "harsh" put, but a higher installation fee keeps people with bad cash flow or people that simply turn every nickel away, unless they are utterly desperate and then they wouldn't dare to not pay the bill.

You can not be guaranteed better kit, what you can be guaranteed though is that the ISP has made themselfes a pretty good idea, what he needs to take to make things work financially.

If you see some of the small ISPs with near to no installation fee, there's a bigger risk, that they go out of business before you look yourself around and then you're back in the same situation.

Permanet vs. Reachbroad Broadband, clearly the monthly fee should be the factor, not the installation fee. I can see, that Aptus is cheaper on both. I've had a chat with that lad at some point and I've also tested one of his connections in Carlow since. He uses decent kit, but he's very reluctant to tell about his backhaul etc. In this case it's some kind of Eircom circuit from the traceroute. Anyhow, I just tend to want to know what's behind and what I buy and thus wouldn't make that choice personally.

/Martin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭charlie1966

Marlow wrote: »
    He uses decent kit, but he's very reluctant to tell about his backhaul etc. In this case it's some kind of Eircom circuit from the traceroute. Anyhow, I just tend to want to know what's behind and what I buy and thus wouldn't make that choice personally.

/Martin

Probable reason for not divulging tech spec on his system is competition. Wouldn't you be cautious if a potential customer started asking questions which are not the normal questions to ask. I know I would.

By the way I should say that I know the Aptus manager and have carried out installations for him from time to time, take it for what it's worth, he is conscientious and fair to work for. Would assume he treats his customers the same. I am biased, so as I said take it for what it is worth.

Probable reason for not divulging tech spec on his system is competition. Wouldn't you be cautious if a potential customer started asking questions which are not the normal questions to ask. I know I would.

No, I don't have any problems with telling people how our network is stuck together in general, what backhaul we buy etc, simply, because there are ways to find out about that anyhow. Lots of resources on the internet, if you know where to look. And I am in the same business, just in another end of the country.

If you know the market and the sources available plus have access to one of his connections, you've got pretty much a very good idea on the setup. Things there are no sense in trying to hide. But that's more a question of attitude and my personal opinion. Everybody should make up their own mind.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 8 myshallman

Hi lads I am a customer of Aptus rural and I have to say I am very pleased with their service. I am on their €34.99 package(2mb) I did have some trouble with very low speeds before christmas, but this was sorted very quickly by the installation of some new equipment and I am extremly happy. Their customer service is excellent And the lads that do their installs are great. All in all I would say its a very good service. Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Permanet are pretty good and reliable.No experience of nor have I hard of Aptus.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Got 2mb permanet the other day. Full 2 Mb on downloads and almost half a mb up. Latency of 25-60 and no download limits or traffic shaping. Fully recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Mocrie14

Got 2mb permanet the other day. Full 2 Mb on downloads and almost half a mb up. Latency of 25-60 and no download limits or traffic shaping. Fully recommended.

Can you get wireless from permanet?

Bazbu wrote: »
    Can you get wireless from permanet?

Yep thats what I'm getting. I really think they should advertise a lot more in areas in which they are available. Came across them by chance after almost going down the satelite route.

Permanet coverage

It all depends on line of sight. Although I am just on the edge of signal there are no obstructions between me and the mast.

Yep thats what I'm getting. I really think they should advertise a lot more in areas in which they are available. Came across them by chance after almost going down the satelite route.

Permanet coverage

It all depends on line of sight. Although I am just on the edge of signal there are no obstructions between me and the mast.

I am moving soon to Forth Mountain area in Wexford. I rang Permanet the other day and they told me that they dont do wireless. They would put a receiver on roof and then run a wire into house which I'd have to plug into pc. They said I'd have to get my own 'wireless router' in order to go wireless! Any idea what they're on about?

Bazbu wrote: »
    I am moving soon to Forth Mountain area in Wexford. I rang Permanet the other day and they told me that they dont do wireless. They would put a receiver on roof and then run a wire into house which I'd have to plug into pc. They said I'd have to get my own 'wireless router' in order to go wireless! Any idea what they're on about?

Sorry I misunderstood. You will need to buy a wireless router to connect up any wireless devices. You can get them pretty cheap in any online store like komplett etc.

Something like this.

My local exchange has just been upgraded and my landline is now broadband compatible! :) Hapy Days!

• Advertisement
Advertisement