Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

replacement kit lens

• 20-01-2009 2:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭

Ok.

I have a canon 450D with the standard kit lens 18-55mm. it does what it says on the tin, not a great lens and not a complete pile of balls either (although it's my least used lens :P).

my brother got a 400D for christmas with no kit lens so i said i'll lend him the 18-55mm and "borrow" it back as and if i need it.

now the thing is i'm going travelling in about 5 months time i know it's a long time away but i like to be prepared :D and i'll be bringing my gear with me. here's a list of my gear:

• 50mm f/1.8
    • 70-200mm f/4
    • 100mm macro f/2.8
    so i'll be taking all these with me travelling (going for 3 months never know what i'll need) and i was thinking i'm really missing a landscape-y kind of lens like 18-55mm wide angle. now i've no problems bringing it along with me but just wondering what your opinions are on these options.

1. bring my 18-55mm with me and get my brother to buy a cheap 18-55mm off ebay.
    2. buy myself a lens and sell my 18-55mm at a reasonable price to my brother.
    3. leave my lens with my brother and go travelling (well it's a working holiday so) and buy a lens over in the U.S..
    first off i have no budget cause i'm broke and this thread really isn't a i have X amount of money what lens should i buy. it's more of a what lenses are there are both ends of the price scale i.e. cheap enough like the 18-55mm or expensive like the 24-70mm f/2.8 or the 24-105mm f/4 that seemed to cause ruckus here a week or so ago.

at the moment i'm happy enough with the 18-55mm i suppose, but i think that's mainly because i
    1. never got a real chance to use it in ireland due to work/college constraints.
    2. haven't seen any landscapes in ireland to get a great shot, this kind of ties into number 1 as well as i haven't gone travelling in ireland either.
    this will change when i go travelling in the U.S and when it does i'd like to be prepared for it and not be going, **** i wish i had X lens or Y lens to get that extra of reach or lens X is really hindering myself etc.etc.

looking forward to your input guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

2 options really, keep the 18 - 55mm or sell it to your bro and try scrape/borrow/steal/ some money for another lense such as the sigma 10 - 20.

Id reckon the 18 - 55 will do you just fine but something like the 10 - 20 may be better. They can be had fr 335 excl shipping on ebay.

Where are you travelling to? It might give us a better view on what kind of lense you might need?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

first stop is chicago.

then canada, detroit, boston, new york and san fran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

How about a 17 - 55 L f2.8

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panhour

Wait till you get to Chicago, there is an amazing old camera shop, I think its the Central camera company and they have an aladins cave of new and secondhand gear.... plus, it would give you a chance to see if you're happy with your own lenses.....and if you really need a one.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

Well i think you should sell/give the 18-55 to ur brother and get one all around lens 1st, 70-200 and 100mm are very specific so i would say the 50mm would suit u the most for day to day tasks i don't know what you shoot but its my opinion, if you want to spend a bit more money i would go to 17-40L i know its only F4 but for the price makes it a great option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I would prob sell my 17-40L at a loss to ya if you want, since I've gone to FF my 24-105L easily covers the range that I am happy with.
    PM me if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

right at the moment i'm in no position to buy a lens:

i'm a poor student
    i'm in final year and have 4 subjects and a final year project to do.
    i haven't had time to charge my camera battery let alone get out and use it (this will change once college is over)
    did i mention i was poor.

i will have money closer to my departure and just wanted to get the research out of the way before i set off.

thanks for the offer though AR, if the offer still exists around the time i come to buy i'll consider it :).

so the lenses i should be looking at are

18-55mm L f/2.8
    17-40mm L f/4
    24-105mm L f/4
    24-70mm L f/2.8

i like the idea of the sigma ultra wide angle, but i feel like if i bought that i'd limit myself a bit in terms of zoom, as the zoome range isn't as large with that as it is with the others listed above and i feel like i'd almost need to buy the ultra wide and one of the above to get the best of both worlds :D

/goes to work on his money printer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Aaahh sure if ya that poor ya can have a loan of it for the trip.
    In fact that prob suits all parties...maybe I'll discover some affection for it if its away for the 3-4 months. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

AR ill take it if he doesnt :D

Advertisement