Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heat Circulation Problem

Options
  • 20-01-2009 3:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

We have an old home with hot water radiator central heat (gas furnace). The last couple of days I noticed a few radiators weren't really heating well. There are two supply/feed lines and two return lines that "Y" off above the furnace. The one going to the front of the house is the problem...the hot water doesn't seem to be circulating. In fact, the return line seems to get warmer faster than the supply line.

I thought there could have been an air pocket somewhere. Bleeding radiators didn't seem to help. So, I drained and refilled the system hoping that would shock it back into working. The problem remains.

Although I'm not sure, I would say that all of the radiators in the house (three stories) are connected to the supplies and returns in the basement. The system is running at about 20psi, and like I said was working fine up until recently.

Anyone got an idea as to what's going on here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Circulating Pump ? Feel for vibration, or open screw in centre and see if impeller is spinning.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 johnnytucats

Thanks, Jim. Your suspicion was seconded by an HVAC technician I know and it turns out you were right.

I put a new pump on today and all is well. Now I know what the pipes should feel like when the pump is running!

Advertisement