Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nob Nation

• 20-01-2009 4:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

I thought nothing would ever come close to the brilliance and cutting nature of Scrap Saturday but Nob Nation comes close enough for me, especially with the political element imo. It can never replicate the satirical brilliance of Morgan and others who wrote Scrap Saturday but Nob Nation for me is close enough. The impressions are brilliant and I think it's magnificent overall.

Did it always rip into politicians like this? It has really torn into Cowen and FF in recent episodes as far as I can see. Not in a particularly pleasant way either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I
    Did it always rip into politicians like this? It has really torn into Cowen and FF in recent episodes as far as I can see. Not in a particularly pleasant way either.

Go too close and it might get the axe!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

It had to do something different to be honest because up until recently it was just trying to be Gift Grub...a pale imitation of Gift Grub at that. This is better stuff altogether and the writers seem to be better at this than pure comedy imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

The majority of Oliver Callan's impersonations were always technically sound, he just wasn't remotely funny. Perhaps they've found a 'work-around' to maximise his talents by avoiding jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

As an aside, Stuart Carolan who wrote Navan Man and Dr Bill (I know it was Tom Dunne) for Dunphy's show on TodayFM, what's he up to these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Writing for Rte. An episode of Raw and the Elaine Cassidy vehicle "Little white lie" with Apres matcher Barry Murphy so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I liked the drunk Cowen and cronies for a while but it hasn't moved off the topic for quite a while and when it does I don't think it hits a comedic mark. He found his funny point with the drunken sailors but he needs more meat around those bones and I don't think he has it. If he does he hasn't shown it.
    Scrap Saturday too I loved tuning in to but up to a point. The Haughey/Mara sketches were indeed excellent but I couldn't find anything funny in any other sketches away from that topic. Like all of Morgan's stuff (Fr. Ted exceptioned here as it wasn't his creation) it was far more miss than it was hit. When left to his own devices he came outr with some truely awful garbage. Scrap Saturday's CJ/Mara sketches being exceptional and the exception in his portfolio. A bit like nob nation.

But humour's like that. In the ear of the beholder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I keep missing it. When's it reliably on?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

Its on after the 10am news on 2fm or else at 22:30 during Damien Farrelly's show in the night time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Gerry Ryan usually plays it right after the 10 am news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

humberklog wrote: »
    Scrap Saturday too I loved tuning in to but up to a point. The Haughey/Mara sketches were indeed excellent but I couldn't find anything funny in any other sketches away from that topic. Like all of Morgan's stuff (Fr. Ted exceptioned here as it wasn't his creation) it was far more miss than it was hit. When left to his own devices he came outr with some truely awful garbage. Scrap Saturday's CJ/Mara sketches being exceptional and the exception in his portfolio. A bit like nob nation.

But humour's like that. In the ear of the beholder.

humour is like that..but I think you're being harsh on Morgan; The Flynn-stones was a good running gag and *nobody* pricked at the pomposity of Gerry 'Gerard' Collins more than Morgan with us being treated every week to him regaling us with more encounters with cameras, and lights and food...

Did you hear Gerry Stembridge on Tubridys show yesterday morning? i missed most of it, but he laid into todays 'satirists'; not saying that they were bad, but saying that, effectivley

a) there's more to this lark than doing imitatations
    b) you shouldn't make your victims sound cuddly (aimed at gift grub bertie, i'd say)
    c) there has NEVER been a time that we need good satire more than now...

• Advertisement

Good point Grumpy. It was a bit harsh. The political sketches were good and just reading your post reminded me of the Collins and Flynn characters. Yeah the political sketches were good.

I did hear Stembridge and he did throw a few across the bows of the young bucks and while he does have a point it didn't half come across as sour grapish. But he's been quite like that over last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

i know - i kinda thought that too...but you know what? He went and did it already. And he was f*cking good at what he did, and him and his pals got shafted. It's that simple. Rather than plough that same old furrow, Stembridge went on to write plays, write books do a bit of directing and stuff.

If he'd sat on his hole and became a bar stool carper at the pretenders, I'd treat his opinions with contempt. I don't think, (and i'm not saying you necessarily think this!) that he's one that we can fairly level the charge of 'bitter old git' at. With Morgan, he took up where Halls Pictorial Weekly left off and did wonderful work which, almost twenty years on, is talked of in tones of almost reverence.

The fact that *nobody* has come within an asses roar of matching the dynamism that the Scrap gang isn't his fault. It's sad as bedamned, but part of me thinks that he says what he says in the HOPE that he inspires some talented young hope to sit bolt upright and say 'I'LL show the old git...'

no-one has yet, it seems!

*edit* i see you're mod of songwriting - the parallel i was gonna use was, whether you like his current work or not, if Paul McCartney heard a song I'd written and said 'it's crap'...I can't call him a bitter old git; he wrote 'Here There and Everywhere'...it's that kind of thing. Stempbridge earned his stripes!

That's such a good point about Stembridge et al being shafted sideways by the only broadcasting station in the country and being rightfully grumpy on the subject. I hadn't fully walked around the subject to view it another way and kinda just caught him being caustic (re-RTE) whenever I was in the country. He's feckin' right you know (and you do). Still would say that Morgan's work was very hit and miss particularly tv, but this ain't the forum for that.

Advertisement