Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny English mistakes

• 20-01-2009 4:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

I just found a really funny website about mistakes in English that we all make, natives or not, pictured all over the world!

http://www.engrish.com/

Enjoy! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

¿Huh? Is it the 10-year anniversary of the site or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

WooPeeA wrote: »
    I just found a really funny website about mistakes in English that we all make, natives or not, pictured all over the world!

That, in itself, is a commom mistake in Ireland: the use of the term 'we' instead of 'I', when what is usually meant is 'some people'. I once heard an Irish man say 'We go to England for abortions.' The mind boggles :eek:!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

The Raven. wrote: »
    That, in itself, is a commom mistake in Ireland: the use of the term 'we' instead of 'I', when what is usually meant is 'some people'. I once heard an Irish man say 'We go to England for abortions.' The mind boggles :eek:!!
    Well yeah, but it's a some kind of shortcut to me. It's much easer to instead of "I do make those mistakes sometimes and some other people do them sometimes", say just "we make them sometimes". Of course "we" doesn't mean each one of us, it's just very unexplained word which may mean everything and nothing.. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

"Collective generality" is the term used.

While the speaker does not actually imply culpability for the deed him or herself,the term is indicative of a common use of certain actions or processes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement