Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you owe money in Australia and leave?

Options
  • 20-01-2009 6:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Since I got to Melbourne I have managed two tram fines. I also have a contract remaining on Three mobile broadband which will cost money to get out of. If I leave melbourne with out paying these bills what will happen? I know three have a copy of my passport though. Will I just get a bad credit rating in ozz? Or can the fines following me home. Will it effect me if I ever come here on holiday again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

How much are we lookin at here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

every blow in in melbourne leaves with tram fines. I have 2 police fines I never paid. Also have police fines in NZ never paid. Don't worry about it unless it's a lot of money, and even then they wouldn't be able to get you outside of oz.

Yeah but what if he wants to come back on holidays in afew years and customs start callin him names, reading his diary out loud and saying youre a tram fine dodger, clear off back to Ireland.

He wont be able to afford to go on holidays ever again, unless it's to Courtown, what with the recession and oil prices etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

I think three mobile contract will cost me 400 dollars to get out of, could be more! There is a three in Ireland too though :S

Tram fines were 2 x 158$ i think.

• Advertisement

haha not affording to go on holidays you can definately say that again. Not with the loan i left in Ireland, ha, though maybe it better to pay fines here and stay in ozz and not pay loans at home lol :P

Nah guess i wouldnt do that, i love the wee little emerald isle we call home :P

Jeasus, tram fines are expensive.
    Ill keep buying my tickets like a good law abiding citizen thank you very much.

Id say pay them, but that is steep, but its not steep enough to get barred from oz.

just buy the weekly $28 tickets you tight get! I never didn't pay when I was there, in 6 months, I couldn't handle the tension coming up to every stop, or knowing that an undercover inspector could nab you at any time.

Ah well I have been a tight git. I strangly dont feel bad about it or worry to much when im doing it. Im normaly a very honest person. I think its becuase its a goverment owned service and I dont feel any loyalty to another countrys goverment. I guess its bad that im not showing respect to a country that I am a visitor in. Though still I dont feel bad about it. Maybe ill rot in hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

$28= 14 euro. Now imagine you could get a 14 euro ticket that you could use on the dart, bus and luas and that those services usually ran to their timetable. :eek: I paid for the weekly ticket out of gratitude!

I had a friend turned back in immigration in Sydney due to an unpaid car fine. Now Im assuming that tram officer doesnt have your correct passport number so you'll prob be okay on that one. Pay the 3 contract, mobile companies chase their debts, they have all your details. Though why did they give you a contract if you only have a 12 month visa?

• Advertisement

I went to a couple of three agents and they wouldnt give it to me, aparently i didnt have enough points with my anz card, bank card, bank statement and a bill to allow me have a contract. However i finally found a place with a girl on her first day or something and she put it through so maybe i can use that as a way to get outa it. I may do some research :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Meh - I'm an honest sort who believes that if everyone played nicely then stooges like me wouldn't be footing the bill for cheats and thieves and dodgers, but that's probably not what you're interested in hearing.

FWIW, one thing I DO notice down here is that Australia are going ahead in leaps and bounds in terms of how they electronically record things - this is the first country to bring you the electronic travel authority, for instance, so, while you probably won't get caught, what I will say is that if there was somewhere that ever was going to catch you, it'd be here.

while that maybe true you also have to think of all the jobs people like me have created here :P ticket inspecters, tram security, administration office workers, auspost. All to fine me for two tickets

neon_glows wrote: »
    while that maybe true you also have to think of all the jobs people like me have created here :P ticket inspecters, tram security, administration office workers, auspost. All to fine me for two tickets

You are a saint!

Advertisement