Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What fight would you make?

• 20-01-2009 8:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭

IF you could chose any two MMA fighters who would you pick..

I'd love to see Torres V Penn - Le V Silva and the obvious one Fedor V Lesnar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cagefan

GSP Vs Silva

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cagefan

GSP V Silva

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Loads and loads of interesting fights out there

Shinya Aoki - Bj Penn
    Anderson Silva - Chuck Liddell
    Forrest Griffen - Rich Franklin
    Gerard Mousasi - Anderson Silva
    Matt Lindland - UFC Middleweight contender
    Thiago Alves - GSP
    Josh Barnett - RAndy Couture
    Semmy Schilt - Big Foot silva
    Alistair OVereem - Brock Lesnar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Congo v Lesner and hopefully we'll see it this year and hopefully congo kicks his ass

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Id just love to see Josh back in UFC
    JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Congo v Lesner and hopefully we'll see it this year and hopefully congo kicks his ass

But he wont :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Loads and loads of interesting fights out there

Shinya Aoki - Bj Penn
    Anderson Silva - Chuck Liddell
    Forrest Griffen - Rich Franklin
    Gerard Mousasi - Anderson Silva
    Matt Lindland - UFC Middleweight contender
    Thiago Alves - GSP
    Semmy Schilt - Big Foot silva
    Alistair OVereem - Brock Lesnar

These guys where at the o2 and rumored to be signing with the UFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

JoeyJJ wrote: »

I would have liked to see it after the Herring fight. It doesnt appeal to me now.

Randy V Fedor would be a dream fight for me at the moment

dancor wrote: »
    I would have liked to see it after the Herring fight. It doesnt appeal to me now.

Randy V Fedor would be a dream fight for me at the moment

The natural is one of my favorites but at this stage of his career Fedor would be to much for him. The best fight for Randy IMO is Noguirea *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 trojan Fury

I would like to see Bj Penn Vs Brock Lesner.
    mainly because Bj in a recent interview said that Ju Jitsu was invented so that the small guy could bet up the big guy.
    I'd like to see if that's true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

BJ Penn vs GSP.

Oh....wait!:D

• Advertisement

I would like to see Bj Penn Vs Brock Lesner.
    mainly because Bj in a recent interview said that Ju Jitsu was invented so that the small guy could bet up the big guy.
    I'd like to see if that's true

Royce Gracie already proved that...

T-K-O wrote: »
    Royce Gracie already proved that...

But Royce did, for a short time, also train Brock.

But Royce did, for a short time, also train Brock.

? Not sure what you mean. I'm not saying Royce would beat Brock - not now.
    Just pointing out the Royce already proved the little guy and beat the big guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

cant really pick two, but heres a few off the top of the head..

A Silva - Rampage

A Silva - Manhoef

Randy - Brock Rematch

Brock - Barnett

Brock - Big foot silva

Kid - Faber

Kid - Torres

Karo - Koscheck

lidell - Brock

lidell - kimbo :)

No, I'm not disagreeing, just pointing out that Royce was Brocks original trainer when he started training MMA.

Simply pointing out the link.;)

Although, if you think about it, now that most fighters are a lot more complete, would Royce have been as succesful against bigger fighters?
    Not playing down his skills at all, but when he was at his peak, there were so many less well rounded fighters.
    Nowadays, atheletes like GSP/Penn/Fitch/and even Hughes (for obvious reasons), have a more rounded game.

Does BJJ help the little guy beat the big guy nowadays?
    Not to the same extent I think.

Kinda, but that was before the big guys started training in BJJ. now they know how to get out of the locks and submissions holds, and brock is a bad choice, i should have said Mir. him being a black belt and all

No, I'm not disagreeing, just pointing out that Royce was Brocks original trainer when he started training MMA.

Simply pointing out the link.;)

Although, if you think about it, now that most fighters are a lot more complete, would Royce have been as succesful against bigger fighters?
    Not playing down his skills at all, but when he was at his peak, there were so many less well rounded fighters.
    Nowadays, atheletes like GSP/Penn/Fitch/and even Hughes (for obvious reasons), have a more rounded game.

Does BJJ help the little guy beat the big guy nowadays?
    Not to the same extent I think.

Actually I didnt know that!

Would Royce be as good today - I would like to think so but as he was back then I would have to say No. But its difficult to compare, he didn't need to have good striking back in the day but was obviously amazing at what he did.

If he was around now, who knows he could have work on other areas like Penn and GSP. Impossible to tell really. Wasn't it Matt Hughes that beat Royce easily about 3 years ago...

Ricardo Almyedia * is a close example, his BJJ is amazing to watch but its doesn't always get the W

Kinda, but that was before the big guys started training in BJJ. now they know how to get out of the locks and submissions holds, and brock is a bad choice, i should have said Mir. him being a black belt and all

No he proved it.

All fighters from all disciplines have improved as the years progressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Kongo vs Lesnar would really like to see it

No he proved it.

All fighters from all disciplines have improved as the years progressed.

No he didn't
    back in 90's when the ufc was starting out all the ''big guys'' would train in wrestling and boxing etc, not many of them came accross BJJ fighters and so thay had no defance to it now, seen that they train in bjj they have a defance so it would be interesting to see how the smaller bjj fighters would last up against the Heavyweights

• Advertisement

No he didn't
    back in 90's when the ufc was starting out all the ''big guys'' would train in wrestling and boxing etc, not many of them came accross BJJ fighters and so thay had no defance to it now, seen that they train in bjj they have a defance so it would be interesting to see how the smaller bjj fighters would last up against the Heavyweights

And how much wrestling / boxing training to Gracie do back in the day....:rolleyes:

Actually I didnt know that!

Would Royce be as good today - I would like to think so but as he was back then I would have to say No. But its difficult to compare, he didn't need to have good striking back in the day but was obviously amazing at what he did.

If he was around now, who knows he could have work on other areas like Penn and GSP. Impossible to tell really. Wasn't it Matt Hughes that beat Royce easily about 3 years ago...

Ricardo Almyedia * is a close example, his BJJ is amazing to watch but its doesn't always get the W

But BJJ in itself just isn't enough nowadays IMO.
    You have to be like BJ Penn or GSP like you said.
    Rounded.
    BJJ is all about beating the bigger or stronger man, but when the other man is well rounded, BJJ just isn't enough.

Almeida is a gret BJJ guy, as is Babalou, but when you put them up against more complete fighters, as you said, the L is oftern the outcome.

10 years ago Ricardo would have had alot more wins, again IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

Joachem Hansen vs Kenny Florian.

I think the point that Trojan was trying to make is that he'd like to see if BJJ is still as effective against the bigger guy, or if the bigger guy would be too much.
    10 years ago, Royce was able to defeat much bigger fighters.
    He just wanted to know if BJ could repeat the feet.

Kongo vs Lesnar would really like to see it

Lesnar would kill him.
    Congo has no game off his back, and Lesnar would have him on his back within 30 seconds.

I like Cheick, but a strong wrestler is his nemises.

And how much wrestling / boxing training to Gracie do back in the day....:rolleyes:

what that makes no since, i'm taking about the heavy weights not gracie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Joachem Hansen vs Kenny Florian.
    good battle that one.

I think the point that Trojan was trying to make is that he'd like to see if BJJ is still as effective against the bigger guy, or if the bigger guy would be too much.
    10 years ago, Royce was able to defeat much bigger fighters.
    He just wanted to know if BJ could repeat the feet.

BJJ still works against the bigger guy. The bigger all round MMA guys is something different. The bigger MMA guys can also be a black belt BJJ so IMO you cannot compare Penn to Royce

what that makes no since, i'm taking about the heavy weights not gracie.

We where talking about Gracie and you brought in the big guys - just what are you talking about ?

• Advertisement

We where talking about Gracie and you brought in the big guys - just what are you talking about ?

no i was talking about the bj vs brock the ''big guys'' and then you brought in Gracie, you need to very slowly read back over the thread, or get someone else to read it too you so you can understand it!

Advertisement