Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laying turf on weedproof membrane and gravel

Options
  • 20-01-2009 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

hi everybody,

I am a complete beguinner in gardening and I need a litte bit of help.

I bought a house, which has a very decent garden size. However, the previous owners did not grow grass and they laid a weed proof membrane and then they cover everything with gravel.

I would like to lay rolls of turf instead. My questions are:
    • should I get rid of the membrane prior to lay the turf?
    • should I also get rid of the gravel. I heard gravel can also used for drainage but I do not anything about that
    • What would be the best period to grow grass?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

mikelata wrote: »
    hi everybody,

I am a complete beguinner in gardening and I need a litte bit of help.

I bought a house, which has a very decent garden size. However, the previous owners did not grow grass and they laid a weed proof membrane and then they cover everything with gravel.

I would like to lay rolls of turf instead. My questions are:
    • should I get rid of the membrane prior to lay the turf?
    • should I also get rid of the gravel. I heard gravel can also used for drainage but I do not anything about that
    • What would be the best period to grow grass?

A little gravel would certainly help drainage but I suspect what you have is probably too big and too much? So probably best to remove all the gravel. Not knowing which membrane you have, makes it difficult to say if it should also be removed? Most 'horticultural' membranes do eventually bio-degrade, and there can considerable differences in life span, eg, cheap DIY types last 1 -3 years, some better grades up to 5-7 years, and professional grades generally 20+ years. Also membranes usually allow oxygen and water to filter through, this will not be the case if your membrane is 'builders plastic sheeting'.

But it is a very interesting question, should the membrane be removed, well, if it is a light grade and at least 100-150mm below lawn level, you could leave it in situ. As always the weed barrier is effective below and does not stop weeds germinating on the surface, and if it is deeper this is a greater risk in lawns.

I'd remove it and depending on weather probably sow a new lawn from March/April onwards or if you prefer use roll turf almost 'anytime' except during very cold/wet spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭mikelata

hi Sonnenblumen,

Thanks for your informative reply.

I am back to Dublin now, so I am going to process with the plan. I was also thinking that a compromise could b leaving the membrane but maybe punching holes at it?

thanks

Advertisement