Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we all this desperate for thanks?

Options
  • 20-01-2009 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

I've noticed there's an awful lot of this kind of stuff going on lately;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58678139&postcount=190

Nothing personal towards Mr Magnolia since it's something everyone's doing and I just needed an example (though it was 'witty' I guess), but there's so many posts that seem like feeble (and sometimes brilliant) attempts at getting a slew of "Thanks" below them.

I don't really find it annoying, but more so embarrassing for the poster themselves (because they look a bit foolish when an obvious attempt at a joke was made, and failed).

And no, I don't want thanks for this post.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Shut up n00b.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I thanked you MagicMarker because it was both witty and correct. Does that mean I fell for the trap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

If the OP doesn't want thanks can I thank myself :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I thanked you MagicMarker because it was both witty and correct. Does that mean I feel for the trap.

And I thanked you for thanking MagicMarker.

Well aren't we all the thank whores. Maybe the OP is right.

Nah!! Shut up n00b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I'm still waiting, hoping for an antithank button. Please oh please give me an antithank button.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Couldn't really give two ****s about thanks tbh. I look at people who are obcessed with having a high thanks count are just like them saps playing games to do the achievements so that they can get one-up on a 13 year old American.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

You haven't been thank very often then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Couldn't really give two ****s about thanks tbh.
    Yeah post-count is where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

its the way i was brought up, always told to say please and thank you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

What's the problem with thanks-whores? It requires effort, and they try and make their posts witty and funny, which generally results in their post being witty, and funny.

Postcount-whores just post any old shite in as many threads as possible, and sit back and stroke their e-penis.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I can't think of a time where witty comments weren't appreciated on forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

It is right to give him thanks and praise. So...............yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Are you this desperate for thanks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

mp3guy wrote: »
    I've noticed there's an awful lot of this kind of stuff going on lately;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58678139&postcount=190

Nothing personal towards Mr Magnolia since it's something everyone's doing and I just needed an example (though it was 'witty' I guess), but there's so many posts that seem like feeble (and sometimes brilliant) attempts at getting a slew of "Thanks" below them.

I don't really find it annoying, but more so embarrassing for the poster themselves (because they look a bit foolish when an obvious attempt at a joke was made, and failed).

And no, I don't want thanks for this post.

Seems to me like someone is overreacting just a tad. You see something on the internet that you thought wasn't funny, so the ONLY reason the person said it was to get "thanks"?

Last time i checked, sense of humour was not a universal thing, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Couldn't really give two ****s about thanks tbh. I look at people who are obcessed with having a high thanks count are just like them saps playing games to do the achievements so that they can get one-up on a 13 year old American.

World of Warcraft and boards.ie...can't really make the connection...

Reckon there'll be a Most Thanked award for 2009? Some wanker will get it. Gaurenteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

I thanked you MagicMarker because it was both witty and correct. Does that mean I fell for the trap.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Wagon wrote: »
    Reckon there'll be a Most Thanked award for 2009? Some wanker will get it. Gaurenteed.

Yeah, i think it will be Sherifu as well.:D

Dragan wrote: »
    I would've said Turd Ferguson. He has quiet an impressive thanks to post ratio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I've always enjoyed a good thank, and I would consider myself an enthusiastic thanker :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

joeperry wrote: »
    I've always enjoyed a good thank, and I would consider myself an enthusiastic thanker :)

Nice try...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Yeah it seems that thanks are the main aim of half poster's posts when attempting to be funny. I eprsonally probably don't do anything to help as I regularly thank a funny post.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I hate thanks
    But you've thanked plenty of posts mpdoublestandardsguy. You're a part of the problem you claim exists! What you've done is the same as a mass murderer knocking on Pighead's door telling him killing people is wrong. What's your angle here buddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If I had a ferret, I'd call it Roger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

If there was a way of putting a 'Negative comment' or 'No Thanks' :D

People would abuse it so much more...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

rofl

pwnd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

rofl

pwnd.

Yes, even I do it, that was me pointing it out tongue in cheek. Some peoples replies to this thread are hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

People in posting funny one-line remarks in the most light-hearted forum of a popular internet board shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Some peoples replies to this thread are hilarious.
    You should really thank them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Dragan wrote: »
    Get back to stalking the Ladies Lounge. I was hampered for a while, only now have I hit the thousand magical thanks. ;_;

I hope I get a free t-shirt with 'Dragan is cool' on it.

Advertisement