Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to test?

• 20-01-2009 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

I'm just wondering when it's a good time to do a pregnancy test? I don't want to do an early one in case it shows positive but it's just an intermittent thing and the pregnancy is lost.

I never had a regular period it was always between 24 and 36 days, I haven't had a "natural" period in 6 years, when it was only one in a break I took from the pill after 3 years. So last time I was off the pill was 9 years ago.

I've actually avoided buying a test in advance, I don't want to get my hopes up. I was thinking around day 30, but it could be too soon...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

You can get the ones to test early, but I wouldn't tbh. You could end up testing every day, hoping......................

Day 30 should be good as implantation should have taken place at that stage. If you get a negative hold out for 3 days (very hard to do, was going to say a week but that would be impossible!!!) and then test again.

Good luck :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I would test from the day after the date of your liongest period if you have to. Having said that when I was pregnant I tested the day after my period was normally due (and at night, remember to test in the morning)...the thing that I would be scared about would be if you loose the baby in the first week, it would still hurt. The reason why I am so careful is because I am diabetic and if I fall pregnant I have to monitor my blood sugars even more tightly than normal.

This sounds tough, but idealy you should wait until day 40-42 in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭KittenCaboodle

You're right Cathy, I don't really want to be getting my hopes up.

It's 9 years since I've had a menstrual period and this first one could be extremely late so I shouldn't even consider testing until day 40.

I did buy tests though, they were on special offer in Dunnes at the weekend. :o

Sorry, just being honest with you...I know, am back on the ttc again and scared about testing again....I got the expensive ones that tell how far along you are gone but any one that spells it out for you is good (ie the digital ones), if you do get good news it makes it an instant joy instead of trying to work the thing out! Good luck.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Sorry, just being honest with you...I know, am back on the ttc again and scared about testing again....I got the expensive ones that tell how far along you are gone but any one that spells it out for you is good (ie the digital ones), if you do get good news it makes it an instant joy instead of trying to work the thing out! Good luck.

That's what I got alright. They had a two pack for €12.50. I had seen them in various chemists for €15+

They're in the drawer now for another couple of weeks.

PS I'm glad you haven't given up Cathy. xxx

• Advertisement

Well it's day 34 and no period or period-like feelings.
    This is the longest ever, I found an old diary at home where there was an entry about a late period at 32 days which I was freaking out about.

I am starting to feel a bit floopy though, waking up to go to the loo in the night but having nothing to do. My nips are killing me and for some reason my tinnitus in my right ear has gone haywire (it usually only gets like this if I'm out of breath).

It could all be psychosomatic but I hope not. I'm letting myself think a bit about it today, I had to keep stopping myself yesterday.

We're going to test on Saturday, I don't really want to have to go into work after the test, whatever the outcome so we're waiting until then.

I've been knitting which is good at keeping your mind from wandering (doing a complicated pattern). :)

Wish me luck chicas.

Best of luck...I know though that I am feeling pregnant too but I did a test on Tuesday which was negative - will be testing Friday week (if I can wait that long), I really hope that you get great news though (hugs).

Thanks. :)

Just texted himself to give him a status update (felt Facebook would be inappropriate :P), saying "I'm trying to keep cool but I fear I'm failing".

Think he's a bit freaked out about it maybe happening so soon, but he'll be fine.

Good luck yourself, I'm spending all my leftover hope on you. :)

It was negative this morning.

Still no period or any actual periody feelings but I'm taking it as I'm not.

A little disappointed but not too bad thankfully.

Back to the drawing board! :p

warroom8wh.jpg

Was thinking about you this morning, sorry but there is still hope.

• Advertisement

Still nothing. Did another test this morning as instructed and still negative. It's more than likely to do with coming off the pill but I'm going to see the doctor all the same. I just want my period to come now so I know I'm OK IYKWIM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 dara28

Person is maybe 3 days later. Test was done and said pregnant. used different brand then later on same day and it was negative. second test was using one that was due to expire this month.

i dont know.....

Advertisement