Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

your preferred healing method for ink and aftercare for life dicuss?

• 20-01-2009 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

i have tried lots of creams at difftent stages but this is what works for me

leave bandage from studio 5ish hours or overnight dedending on time of tattoo

wash using liquid anti bacterial soap
    *simple thing but wash your hands good and proper b4 you clean your tattoo
    pat dry gently
    apply bepatnten (sp)
    recover with cling film and med tape
    do this approx 4 times a day

after a few days of said depending on tattoo size usally 4ish days
    i just wash and apply cream sparingly, less is more
    i always rewrap going to bed cling film and cream as then no sticking to bed clothes with cream and you are not going to be stuck to the sheets has happen(tattoo related before someone comments)
    then i usally am good to go 10ish days i apply cream less and less then
    most cases no scab forms

some people love tattoo goo and that but say what works for you,
    what products you use in the summer i use i high ph factor cream as i burn very easily.

so what works for you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

good thread :cool:

I do something similar to you, except I learned the hard way not to leave the studio bandage on too long on a colour tattoo!

I didnt take it off for 5/6 hours cos id no spare wrap with me :rolleyes: and when I peeled it back it was gooey and unhappy looking. Some of the blue came out and while the artist had said it might happen anyway due to the placement, I think it was due to not letting it breathe sooner.

Which reminds me, I should really go back and get it touched up :p

I agree about the bepanthen, its fab.

I tend to do the night wraps for about 4 nights then switch to wearing loose cotton over it :)

As regards the sun, high high factors and covered up where possible for me :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭djrlittleton

Molberts wrote: »
    good thread :cool:
    , I think it was due to not letting it breathe sooner.

:cool:

where was the tattoo on your body?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

i remove the wrapping after about 2 hrs, go for a long warm shower and a very gentle wash.

I used to use bepanthen religiously till i had none in the house for my last tat, instead i used baby oil gel in the shower and i have to say i was very impressed, it moisturised as i showered and my tat didn't get all scabby or itchy, every morning i showered with baby oil gel and it did the trick.

and yeh before anyone asks my last two tats were quite big with alot of detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Lilliput69 wrote: »
    i remove the wrapping after about 2 hrs, go for a long warm shower and a very gentle wash.

Long shower just after getting your tattoo done is a bad idea, as is a bath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Been ages since I got fresh ink :(
    Not for long though :D

I removed wrapping about 3 hours after, let it breathe. Then had a short shower just letting the water run over the fresh tattoo. Once that was done I let it drip dry then padded it down gently with a towel.

Once that was all over i used elave intensive cream, kept it really well and held the colour brilliantly.

org_intensivecream.jpg

That's what it looks like, 8euro i think in the chemist. Can't go wrong and it's what I will use when I get my next one too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

Long shower just after getting your tattoo done is a bad idea, as is a bath.

Everyones skin is different, this is what works for me, i have never had any trouble with any of my tats , when i say a long shower, i am not scrubbing the tat, water is just rolling over the tat. Anyway each to their own and what ever works for ya ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Sweenox

Ive never recovered mine,I take the film off after around 2-3hrs den wash it in warm soapy water,pat it dry then use bepanthen,I do this a few times a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

then no sticking to bed clothes with cream and you are not going to be stuck to the sheets has happen(tattoo related before someone comments)

Stop don't talk to me, I have the inside of my forearm done, about 2 days after the second session I went out on the lash, got twisted and woke up on the floor of a hostel in central London with all the scabs after being pulled off. I had to get it touched up afterward, silliness altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

where was the tattoo on your body?

Its on the side of my stomach/front of hip .. eg on that stretchy lady tummy skin that hates holding tattoo ink :rolleyes:

cupcake1.jpg

ah a bit of fall out can be expected there it happens your aftercare is prob bang on

we are all fairly agreed on our methods i know of one or two people that swear by elave, i tried it made me feel itchy so i went back to my norm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I take the wrapping off after about two hours and never cover it up again, tried re-covering it before and both times it healed horribly and needed retouching, my skin definitely needs to breathe.

After uncovering it I wash it very gently with hot water, pat it dry and put on Savlon, I don't know many other people who use Savlon but it works for me.
    Then I use Savlon twice a day for about five days, or until it's not an open wound any more basically, and I use unscented moisturiser two or three times a day after that until it's healed completely.

As far as long-term care goes, high SPF suncream all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Nools

my tat is healed now but I still used tattoo goo on it, its keeps the colour really bright and new/fresh looking. I got it on ebay but i was told once that u can get it in wildcat.

also for the itchy flakey stage I got a mini ice pack, put it in a CLEAN NON FLUFFY sock and placed it over the tattoo, this was amazing..and i some how felt like i was cheating the system. I only did this when there was nothing oozy or "open" in my tattoo, like when the first stage of healing was done, no fluffs stuck anywhere!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭enimakat

hey guys
    2 quick q's - not the new thread starter kinda guy so as both questions are somewhat healing related i thought id throw them in here! if they should be somewhere else please let me know!
    Iv finalised a design for my tattoo, all drawn up and really excited, waiting to book an appointment to get it done, but i had said that i would donate platelets before i get it! so basically how long should i wait before i get the tat done? or does it matter? afaik my platelet count should be back to normal within like 3 days or something. is that long enough?

2nd ques
    im sure healing times are very specific to individuals and depending on size and all but i trampoline a lot (train daily with college club) and wondering would i be out for long it being competition season and all - the design is about the size of a tax disk and getting it on my upper thigh.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

enimakat wrote: »
    hey guys
    2 quick q's - not the new thread starter kinda guy so as both questions are somewhat healing related i thought id throw them in here! if they should be somewhere else please let me know!
    Iv finalised a design for my tattoo, all drawn up and really excited, waiting to book an appointment to get it done, but i had said that i would donate platelets before i get it! so basically how long should i wait before i get the tat done? or does it matter? afaik my platelet count should be back to normal within like 3 days or something. is that long enough?

2nd ques
    im sure healing times are very specific to individuals and depending on size and all but i trampoline a lot (train daily with college club) and wondering would i be out for long it being competition season and all - the design is about the size of a tax disk and getting it on my upper thigh.

Thanks
    not sure about the first Q but most tatts heal in 10days- 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭pandemonium

Hey sorry if i'm thread resurrecting but i got my first tattoo on saturday and I've noticed that bits of it look whiteish on top,is that normal?
    Also how often should i wash it? I've searched the threads and read the aftercare 1s but couldn't find any info on how often i should wash it with the antibacterial soap. Any help you could give me would be great. Thanks and sorry if this inconveniences you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I usually just wash mine every morning in the shower, then add bepanthen every 3 hours-ish / whenever it starts to feel dry.

The whiteness happens sometimes, I think it's the tattoo scabbing up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭tattoo

Bepanthen is the best i've used.

I've tried savlon, Preperation H, Tattoo goo and bepanthen. tattoo goo was dreadfull. no complaint with the others but bepanthen is the best by far.

I normally remove the covering about 2 to 3 hours after i leave the studio. I only cover it then at night.

Thanks ! Its only small and on my wrist so would i need to wrap it at night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I would for the first few days at least, just so it doesn't rub off stuff. Just wrap cling film around it and it'd be grand.

• Advertisement

Its gone kinda hard and whitish,its peeling a bit and i'm not touching it but is that normal?

I go with bepanthen, had great results with it and seems to be the standard for healing.

Enough to lightly cover the tattoo, a small layer and rub it in with your fingers. Can warm it up in your fingers which will help it dissolve in, then work it into the tattoo

No problem.

Did the studio not run through after care with you though?

Advertisement