Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tim Cahill

• 20-01-2009 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Ignoring even last night's goal. What a cracking little player he is. Without any direspect to Everton, I think he's good enough to be playing week in, week out with the big four sides(maybe excluding Chelsea). Being an United fan myself, I was always hoping Fergie would try and snap him up. He seemed like a decent short-term replacement for Scholesy.

Maybe i'm overrating him though. Opinions, lads?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Would prefer Arteta myself.

If United were going to sign an Everton player I would prefer it to be Arteta.

Think he would be a good sign for Liverpool, Arsenal, or United. Even at Chelsea he would be a good signing with there ageing midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

Arteta is another excellent footballer. He is better on the wing though. He was quiet enough last night but delievered an excellent set-piece.

The height Cahill can get off the ground is something incredible. On top of the fact that he'll work his bollix off for ya. Only problem is he isn't the fastest but if he keep timing his runs into the box like he is, he won't need to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Arteta and Cahill are two players I would always have liked to see at Arsenal.

Arteta would fit in perfectly with our passing game and as well he really works his socks off.

Cahill would be a good signing because because he's an abrasive in-your-face bastard who won't pull out of a tackle. Another thing Arsenal are currently lacking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Arteta is another excellent footballer. He is better on the wing though. He was quiet enough last night but delievered an excellent set-piece.

Arteta's best position is in the centre of midfield... Ask any Evertonian. He was wilting out on the wing. As soon as he was moved into the centre of midfield about 7 or 8 games ago, the change in the man's game was phenomenal.

He can do a job on the right, but you get the most out of him in the middle...

and oh yeah... hands off mikey and timmy :pac:

Arteta's best position is in the centre of midfield... Ask any Evertonian. He was wilting out on the wing. As soon as he was moved into the centre of midfield about 7 or 8 games ago, the change in the man's game was phenomenal.

100% agree on this.
    He used to play there for Barca but when he came to Everton he wasn't having a great time there and he was thrown out on the left wing.
    Now that he's moved back inside into what I would call the 'Xabi Alonso Role' his game has improved tenfold.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Has he ever scored a goal not from a corner or free-kick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Tim Cahill annoys me, very very much!!!

dfx- wrote: »

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i wouldnt mind him at the villa alrite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Cahill and Arteta are overrated to be honest.

Not worth their £1.5m (Cahill) and £2m (Arteta) transfer fees.

• Advertisement

Does it matter? He scores thats the important thing.

Also agree that Arteta is better in the middle, sitting back controlling the tempo of the game, and making the team tick.

Sorry for hijacking the thread by bringing up Arteta.

I hope they both stay at Everton though. Moyes is doing a really good job there, and shows that the board were right to stick with them when they had a bad season a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Yes when he is fit Cahill is a great player - i would also like to see him and/or Arteta at MU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Cahill and Arteta are overrated to be honest.

Not worth their £1.5m (Cahill) and £2m (Arteta) transfer fees.

:D

That's a joke, right?

:D

That's a joke, right?

I imagine the "overrated" bit is.

However they most certainly are not worth 1.5m and 2m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Arteta has no pace thats why he is much better in the deeper role once played by Carsley.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I know he has scored..certainly one from distance at Anfield in a 2-1 defeat, but what I'm getting at is I'd guess that if Arteta and his innate ability to find him with a dead ball left before him, how it would effect his goals..

Arteta isn't the best at tackling tbh. That's why I thought he does well on the wing, obviously i haven't been following Everton well enough.

They would both command heft price tags now tbh and Moyes would never let them go.

As for Cahill not scoring with his feet. Check him out in the Australia/Japan game in the WC. One was a quality strike.

I know he has scored..certainly one from distance at Anfield in a 2-1 defeat, but what I'm getting at is I'd guess that if Arteta and his innate ability to find him with a dead ball left before him, how it would effect his goals..

It certainly woul. Imagine Cahill with Beckham/Arteta supply. He'd probably score more than Ronaldo last season.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I imagine the "overrated" bit is.

However they most certainly are not worth 1.5m and 2m.

You're saying they're worth more aren't you? I'm terribly confused by people saying they're over/underrated.

Haven't really paid much attention to Arteta, but I've always thought Cahill was a great bit of stuff.

Hate how he pronounces his name though.

He scored 11 league goals in 33 league games the year before Arteta joined, so I don't agree.

• Advertisement

It's a real pity McCarthy never called him up for the Irish side after he declared he wanted to play. Would be a huge asset to us now. Considering how light we are in midfield. Great bite about him and won't back down.

I think back to him demanding an apology off Essien last year. After he scored that cracking bicycle.:D Legend.

keane2097 wrote: »
    You're saying they're worth more aren't you? I'm terribly confused by people saying they're over/underrated.

Haven't really paid much attention to Arteta, but I've always thought Cahill was a great bit of stuff.

Hate how he pronounces his name though.

They are not over rated.

They are worth a lot more that 1.5m and 2m (what Everton paid)

clear enough?

It's a real pity McCarthy never called him up for the Irish side after he declared he wanted to play. Would be a huge asset to us now. Considering how light we are in midfield. Great bite about him and won't back down.

I think back to him demanding an apology off Essien last year. After he scored that cracking bicycle.:D Legend.

WTF? When did that happen?

Surely he's been playing for Australia for years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Those long throws by Rory Delap would suit Cahill fine :(

Yup.

Only since 2004. He wanted to join the Irish squad for the 2002.

From wiki

The midfielder only made his debut for the Australian national team in 2004, as a result of his having played for Samoa at Under-20 level at the age of 14. In 2002 Cahill expressed desire to play for Mick McCarthy's Republic of Ireland 2002 World Cup team, and even considered taking legal action against FIFA for the association's refusal to allow his change of nationality.[17] His Australia debut was in a friendly against South Africa on 30 June 2004 at Loftus Road, London

latchyco wrote: »
    Those long throws by Rory Delap would suit Cahill fine :(

We'd be the Stoke of the international scene.

Delap is a quality dribbler though. Give the man credit for the quality goal vs Chelsea.:D

From wiki

The midfielder only made his debut for the Australian national team in 2004, as a result of his having played for Samoa at Under-20 level at the age of 14. In 2002 Cahill expressed desire to play for Mick McCarthy's Republic of Ireland 2002 World Cup team, and even considered taking legal action against FIFA for the association's refusal to allow his change of nationality.[17] His Australia debut was in a friendly against South Africa on 30 June 2004 at Loftus Road, London

Damn. Was looking for an excuse to blame McCarthy.;)

That is a pity...

• Advertisement

If he did play for Ireland, he'd have to change his name from Cay-hill to Ca-hill. The way it should be pronounced!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

From wiki

Jesus.. never knew that! He is exactly what Ireland need!

Would be well worth that carry pronouncation for him in midfield. We would have won the bloody thing in 2002 with him. He surely would have slotted home a peno.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

It's a real pity McCarthy never called him up for the Irish side after he declared he wanted to play. Would be a huge asset to us now.

McCarthy is an idiot

We'd be the Stoke of the international scene.

Delap is a quality dribbler though. Give the man credit for the quality goal vs Chelsea.:D
    He does use his assets very well .

JP Liz wrote: »
    McCarthy is an idiot

I would have battled like hell to get a player of Cahill's quality in the side. Keane/Cahill midfield back then.

Keane would never have left. Cahill would smack sense in him before he hit the door.;)

• Advertisement

latchyco wrote: »
    He does use his assets very well .

Some might not agree that they are "assets".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Silly post
    He's scored loads of goals that are not from free kicks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

So what if cahill doesnt socre with his feet or not. He scores thats all that matters at the end of the day is the FT score.
    It could of in of his a**e for all I care.
    Cracking little player well suited to Everton's style of play and its working for us.
    Would like to see other players in now to hold our place.

But were people aware of Tim Cahill around 2001/02. I'm sure he wasn't the player he is now. I only first noticed him in Millwalls run to the F.A Cup final in 2004.
    It;s all very well looking back in hindsight!

Some might not agree that they are "assets".
    Yes, like the opposition .

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    But were people aware of Tim Cahill around 2001/02. I'm sure he wasn't the player he is now. I only first noticed him in Millwalls run to the F.A Cup final in 2004.
    It;s all very well looking back in hindsight!

we don't get paid to scout players.

anyway I think it was Fifa that blocked him from playing for Ireland.

anyway I think it was Fifa that blocked him from playing for Ireland.

Aye I believe that was the case.
    Cant blame McCarthy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

well that answers that he has scored in open play i guess:P
    And i also never knew about him wanting to join Ireland..Thats a shame:(

Soby wrote: »
    well that answers that he has scored in open play i guess:P
    And i also never knew about him wanting to join Ireland..Thats a shame:(

Indeed it is mate. he would have been a huge asset to us if we had him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Cahill and Arteta are two very nice players alrite, Cahill was very clever for his goal last night. And Rangers amde a loss on Arteta a few seasons ago:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I dont think arteta would fit in at united, cahill would certainly fit in better id say, if any of the 2 of them were to sign for united id go for cahill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

curry-muff wrote: »
    I dont think arteta would fit in at united, cahill would certainly fit in better id say, if any of the 2 of them were to sign for united id go for cahill

I would actually go for Arteta over Cahill, better technique and passing and can hit a excellent corner and free kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Smegball wrote: »
    I would actually go for Arteta over Cahill, better technique and passing and can hit a excellent corner and free kick.

Well id go for Cahill mainly because of the physicallity of the united midfield, carrick and scholes arent the biggest of lads :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

curry-muff wrote: »
    Well id go for Cahill mainly because of the physicallity of the united midfield, carrick and scholes arent the biggest of lads :pac::pac:

Go for Robbie Savage then :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement