Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Router - Wireless Problem

Options
  • 20-01-2009 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I recently got Irish Broadband installed and they provided me with an ethernet modem with no wirless.
    Is it possible to configure a Netgear DG834G to work as an wireless access point? I know it's an ADSL modem but not sure if I could configure one of the LAN port to connect in the ethernet cable from the Irish Broadband modem.

Thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If it's their "Breeze" rooftop antenna service, then no, it won't work. The ethernet box is only a Power Over Ethernet device that bridges the signal between the antenna and your PC, and provides power to the rooftop ethernet box. You'll need a non-ADSL "cable router" that has a 5th LAN port (usually called a WAN port) that lets you program in the IP, Subnet, Default Gateway and DNS server addresses that Irish Broadband provide you with. Then it will work.

If it's their ADSL service though (through the phoneline), then it's just a matter of substituting the ethernet modem they give you with your Netgear and putting in the correct login settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Check out the computer hardware section of adverts, WGR614G's come up on this quite a bit, it's the same router Irish Broadband sell for use with breeze

Advertisement