Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is why I want to start taking sailing photographs

• 20-01-2009 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

Have a look at this.

There's one lovely one of the Asgard II which I can't quite sort out in my head (1)

Also really like 3 and 7 but there's really no bad photographs there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Yeah the 1st and 14th are a little weird perspective wise. Do you know how big those wind-farm propellers are? They look like they should intersect the sea before the horizon, but that are in fact so big they are probably very close to the horizon- much further away than you would think

Here a (crappy mobile phone) picture of one of the 3 propeller arms with a car for scale:
    70866.jpg

I think the fact that the sea is choppy brings the horizon closer. Even still it is weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I feel alot of the photos were just quickly "snapped",There are some nice ones there but the rest are just OK,

I was hoping for more on board photos,in stormy waether where wave are bashing off the boat!

I tried to find an example but i cant :(

I know the images are trying to show the landscapes behind them but i don't like it like that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I like the third pic.
    Most of the others are meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yep... boats at sea are a damnsight more interesting photo subject matter than boats tied to a pier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Have shot some sailing and its not all glamour, brought Shep the Dog once and he didnt take one pic, he turned green as soon as we left the mouth of the harbour, Could prob organise a charter boat and get a few snappers on board during the summer if anyone is interested!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I'm tempted to see if the tall ships are in Douarnenez this year. If they are I know where I'm going on my holidays.

Otherwise, yeah, tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Some great shots, Volvo Ocean Race is coming to Galway in May, better take a couple of days off.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that.

Makes note to self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I am planning on having my rib in galway (and 40d) for this event. Will have room for a couple of people if anyones interested.

I've been sailing for over 20 years but only recently started taking serious photos. For onboard work you need a really wide lens. I have a 17-55 2.8 and its not really wide enough. a 10-22 would be better. For long shots I use a 70-200 but I think something longer is needed sometimes.

Water protection is a must. In the rib or onboard a sailing boat there can be lots of spray. I have a couple of shots taken over 20 years ago which has at least 2 tons of water coming over the cockbit (and me). You don't want to lose the gear.

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Some great shots, Volvo Ocean Race is coming to Galway in May, better take a couple of days off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

elderlemon wrote: »
    ..... For onboard work you need a really wide lens. I have a 17-55 2.8 and its not really wide enough. a 10-22 would be better. ....

Agreed. Here's a few of mine from a sailing trip last year. The boat was 50ft long, and the shots were taken with a Tokina 12-24 on a 350D.*

For long shots I use a 70-200 but I think something longer is needed sometimes.
    As you will know, there's a lot of movement on a smaller boat, and it's not always smooth, so it can be very hard to maintain a shot at a long focal length.

*Shameless shot plug!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

The problem I found with using the 300mm onboard a boat is that when looking through the lens the movement is exagerated and I felt quite quesy very quickly, so stuck to the 80-200 which was not as bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

cool pics!
    I love sailing and plan to go sailing around the world someday and take all the amazing pics of all the amazing places around the world by the sea...

Though i'ld guess it'ld be quite a challenge to take a proper shot with the boat moving and bouncing all around...

Oh and i really wanna go to galway to check out the volvo ocean race in may. Should be a good trip with loads of cool pics to take...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If you like sailing pics, this will keep you entertained for hours

http://www.yourboatpix.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Cosmo K wrote: »

If you are planning to take shots from a rib you better have serious horsepower and lots of fuel the volvo 70's are QUICK!

twin honda 150 hp on the back. Don't think the V70's can do 45 knots!

mrboswell wrote: »
    If you are planning to take shots from a rib you better have serious horsepower and lots of fuel the volvo 70's are QUICK!

Nice shots.

I always thought the law on wearing lifejackets all the time was crazy. two summers ago, out on a great summer day on Dublin bay. Not a breath of wind, sun beating down (remember those days?), engine off, sails down,drifting..

My daughter, 10, sitting on the deck with her lifejacket on (as per the rules) decides to go for a swim. She takes off her lifejacket and jumps over the side! Has a great swim, gets back out and puts back on here lifejacket!

The law is an ass!
    Agreed. Here's a few of mine from a sailing trip last year. The boat was 50ft long, and the shots were taken with a Tokina 12-24 on a 350D.*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I am planning on having my rib in galway (and 40d) for this event. Will have room for a couple of people if anyones interested.

I've been sailing for over 20 years but only recently started taking serious photos. For onboard work you need a really wide lens. I have a 17-55 2.8 and its not really wide enough. a 10-22 would be better. For long shots I use a 70-200 but I think something longer is needed sometimes.

Water protection is a must. In the rib or onboard a sailing boat there can be lots of spray. I have a couple of shots taken over 20 years ago which has at least 2 tons of water coming over the cockbit (and me). You don't want to lose the gear.

Would definately be interested in jumping on board - if the offer is open to all !!!

Some great pictures there, however the majority are a bit 'boring'. The Open60/70 races usually have some excellent photos, as they get up to mad speeds.

I was going to ask about this - how do you protect gear in that environment? Ribs get drenched by the spray so the gear would as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

i think 24 and 30 are great......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

2573258120_b26f881bbd_o.jpg

Dun Laoghaire is my favourite place for boats.http://www.flickr.com/photos/anouilh/2573258120/sizes/o/

• Advertisement

rain/splash covers and a prayer.

I got a rain cover in B&H and it attaches to the front of the lens. I then bind the seal with tape to ensure no water gets in. Another trick is to attach a uv filter and then, yes, vaseline the edges so that water is kept out. Saw a french photographer do this once and he swears by it.

You still have to be very careful through and many times I've been drowned with a wave and worried that I wasn't careful enough.
    Some great pictures there, however the majority are a bit 'boring'. The Open60/70 races usually have some excellent photos, as they get up to mad speeds.

I was going to ask about this - how do you protect gear in that environment? Ribs get drenched by the spray so the gear would as well..

It has never dawned on me to take my camera out on a wet day, never mind to go near large expanses of water with it.

My photos of seascapes are usually taken from hundreds of meters inland.

I shall have to review this...

The equipment for keeping cameras dry seems a bit expensive:

http://www.waterproof-paper.com/cases/waterproof-camera-case.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

There are some good spots along east coast where yachts are very close to shore. Thinking again of Rush, Skerries and Balbriggan where there is plenty of activity between sailing clubs and trawlers. If you have a life jacket and ask at a sailing club I am sure someone will bring you out for a spin. If you can go round Lambay Island its fantastic massive amount of birds and often Baskin Sharks. Charter boat is good idea.

I used to take photographs of sailing boats in Howth and I also have some nice shots from Schull in Cork from before I really knew how to use a DSLR.

I like doing it.

Anouilh, if you think the link you provided is expensive, I'm sorry that's utterly naive. They are dirt cheap compared to proper waterproof casings for DSLRs which cost from 1000E upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

The guys going on about chartering the boat are on to something; the bigger
    the boat the better in fairness +45 ft would be best as 30ft get cramped with
    about 6 passangers + basic crew.

I have been sail racing for quite a while and have very few photos that I'm
    happy with as if your responsible for some aspect of actually sailing there
    isn't much time for shooting.

Re: ribs and the volvo ocean race it's my understanding that the "in harbour"
    races will be going quite far out the bay and if the weather is nasty you will
    take quite a hammering. The yacht will move through it much more efficiently
    regardless of out right top speeds. A Volvo Open 70 can top 30Kts flat out so
    they are no slouch.

totally agree. bigger = more room to move = more distance between you and the subject. Anything smaller than 40' is difficult. I sail a lot on a 50 footer and thats just about ok. and yes, if you want to take photos go as a photographer, not as a member of the crew.

I agree the 70's are fast but there are still not a match for a rib and I expect lots of other official photo ribs to be out there doing their stuff. The idea is to get ahead or behind and get in possition and wait for them to come to you.
    Burnt wrote: »
    The guys going on about chartering the boat are on to something; the bigger
    the boat the better in fairness +45 ft would be best as 30ft get cramped with
    about 6 passangers + basic crew.

I have been sail racing for quite a while and have very few photos that I'm
    happy with as if your responsible for some aspect of actually sailing there
    isn't much time for shooting.

Re: ribs and the volvo ocean race it's my understanding that the "in harbour"
    races will be going quite far out the bay and if the weather is nasty you will
    take quite a hammering. The yacht will move through it much more efficiently
    regardless of out right top speeds. A Volvo Open 70 can top 30Kts flat out so
    they are no slouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

I agree the 70's are fast but there are still not a match for a rib and I expect lots of other official photo ribs to be out there doing their stuff. The idea is to get ahead or behind and get in possition and wait for them to come to you.

I intended it as remark upon the comfort of such a trip; for the
    uninitiated ;) Not knocking the idea at all.

FWIW There is a french guy; Olivier Bauduin I think, does a lot of photography on the various regattas around the country.

Advertisement