Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road Tax

Options
  • 20-01-2009 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi All,

I'm sure this has been discussed here at length before, but can any one tell me if there is any public "interest group" attempting to deal with the current road tax scam? i.e. pre '08 cars with low emissions having to pay daft amounts for road tax annually.

Just searched the forum there, but can't find any info.

Thanks,
    D

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not to my knowledge.
    By the way, we don't have road tax - we have motor tax!
    As for your point about "pre '08 cars with low emissions having to pay daft amounts for road tax annually" - what about cars that don't have low emissions but aren't used much, etc.?
    Anyhow, a lobby group on this matter won't have a hope. If anything under the current economic climate, motor tax will go up, not down!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

bantaman wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been discussed here at length before, but can any one tell me if there is any public "interest group" attempting to deal with the current road tax scam? i.e. pre '08 cars with low emissions having to pay daft amounts for road tax annually.
    How is it a scam when the cars were bought with eyes open under the old system?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bantaman

@Anan1: A Scam, is by definition, a swindle. A great number of motorists (in this particular situation) are being swindled on a daily basis when it comes to tax. This has been talked about many times before and I'm not going to waste your time or mine getting into it. I get what you are saying, I just don't see why owners with pre '08 low emission cars should pay more for tax.

@Killian: Thanks for the correction - wrong choice of words on my part! With regards to cars that aren't used that much - I'm not questioning the amount of use. That's one of those "how long is a piece of string" conversations. I'm aware that road tax is more than likely going to go up and I agree that a public lobby group are not going to get far (although Simi, a lobby group with considerable pull, had a big hand in the current setup). But personally, I would rather have a say in the situation. Anything to ease the pain of having to sit here and pay hundreds of Euros for every half thought out decision that gets passed down the line. :(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The only way to get it changed is...
    Ballot%20vote_color.jpg
    but even then the opposition have to want to do it - which they don't!

You're not wrong.

Of course there are several other not-so-legal options to get around not paying the difference between the emisisons based and capacity based rates, but they all involve not getting caught! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You're not wrong.

Of course there are several other not-so-legal options to get around not paying the difference between the emisisons based and capacity based rates, but they all involve not getting caught! :rolleyes:
    If you can't afford your road tax then buy a car with lower rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Just to let you know:-
    Sent a letter to Minister Gormley last year,asking him why he wasnt introducing Co2 based road tax on pre-08 imported cars,as he had promised in the green budget.
    He said that when they went through the numbers (afterwards of course!!) the local governments ( i.e Dublin County Councils etc) would loose too much yearly revenue.
    So thats your answer, I dont see that changing until they introduce a carbon levy crap in a few years.

kbannon wrote: »
    By the way, we don't have road tax - we have motor tax!

I never +1 things, but +1 to that.

Anan1 wrote: »
    If you can't afford your road tax then buy a car with lower rates.

Thanks for the tip! Fortunately things aren't that bad yet. I just don't like throwing a few hundred Euro into a "black hole" every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭omega man

The problem for me is that if a 'green' system was imposed on all cars the people who bought large petrol engined cars for example would be penalised even though they purchased them under a clearly defined tax system. It works both ways.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip! Fortunately things aren't that bad yet. I just don't like throwing a few hundred Euro into a "black hole" every year.
    Think of the hospitals, schools etc.;)

@omega man: I know, I'm actually caught on both fronts. High emissions petrols & low-ish emissions diesel.

@Anan1: I do think of them regularly - the GF is a teacher.

Advertisement