Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pyramid shape structure in Merrion Square

Options
  • 20-01-2009 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

What's it about? Every day I walk past it on the way to work. Just in Merrion Square, it's a Pyramid shape structure, with a little fire in the centre of it and some figures with guns standing over the fire.

I've looked around it for a plaque or anything explaining what it represents or what significance it has but couldn't see anything. So can anyone explain this one to me?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It's for fallen Irish soldiers. You'll notice how there are different uniforms on each soldies. They represent the different uniforms worn over the period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Like a lot of new stuff in Dublin it really blends in well with its surroundings :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

A memorial has been unveiled in Dublin in memory of the men and women who lost their lives in service to the state.

The national monument is in Merrion Square Park and was dedicated to service men and women during a special ceremony earlier today.

The Taoiseach Brian Cowen attended the event along with the President Mary McAleese, who laid a wreath at the foot of the monument.

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/memorial-unveiled-in-merrion-square-1529796.html

there are different uniforms reperesenting each branch of the military i believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Speaking as a soldier and only for myself...

I'm VERY disappointed that this THING is the best we can offer up to our fallen.

I visit the Garden of Rememberance often, and like the OP I pass this every day, and NOTHING about it tells me to go in and remember the lads I've known and served with who have died.

Such a bad, sad effort - but its only my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Have you seen the new exhibition in Collins Barracks Mairt ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Agree it's a nasty piece of work. Very insipid. A few things get me about it: The choice of stone is far too bright for its surrounds. It makes it look completely out of place and has a very cheap glare off of it. The workmanship on the surrounding apron of stones is poor. The design is gimmicky and already outdated, it looks like something off a Merillion album cover and also on the design; the use of glass such a way is hard to maintain and keep clean therefore in no short time it looks grubby.

Nasty cheapening piece of tat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Have you seen the new exhibition in Collins Barracks Mairt ?

I haven't been into Collins Bks since it closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

are there any photos knocking about of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

are there any photos knocking about of it?

I have a few I took on my old mobile. I'll see if I can find them. The condition of the memorial was an absolute disgrace when I took them. There was a seal broken between 2 panes of glass and people had obviously decided to use it as a rubbish bin. There were cigarette buts, snot rags, and assorted crap INSIDE the memorial. It made me angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

Leeby wrote: »
    What's it about? Every day I walk past it on the way to work. Just in Merrion Square, it's a Pyramid shape structure, with a little fire in the centre of it and some figures with guns standing over the fire.

I've looked around it for a plaque or anything explaining what it represents or what significance it has but couldn't see anything. So can anyone explain this one to me?

Its occult symbolism, from the freemasons, same symbolism used all over the world. Have you also seen in merrion square a chair to dermot morgan, this also has a symbol of the all seeing eye on it, and theres a statue of oscar wilde a freemason and member of golden dawn, also a member of the latter was alastair crowley a most horrible satanist. just google any of what i said.

occult-dollar_pyramid.gifpyramid9.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Freemasons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Mairt wrote: »
    I haven't been into Collins Bks since it closed.

*nods*
    That's understandable my Dad's the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

uprising wrote: »
    Its occult symbolism, from the freemasons, same symbolism used all over the world. Have you also seen in merrion square a chair to dermot morgan, this also has a symbol of the all seeing eye on it, and theres a statue of oscar wilde a freemason and member of golden dawn, also a member of the latter was alastair crowley a most horrible satanist. just google any of what i said.
    FFS. Not every pyramid structure / eye / statue of famous person is connected with the occult, or the freemasons, or the NWO, or the Illuminati.

EVEN if you do believe that stuff - you do your "cause" a great disservice by jumping on every possible design or structure that bares the slightest resemblance to the mystical evil symbols your looking for.

Do yourself a favour and read up on some Robert Anton Wilson. "What the thinker thinks, the prover proves". You HAVE to be aware that if you look for occult symbolisim on every corner, you will find it - and that doesn't by any stretch make it "true". Objectivity is key.

There's 1001 reasons why a pyramid structure might be chosen. Same goes for using an eye as a logo or symbol (we've all got a couple and, insofar as body parts go, they're pretty ****ing neat). And a statue of one of our most lauded writers in our capital city? Shocking stuff indeed.

Advertisement