Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

120 film query

• 20-01-2009 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

does anyone know how readily availible Medium format (120) film is, and how much it costs to develop?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Very readily availible, depending on where you're based, it's usually in or around a fiver a roll to buy, and about 4 quid to dev only :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

I get a lot of my 120 film in Gunns, Wexford Street, Dublin. They always have a good selection. Other films I get online from places like www.macodirect.de, www.silverprint.co.uk, www.retrophotographic.com,
    www.freestylephoto.biz and www.7dayshop.com

Don't know about developing cost as I do my own. Pretty cheap that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

Hmmm only 4eur for dev?

I've 10 rolls to get dev from my Bronica I got this year... Must get around to doing them.
    I got quoted 10eur per roll from a shop in Drogheda. Must take a spin into Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

bmcgrath wrote: »
    Hmmm only 4eur for dev?

I've 10 rolls to get dev from my Bronica I got this year... Must get around to doing them.
    I got quoted 10eur per roll from a shop in Drogheda. Must take a spin into Dublin

I'm sure Gunn's would accommodate you by post:

John Gunn Camera Shop, 16 Wexford Street, Dublin 2, 01 4781226

PS BW only though I think

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I'd ring Gunn's 1st as 4quid sounds very cheap. I get my colours developed there (1hr) and 36mm with cd costs me 14quid and that's with a nod and a wink. I process 120mm my own too but wouldn't bother if that is the case. I'll be in there tomorrow and ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Well, from my last roll of 120 I dev'd in there it was about four quid.

I've been back in the darkroom since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

It's unusual for Conn's to be cheaper, but I got a roll of 120 developed for 3.60 there last week.

Janey maybe your right about price. The last time I had 120 developed in a store was about 18month ago in Tel Aviv and Haifa and it was about 12 quid (thereabouts) each time and they were independent stores.

Negatives only? Dev with prints is about 15 euro in Gunn's (dunno about elsewhere). I couldn't stomach it every time for only 12 exposures so I bought a negative scanner. Should pay for itself pretty quickly.

I was including prints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

Negatives only? Dev with prints is about 15 euro in Gunn's (dunno about elsewhere). I couldn't stomach it every time for only 12 exposures so I bought a negative scanner. Should pay for itself pretty quickly.

sorry to hijack ... What type of negative scanner may I ask and what kind of results are you getting, I am thinking of going this way too. how long does it take to scan a roll approx?

As for 120 film just got delivery of 30 rolls of early expiration (april 09) neopan 400 from 7dayshop posted to a mate from NI for free who works here in Dublin . Worked out at €1.65 a roll! Develop at home, it's cheaper and more fun.

Gunns is best value in town though ..in my experience.

Simplicius

Defying gravity since 1878

I got an Epson 4490 for 145 euro on dabs.ie. I think it's pretty good for the money, it has Digital Ice software for dust/scratch removal, which seem to work as long as the dust etc isn't too big. An 800 dpi 120 format scan with dust removal takes about 3 mins, so it can be tedious to the whole roll, althogh it can scan up to 3 medium format or 12 35mm negs at a time.

I haven't really tried higher resolutions suitable for printing. I did a 3200 dpi scan the other day which produced a 370mb TIFF which almost killed my laptop :P

Few examples on my Flickr. I'm not sure about the colours from colour negative scans, don't seem as nice as prints though that may be a matter of tweaking the software settings. Slides and B&W come out great.

This is the only colour neg scan on my flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/prontomonto/3182296739/
    It's not that high res, or high quality (Holga), but you get the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

Pretty nice quality for lower resolution ! nice photostream too, thanks I think you convinced me to invest .
    I got an Epson 4490 for 145 euro on dabs.ie. I think it's pretty good for the money, it has Digital Ice software for dust/scratch removal, which seem to work as long as the dust etc isn't too big. An 800 dpi 120 format scan with dust removal takes about 3 mins, so it can be tedious to the whole roll, althogh it can scan up to 3 medium format or 12 35mm negs at a time.

I haven't really tried higher resolutions suitable for printing. I did a 3200 dpi scan the other day which produced a 370mb TIFF which almost killed my laptop :P

Few examples on my Flickr. I'm not sure about the colours from colour negative scans, don't seem as nice as prints though that may be a matter of tweaking the software settings. Slides and B&W come out great.

This is the only colour neg scan on my flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/prontomonto/3182296739/
    It's not that high res, or high quality (Holga), but you get the idea.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I've always been told never to use ice that it ruins the image? And anything over 300, alot of editors struggle with?

Never heard that about digital ice. Haven't experimented too much but it does seem to result in a very slightly softer image, and increases scanning time, so maybe avoid it if your negs are in good condition?

Do you mean 300mb or 300dpi? I used lightroom, and it seems to have problems with high resolution, rather than large file sizes, i.e. a 10,000 pixels wide image will give it trouble whether it's a tiff or a low quality jpeg. Maybe something to do with the resizing it does so that changes are applied quickly to just a small preview image?

OP it's 4.75 for dev. only and 15 balloons with a disc and a further 15 for prints. Prices as of lunchtime today.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭darraghsherwin

I buy most of my 120 from 7dayshop, usually costs around €2 per roll and I use Photocare on Abbey Street as they do E-6 (slide). Dev only costs €6.50 per roll in Photocare and they sell 120 (Neopan, Arcos, Provia and Velvia 100F) in boxes of 6 for €30.

Photocare is expensive but it's only them and Repro that do E-6 processing as far as I know.
    I'm keeping my eye out eBay for a cheap automatic processor (~€200) to do my own processing at home

BTW, anybody used Fuji 64T for nighttime work? I want to shoot a few rolls of it but very hard to find anybody who has an experiences with especially in 120 format

Darragh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

humberklog wrote: »
    OP it's 4.75 for dev. only and 15 balloons with a disc and a further 15 for prints. Prices as of lunchtime today.

Are these the prices in Gunns?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭darraghsherwin

humberklog wrote: »

4.75 for B+W only?? Or is that for C41 and E-6 as well?

Thanks
    Darragh

Advertisement