Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great British Food Fight

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

olaola wrote: »
    http://www.channel4.com/food/on-tv/the-big-food-fight/get-ready-for-the-great-british-food-fight-08-12-11_p_1.html

Looking forward to this - started watching 'Big Chef takes on Little Chef' last night. Anyone else interested?
    Saw it last night .. what a joke. If I was trying to find a "celebrity" chef to turn around a chain like Little Chef, then I think that possibly the very, very last person on my list would be Heston Bumenthal. I mean, seriously, what did they expect? Someone with a more realistic take on matching the type of food to their target market such as Gordon Ramsey would have been my choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

If I was trying to find a "celebrity" chef to turn around a chain like Little Chef, then I think that possibly the very, very last person on my list would be Heston Bumenthal.

Wasnt that why they chose him? The LC CEO said that they chose him because of his imagination and "blue sky thinking" - actually, he said that phrase so many times it was cringeworthy.

I can see the logic of batting off field for Heston. Gordon might plaster over the cracks and have them looking beautiful, but this is a whole chain of 200 odd restaurants that need overhauling.

I wonder why they wont go back to thier old menus and just cook the food properly? The perfect fry is manna and even that point alone could pull them out from the doldrums if they were to incorporate it as past of the rescue menu. There are all the usual obstacles there of disheartened staff and lack of equipment, no imagination being allowed on the part of the chef/cook and minimum wage with very few tips. Poor ingredients and old equipment and furnishings make it a very depressing placee to work.

My choicec would have been Gary Rhodes. He knows British cooking inside out adn is techinacally perfect.

It going to be interesting tonight. At first I thought the CEO was hindering him but later its obvious that he and H are on 2 different planets. Youve got to hand it to the old guy for being brave enough to take HB on as the choice and aside from annoying reapeated catchphrases and his childness when tasting HBs food, you can see where hes coming from. He really had to struggle to get his point of view - ie Little Chefs point of view - across to HB.

But it is his job to represent LC and aside from being a bit of a p***k, he is getting the company message across. I cant wait to see it tonight. Its teh concluding part?

I'm not sure. Gordon has demonstrated in his Kitchen Nightmare series that he can put aside the whole Michelin star thing and look critically at what exactly the target market was for a restaurant he was rescuing, and wasn't afraid to really simplify over-complicated menus that were just not a fit for the target demographic.

I mean, Heston must be living in la-la land if he seriously expects Little Chef to roll out dishes containing ingredients like oysters, lamb's tongues or lapsang souchong smoked salmon to a chain of god knows how many hundred restaurants. I know he was struggling to get target profit margin figures from the LC boss, but using ingredients like that was being both extremely naive, and extremely optimistic at the same time IMO. Still, maybe that's what makes "good television".

I agree though that they should just effectively revert back to doing the basic dishes they used to do in the past, the fries, burgers and mixed grills, but just do them properly from scratch using fresh ingredients rather than using all pre-packed, pre-prepared crap. Personally I still reckon a realist like Gordon would have been the ideal person to get something like that off the ground, not a technical guy like Heston, or Gary Rhodes either for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I got the feeling that Heston wants to bring it back to the old dishes, but is expected from that very odd CEO guy to bring in something weird and wonderful. I really don't get where the CEO is coming from, but I can kinda get where Heston was going with the scrambled eggs - in so far as the quality of the bagged eggs was far higher. And the hot-pot (without oysters) would be a good option.

LC have very limited resources so I think Heston could be very valuable here to think outside of the box in relation to getting good quality old style dishes on the tables using what they have in the kitchens.

I think it's a three part series?

Hhmm. I thought Gary was a good compromise there. Hes got the eye for simplicity that is necessary here. His people skills arent as sensationlist as Gordons which is a good thing when you are converting 200 restaurants instead of one at a time. HAving said that, yes, GR is a genius adn I have no doubt in my mind that he would do a fantastic job.

Ultimatley, all three of them would do a great job, just employ different methods. I mean for example the scrambled eggs senario. HB = sous vide and bain marie (and Id like to see the state of it after a month in those kitchens) where as Gordon would be " FFS! Buy a f***G saucepan!" Eggs..in...milk...in... :)
    I mean, Heston must be living in la-la land if he seriously expects Little Chef to roll out dishes containing ingredients like oysters or lapsang souchong smoked salmon to a chain of god knows how many hundred restaurants. I know he was struggling to get target profit margin figures from the LC boss, but using ingredients like that was being both extremely naive, and extremely optimistic at the same time IMO.

I thought the sorbet was quaintly mad and very typical of HB. But the child looked scared! All the poor little fecker wanted was a bowl of ice cream :D

Still, maybe that's what makes "good television".

As GR would say "Nail...head....hammer"

Agreed. This is priceless publicity.

Gordon is just so gifted I think, that he doesnt look as though hes making an effort technically. It just happens. Its like when I hit the ball with the driver, sometimes theres that smack when it connects perfectly and Im thrilled. But I watch a seasoned golfer and it nearly seems effortless. Thats Gordon. Hits it perfectly every time.

DO you think HB will succeed?

• Advertisement

Deepsense wrote: »
    I thought the sorbet was quaintly mad and very typical of HB. But the child looked scared! All the poor little fecker wanted was a bowl of ice cream :D

That was hilarious - I thought he was going to crap his pants!

That was hilarious - I thought he was going to crap his pants!

Oh youre cruel!

Yes - and it demonstrated perfectly the dichotomy of the two schools of though running on the project.

Do you think HB will succeed?
    I'm sure he did, Ch4 wouldn't have shown the program if he hadn't I'm sure.

It's just inherent to the whole format of such programs that you have to have a dramatic failure or two, a few fallings out and possibly a big fight / screaming match and then magically at the last minute everything all works out wonderfully, and the hero is vindicated at last.

There's something in it (financially and reputation / advertising wise) for both parties of course, that's a good chunk of the reasons such programs are made at all.

Im alone in a thread with a cruel heart and a cynical mind! If this were a film, Id seperate to explore the spooky corridor.
    I'm sure he did, Ch4 wouldn't have shown the program if he hadn't I'm sure.

Maybe. Im sure there would be a clause in the contract that would prevent it though...or at least partially. either that or HB has some culinary liathrodi. If you had the best restaurant in the world (ok...give or take a few) would you not want something in there to protect you if it all went belly up? Pardon the pun :rolleyes:

It seemed much more businesss and constulancy based that the GR fix its that are based on the passion of an individual owner and the team who actually give a crap about their jobs...or dont, whichever the case may be. But GR is basically brought in as a consultant too. I think he just knows how to work it better through having more experience.
    It's just inherent to the whole format of such programs that you have to have a dramatic failure or two, a few fallings out and possibly a big fight / screaming match and then magically at the last minute everything all works out wonderfully, and the hero is vindicated at last.

Yep. No arguing thre. But I watch it as entertainment, which is its function for me.

There's something in it (financially and reputation / advertising wise) for both parties of course, that's a good chunk of the reasons such programs are made at all

Yes. But it could be worse. Look at Fair City :D

• Advertisement

See, told you I was right :D

I like this bit ...
    It was like getting Stockhausen to refigure the Radio One playlist or Strindberg to rethink Teletubbies. Actually, no comparison is as absurd as this cynical category error.

He basically calls HB a nutter but its ok cos hes a talented nutter. I do wonder though - having never been to TFD in Bray (everyone always says "in Bray" when they say TFD, have you noticed that?) so can not really comment in a knowledgeable way - but I ask, will HBs food be as popular in 20 years time or will it be as passe as nouvelle cuisine ...or even worse...relegated to the wardrobe of the Emporors new clothes? I hate snails and I have a thread in fitness looking for palatable ways to eat porridge as I HATE the disgusting gloopy tasteless gag soup and throwing snails in there makes me want to throw up even thinikng about it. So how someone thought this could possibly be a good idea is beyond the comprehension of my palate (and stomach)

Ok - so far

Mini breakfast
    Big breakfast
    Monster breakfast

Decent coffee

Mixed grill
    Lamb chops
    Steak
    Chicken Kiev
    Ceasar salad
    Lanchasire Hot Pot
    Fish cakes

Ice cream & jelly - also a whirly cone machine for thos in a hurry
    Apple pie
    Sticky toffee pudding
    Choclate cake
    Right - start adding!

Ok - all very basic but defo things that should be there. Although maybe chicken Kiev can be swopped and so can a few others.

Anything else? Id like to see how our paltry skills - sorry, MY paltry skills - fare out next to HBs.

THisnk of it as fantasy football without the football :)

Good start there ... I'd also like to see proper nice thick home made burgers on the menu, not 3mm thick frozen ones made from reconstitued cow's udder. Also proper fish and chips.

All simple stuff, but just what the doctor ordered when it's done properly. I wonder though how many of the 'chefs' who work there would be up to cooking those kinds of dishes more or less from scratch.

Porridge & Cereal
    Regular brekkie
    Monster breakfast
    Breakfast options (so you could just order the likes of two rashers & two toast)

Soup
    Decent sambos - deli style
    Mixed grill
    Lamb chops
    Rotisserie Chicken with mash
    Lanchasire Hot Pot
    Fish & Chips
    Chicken or beef Burger

Apple pie
    Sticky toffee pudding
    Choclate cake

Maybe c +p the menu when you add on to it so we can see what it looks like standing all togeather?

Mini breakfast
    Big breakfast
    Monster breakfast
    Waffles/pancakes
    Porridge (:()

Decent coffee

Mixed grill
    Lamb chops
    Steak
    Chicken Kiev
    Ceasar salad
    Lanchasire Hot Pot
    Fish cakes
    Fish of the day & chips
    Beef burgers/pork burgers (too gimmiky?)
    Rotisserie Chicken with mash

Apple pie
    Sticky toffee pudding
    Choclate cake

The skills required are very basic training. Nothing that an exc chef and training managers cant manage to roll out with results. The watchpoints for me would be that the mash be mouli-ed as standard and that can be a selling point. Smoothest mash in Britan or whatever. Handmade chips on that scale woould prob cost too much to produce I think. Its alot of work for one person to produce chips for say 200 + people a day. Meat being cooked correctly and consistency being employed as a priority.

A chef manager with the proper back up is probably the way I would take each restaurant to start with anyway until trade gets busier. I wonder what sort of transfer rate they will have when they roll out the new menu. I know the new menu is being discussed online on teh C4 forums somewherer but I cant search for it in work. If one of you could rummage it out please, Id appreciate it.

So its a 3 parter. Hmm. I wonder what will happen tonight. I saw he walks out yesterday. Ill be on tenderhooks again!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

There was a very, very positive review of the revamped Little Chef in the Sunday Times Style section. Food was excellent apparently and the staff seem really happy and friendly.

Im glad to hear it. :)

Its on again now. Im impressed, HB said straight out he made a peg of it.

Aghhh! 3 mins in and Blue Sky is being said again!:pac:

I think last nights show really revealed where everyone was coming from. I think Heston is on the right track - but CEO dude is 'blue sky' land.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Enjoying this show.
    HB is obviously an amazing cook but very technical and a strange choice to revamp Little chef. I had the misfortune of eating in one and it was dire.
    I think last nights show was great and he compromised his culinary beliefs to work with the CEO (who is a bit of a knob lets be honest)
    Fair play to the woman they chose to make the breakfast, 55 years of age , working there 30 years, up at 6 each morning etc.
    Glad she decided to finish what she started.
    Breakfast did look tasty...
    I thought it was shocking that people working there couldnt even cook a fish properly.
    Shocking.

Well that all (rather predictably:rolleyes:) worked out well in the end, didn't it? Now that I look back on it, it all smacks of a paid publicity campaign for LC and HB (not that he needs it!) and little else really. (Yes, I am a bitter old cynic!)

• Advertisement

Personally I think HB comes across as a decent honest type of a chap. I think the publicity-grabbing was more on the LC side of the house. At the end of the day - it was made for the food fight season, so it wasn't a separate endeavour on their part. I do think HB put a LOT of effort into it, and had to sacrifice some of his staff during the project. I'd say it was a hard slog! The end result was very polished, Jaesus - I'd nearly detour to go there myself!

I havent had a chance to get back to this thread since.

I saw the 2nd part whilst chatting to someone so it was a distracted viewing. So...the fry is sorted. Good stuff. THe first few mins were the ones I saw properly and it didnt appear to contain very much more.

I missed the 3rd part. :(

Whos on next week?

Advertisement