Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a new gfx card - advice requested

Options
  • 20-01-2009 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

At present I have an XFX GeForce 9600GT. Its not a bad card, but unfortunately it has a bug that doesn't like CoH/CoV and WAR, leading to blackscreen 'no signal' crashes. Having got thoroughly fed up with these goings on, I've decided a new card is in order.

I'm thinking one of these two, the Radeon HD 4870 or the GeForce GTX 260.

Does anyone have one of these, or heard particularly good / bad things about either of them? As the above two games are pretty much all I play at present, performance (or lack thereof) around those two are my main concern.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What size monitor? If its 20" or under I'd go with a 512mb 4870, if its 22"+ I'd go for a GTX260 ideally, or the 1GB 4870 if it is significantly cheaper, as it often is lately, as the two cards are fairly close in performance until you hit very high resolutions.

Also, the 9600GT is a fine card and if you are experiencing problems with COH and WAR, they are inherently linked to that model card. Have you tried newer/different drivers? Is the machine still running when the message appears or does it restart entirely? The card itself could also be faulty. You might want to investigate your current card a bit more before buying a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

I've put on at least 3 sets of official drivers since the problem first occurred. It hasn't happened in any of the other games I play, or in normal PC use.

There doesn't seem to be any particular trigger I've been able to find .. it's not graphic load, as it has happened when I'm standing around a quiet area doing nothing, nor does it seem time dependent. I have played all day and not had a problem, another time I got the black screen 3 times within a total of maybe 5 minutes game play.

The machine doesn't reboot, but it does freeze up to the point I need to reboot it in order to do anything else. Monitor goes black, with the 'no signal' message displayed, music playing goes into a loop, ctrl-alt-del doesn't have any effect .. reboot time.

If you do a search for 9600GT no signal you'll see people having the exact same issue, going back at least a year, reported on a variety of different forums, including nVidia's.

Advertisement