Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to try get one back on the Government

Options
  • 20-01-2009 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Mods don't know if this is in the right place, So please feel free to move it.

Online petition to rid the nation of one stealth tax, interested?? then read on.........

In November 2008, the Irish Government announced the introduction of a new levy on health insurance with effect from the 1 st January 2009. The levy will amount to €160 per adult and €53 per child resulting in a consequent increase in health insurance premiums across the board costing health insurance customers dearly.

What does this mean to you and how can you help?
    We urge you to play your part in removing the levy from the cost of your health insurance by asking you to sign the online petition and show your support at www.axethelevy.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

I have created a Group on Facebook to help promote this also called 'Axe The Levy', & sent invites out to all friends, as well as asking people to get their friends to promote it & send it to people they know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Dirty ****ers in the government.I was 120 euro lighter this month because of budget changes:(

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Why this tax and not any others ? I don't have health insurance

Arathorn wrote: »
    Why this tax and not any others ? I don't have health insurance

Alot of people do & this one has some traction to it by virtue of hibernian aviva backing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

I changed my plan from essential plus (excess) to essential starter - the only difference is I'm not covered for Mater private nor am I covered for Mount carmel if I get pregnant - highly unlikely as I'm a male!:D

Saving was about €120

Excess amounts are the same as is virtually everything else in the plan. - If the levy was not introduced everyone over 50 would have had 100% + increases whilst younger people would have only had 10% - 15% increases. (Medical inflation is at 12%)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Most posters here were in favour of risk equalisation when it was to be imposed on Bupa, and hence the customer. The levy was invisible, but still there.

the situation is, this money is used to subsidise the healthcare costs for those who are older etc, rather than the old and sick paying more, for being in a higher risk catagory. This hasnt changed.

So i would ask if anyone signing was in favour of risk equalisation. If so, why the change of mind?

Bloody hypocrisy if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

ven0m wrote: »
    I have created a Group on Facebook to help promote this also called 'Axe The Levy', & sent invites out to all friends, as well as asking people to get their friends to promote it & send it to people they know.

LOL - because a facebook group and an online petition will change things :rolleyes: Utterly pointless waste of time.

If it bothers you that much why don't you organise a protest? If the pensioners could do it, so can the rest of us.

eth0_ wrote: »
    LOL - because a facebook group and an online petition will change things :rolleyes: Utterly pointless waste of time.

If it bothers you that much why don't you organise a protest? If the pensioners could do it, so can the rest of us.

I am trying to do something & everything starts small. Obama's campaign started small on the internet ......

It is mentalitys like yours that never get anything done or changed, because everything is considered too big, & everything to try to do something is 'too small'. for your information, I've already personally had 60 or so people sign up on it today. I've had those people & people from my facebook & bebo lists also sign it, & try pass it around too.

So now tell me it's pointless. Either you're part of s solution or part of a problem, fence sitters need stay home & stfu.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Please dion't compare Obama's campaign against a facebook group and some on-line petition that will get you no where they are nothing alike, if you want something done then get actual written signatures....go out of the streets and make people aware...you'll notice Obama did this too :D

Also its not your place to tell people to "stay home & stfu", if you have a problem with a post report it and let a mod decided anything else may be classed as personal abuse.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Please dion't compare Obama's campaign against a facebook group and some on-line petition that will get you no where they are nothing alike, if you want something done then get actual written signatures....go out of the streets and make people aware...you'll notice Obama did this too :D

Also its not your place to tell people to "stay home & stfu", if you have a problem with a post report it and let a mod decided anything else may be classed as personal abuse.

it wasn't a problem with a post, it was a generalisation & the atypical attitude of indifference that seems to exist. People who choose to sit on the fence & do nothing when something is clearly wrong are as bad as those committing said wrong.

I am fully aware of what is needed (and that Obama had to put feet on the street with people), & neither of you have asked 'are you going to do this?' The answer is yes, I am going to try do something like this to coincide with the local elections coming up soon to make sure politicians are asked these questions repeatedly by Irish people, but it costs money - which I am going to dig from my own pocket to try achieve or try start from my own pocket at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I'm nearly 26, never been in an accident, have a no claims bonus and full Irish driving license and I pay over 1,200 per year for fully comp Car Insurance.

My ex-girlfriend was in an accident, doesn't have no claims, foreign driving license and she was paying 800 per year (up 200 after the accident).

I go to the gym 5 days per week, twice per day.
    I eat healthy, have quit smoking and I don't drink.

Why am I expected to subsidise other people's health insurance when nobody is subsidising my car insurance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Dannyboy83 wrote: »

I go to the gym 5 days per week, twice per day.

Unless you're going in to read the paper,you wont be healthy for long with that level of gymming!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

ven0m wrote: »
    it wasn't a problem with a post, it was a generalisation & the atypical attitude of indifference that seems to exist. People who choose to sit on the fence & do nothing when something is clearly wrong are as bad as those committing said wrong.

I'm not a fence sitter. I don't even live in Ireland so there's zilch I can do about it.

You're the one who is organising an irrelevent facebook group and online petition that NO ONE in govt will take seriously.

Why don't you organise a protest outside the Dail? Do you have a "do nothing significant" attitude?

eth0_ wrote: »
    I'm not a fence sitter. I don't even live in Ireland so there's zilch I can do about it.

You're the one who is organising an irrelevent facebook group and online petition that NO ONE in govt will take seriously.

Why don't you organise a protest outside the Dail? Do you have a "do nothing significant" attitude?

really, I didn't organise that petition wiseass, Hibernian Aviva did - or are you so far up on your highhorse that your eyesight has been affected ..... :cool:

Oh, and if you read the FULL post you've quoted, you'd see I am intending to go further, & will have to fund it from my own pocket. Organising a protest has to start somewhere, & somehow. They don't magically appear, & most start from an idea, & a smaller gathering of people, which then can try attract others. The senior citizens who protested outside the Dail didn;t all just telepathically agree to turn up. It started as an idea from some form of social networking (whether old school, or using newer techology).

At least I'm trying to do something, when's the last time you did something other than be snide hiding behind a moderator's tag on a messageboard at someone TRYING to do something to try make a change in the world & the country they live in?

And, yes, you're in Edinburgh, in the land where copper wire was invented by two scots fighting over a penny.......

EDIT: and just to clarify, I'm not being snotty, rude, or angry with your posts, I'm actually laughing AT you, & will continue to laugh when people like you are sitting there with more money in their pockets because people went out of their way to make a change, or when that happens will you be one of those flately refusing to pay the lower amounts for goods, & insistent on paying the higher prices ;-)

ROLFCopter

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Maybe I'm old and cynical but I'm always wary when a particular company throws its weight behind a camapaign to cancel something.

I think back at Tesco campaiging with that fool Hobbs to get the Groceries Order repealed and for whose benefit ?

I also think back of Hibernian and the Irish Insurance industry generally fleecing the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Parsi are you suggesting they might be trying to shoehorne themselves in as the good guys?:D Surely they are only doing this for the good of mankind.

Or maybe they are just offsetting the bad Karma from the "we're shipping hundreds of jobs overseas" story from a while back. (this one can also function as a nice add on to the first point)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

You're right !

It must be for the benefit of mankind.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Well vEnom maybe you took it on board because I saw people with clipboards today in Cork asking for people to sign the levy. Was it you?;)

I think people miss the point of this campaign. BUPA entered Irish market and brought real competition to the health insurance market and brought prices down. When Risk Equalisation came in, BUPA moved out, Quiin and VIVAS took over and competition continued. Quinn won action and Harney brought in health levy in the back door and Hibernian Aviva have now taken the baton. I thought Quinn might join in also. Health Insurance will become more elitist every year as regular people who are trying their best for their families are priced out of the market putting further strains on hospital queues. I welcome the community rating in the health insurance market in Ireland in general but this levy is just another name for a subsidy for VHI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Degsy wrote: »
    Unless you're going in to read the paper,you wont be healthy for long with that level of gymming!

1 hour cardio in the morning from 7am to 8am
    1 hour weightlifting in the evening.
    I was told I am in excellent health last time I was at a doctors (its been a while admittedly:rolleyes:)

The question remains, why should I be expected to subsidise other people's health insurance when nobody ever subsidised my car insurance and nobody is subsidising my health insurance or my girlfriends?

I'm sure Comrades Lenin & Stalin must be looking down on the Dail and smiling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    1 hour cardio in the morning from 7am to 8am
    1 hour weightlifting in the evening.
    I was told I am in excellent health last time I was at a doctors (its been a while admittedly:rolleyes:)

The question remains, why should I be expected to subsidise other people's health insurance when nobody ever subsidised my car insurance and nobody is subsidising my health insurance or my girlfriends?

I'm sure Comrades Lenin & Stalin must be looking down on the Dail and smiling.

You can choose a plan with less benefits and not include the private hospitals as you're less likely to go to hospital anyway, so why pay for the option of mater private. Also if you are nice & healthy, you won't need the plan to give you money back on GP visits etc, & if you're a male, you won't need the plan with Mt Carmel maternity cover.

Basically this new system is fairer for you as you an choose a basic plan "just in case" of major treatment being required (you'll get this for about €330) and then as you get older, you can upgrade your plan to match your changing health outlook. (cost is about €750).

If you 26 and healthy with a healthy lifestyle you only need the basic plan, if your 66 and have some problems the better plan gives you better value.

• Advertisement
Advertisement