Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

18-200 lens - a compromise?

• 20-01-2009 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

Hi

I have the Nikon 18-55 kit lens, and a Nikon 55-200 VR zoom. I was doing a little working out last night, and discovered that I could sell both on adverts.ie / ebay, and use the money towards a Sigma 18-200, without having to break the bank to cover the extra. I *think* I could get around €200-250 for my lenses, then buy a Sigma for around €350 (or €500 for the Nikon).

Obviously the benefits of this all in one lens are huge, but are there any major drawbacks (other than, I assume, weight)? Will it work as well at wide or zoom as the individual lenses would?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

is the sigma the OS version?
    you'll really miss the VR function of your 55-200 VR if it's not

and a 200 estimate for your lenses seems a bit high to me

what's wrong with the lenses you have? you will be having less optical quality with the 18-200 than you have now
    I know... you won't have to change lenses, but that's a little price to pay in my opinion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

For a general walk around lens then the 18-200mm Sigma is your man.

On holidays etc. you don't want to be carrying around extra kenses when one will do the job. Obviously it won't be as good as primes or smaller zooms but to be fair, how many people are actually gonna notice when they look at your pics??

I have the Sigma 18-125 OS version as my walk around and I wouldn't swap it for the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

quilmore wrote: »
    is the sigma the OS version?
    you'll really miss the VR function of your 55-200 VR if it's not

and a 200 estimate for your lenses seems a bit high to me

what's wrong with the lenses you have? you will be having less optical quality with the 18-200 than you have now
    I know... you won't have to change lenses, but that's a little price to pay in my opinion

Really? That's what I wasn't sure of, basically.

I'm very happy with my current lenses' functionality, but having to switch them over (and carry the spare) can be a pain, especially when shooting in a city. If the 18-200 would have restricted quality, however, then having to change the lenses is probably the lesser of two evils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

I dunno about the sigma but I just saw a review of a tamron 18 270mm on one of my favourite blogs. Prolly not as easily available as the sigma mind you.

If you don't care about shallow depth of field and value not having to change your lens at all, this might be an option for you. Everyone's going to point out, quite rightly, that these mega zooms are never going to match primes or shorter zooms in pixel peeping quality but only you can decide if the convenience makes that a non-point in your own estimation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The Nikon 18-200 VR lens is very good for general use. Being such a wide range you expect compromises, but they are less than you would expect. It is not too heavy & does well as a Jack of all Trades. It's the lens that's on my D300 the most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭zdooldreb

I only recently bought the 18-200mm VR Nikon lens and im very happy with it. It offers great flexibilty and avoids having to change lenses which can be a pain. I think the quality is very good but maybe if you are a pro you might spot some problems. Weight wise I dont notice that big of a difference between itself and the 18-55 kit lens. Having said that though when you hold it in your hand you know the build quality is better. Regarding the sigma, I have heard that the quality is not as good and has a problem with zoom creep. Thats why I decided to spend a little extra and get the Nikon. I got the lens and a remote release off warehouseexpress for 486 euro. They were out of stock when I ordered so it took about 2 weeks in total (it was just before xmas though).

Advertisement