Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest/Easiest external solution for internal dvd drive

Options
  • 20-01-2009 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭

Hi all, bit of a specific query here. I need to buy a samsung SH-D162C or D dvd drive as it's the only drive that can read a certain type of disk. I've found them for about 20-25 euro either in their internal sata form, or their internal ide form. However, i need to use one of these externally with my laptop which has usb and some kind of vacant ide express card slot or something. I found a guy on ebay who does them pre-installed in usb caddies, but they're about 35 quid more if i do it that way, which i reckon is a bit of a fleecing. Whats the cheapest/easiest way for me to just buy the drive and make it externally compatible? it doesnt necessarily have to look pretty or anything, as i'd only be using it seldomly. is there a converter kit or something i can get? It's a 5.2" drive,a nd it seems most kits and cheap caddies are only for smaller dvd drives. Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisement