Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3yr old "flaps" his arms when excited

Options
  • 20-01-2009 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭

My 3yr old boy has a habit in that when he gets excited (usually while watching something on TV but could be while doing anything), he flaps from the elbows to his fingers. I mean really fast, he could almost take off!

This happens a number of times per day and is very very cute. However is it something I should be concerned about? He has started playschool and most of the kids are too young to notice but sooner or later some smart alec kid will and might start slagging him.

I think he'll grow out of it in time. But I should I try stop this habit? Or is that worse?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

He'll either stop doing it himself when he joins playschool (as the other kids won't be doing it), or the entire class will take off copying the new kid.

Either way, don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,385 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I'd say it's quite alarming, but I reckon you should post it on youtube as I'm sure it's pretty cute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Wait and see if he grows out of it if you are concerned about it speak to your dr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Make some wings and see if he'll take off:D

Chances are he'll just grow out of it by the time hes going to school, if it does become an issue then just encourage him to just tone it down a bit. Hes probably just doing it without even realising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭sassa

I wouldn't worry about it it's probably just a phase. My eldest daughter is also 3 and she used to run on the spot really fast when she got excited but soon stopped doing it after a month or so if. You should think of recording it for when he's older so you can embarress him, my daughter will hate me at her 18th lol (just think at his 18th you could play it with the birdy song dubbed over it ;))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

bazwaldo wrote: »
    My 3yr old boy has a habit in that when he gets excited (usually while watching something on TV but could be while doing anything), he flaps from the elbows to his fingers. I mean really fast, he could almost take off!

This happens a number of times per day and is very very cute. However is it something I should be concerned about? He has started playschool and most of the kids are too young to notice but sooner or later some smart alec kid will and might start slagging him.

I think he'll grow out of it in time. But I should I try stop this habit? Or is that worse?

Nah ... you'll look back in a few years and wish he still did it ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

I have plenty of video of it as he's been doing it at least 6 months now. As much as it would be a good youtube video, I wouldn't feel right posting him. The poor fella.

We'll see how it goes I suppose. If he does start getting grief over it, then action of some sort will need to be taken. Its a pity though as its priceless watching him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,385 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I have plenty of video of it as he's been doing it at least 6 months now. As much as it would be a good youtube video, I wouldn't feel right posting him. The poor fella.

We'll see how it goes I suppose. If he does start getting grief over it, then action of some sort will need to be taken. Its a pity though as its priceless watching him. :)

ah go on, I'm sure a load of us could do with a chuckle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Please do not be putting pressure on parents to up load images of their children on the the internet for you amusement, there are plenty of other parents who have made that choice
    go google for your giggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

Arm flapping is common among young children as well as hand flapping. Its a responce to excitement and most children will grow out of it. There are a few conditions in which hand flapping is a symptom. Autism is one but if your child is comunicating and giving eye contact then it is very unlikely. SPD is another, sensory processing disorder. This is basically when your child is confronted with an exciting stimulus and in order to cope with it begins hand/arm flapping, some children bang their heads etc. Its very treatable and with some occupational therapy they will normally grow out of it.

But to put your mind at ease, most children when their brains are developing will hand flap with excitment. If you are worried about it then speek to your GP (you dont have to go in just ask their advice over the phone) but more then likely he will grow out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

sassa wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it it's probably just a phase. My eldest daughter is also 3 and she used to run on the spot really fast when she got excited but soon stopped doing it after a month or so if. You should think of recording it for when he's older so you can embarress him, my daughter will hate me at her 18th lol (just think at his 18th you could play it with the birdy song dubbed over it ;))

Thats exactly what I was thinking, only substitute 21st or Wedding :pac:

Children have to express themselves somehow. Flapping arms in excitement is no different to throwing themselves on the floor when having a tantrum, stamping their feet etc. Its a way to show their feelings at a time when they don't really have the language skills to verbalise them.

Its lovely to have a happy child who gets excited about things :) You will miss the flapping when its gone.

Lostinnappies mentioned some interesting points but I would only consider them if he is still doing it another year. If you are worried just mention it to your GP or PHN next time you are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are you sure its a boy? I've seen some women do this when running (across the road or similar).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

My youngest brother used to do this for years as a child. Especially when watching a film on tv, it was totally unconscious. And he used to bounce up and down on the couch. We called him ' boing a boing a bounce'. He stopped doing it as a young teen cause he became self conscious about it. Not a family gathering goes by without some one of us teasing him about it. He's now a serious cancer research scientist with a PhD and we totally take the mick about his arm flapping. He he.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Arm flapping is common among young children as well as hand flapping. Its a responce to excitement and most children will grow out of it. There are a few conditions in which hand flapping is a symptom. Autism is one but if your child is comunicating and giving eye contact then it is very unlikely. SPD is another, sensory processing disorder. This is basically when your child is confronted with an exciting stimulus and in order to cope with it begins hand/arm flapping, some children bang their heads etc. Its very treatable and with some occupational therapy they will normally grow out of it.

But to put your mind at ease, most children when their brains are developing will hand flap with excitment. If you are worried about it then speek to your GP (you dont have to go in just ask their advice over the phone) but more then likely he will grow out of it.

Thanks for the info lostinnappies. I'll read up on SPD just to be sure, but I don't think he has anything like that.

Victor, very funny :D. Spot on!

IsThatSo?, you are right. Seeing the excitement expressed like this is lovely. I'm sure he'll just stop doing it some day and we'll miss it.

Wantobe, "stopped doing it as a young teen"!!!! And now a serious cancer research scientist. Well maybe its a sign on intellect. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Gabsdot

My dad and 2 of my brothers still do this.

Advertisement