Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interrail - Off the beaten track

• 20-01-2009 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

I did an interrail trip a few years ago but mostly stayed to the major cities.
    I think it went a long the lines of,
    Paris -> Munich -> Zagreb/Split -> Bratislava -> Budapest -> Prague -> Berlin -> Amsterdam

So I'm thinking of taking a break in March and want to go to city/towns off the beaten track that are worth visiting, and possibly cheaper. The only places I would like to really want to get to are Ljubliana and Krakow, which I missed out on last time, and I wont be able to get as far as Iberia or Swiss/Italy.

So any suggestions on smaller places?

(Or a point to similar thread that I couldn't find through the forum search?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Would anyone recommend Serbia and/or Bosnia for example? Or any places in Czech Republic other than Praha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Would anyone recommend Serbia and/or Bosnia for example? Or any places in Czech Republic other than Praha

Serbia is worth it, go to Novi Sad for a day, then on to Belgrade. Then go to Mostar and Sarajevo (B+H), the train journey from Mostar to Sarajevo is absolutely amazing, weaving in and out of spectacularly beautiful valleys

PM me if u need more info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

In the Czech Republic you can go to cesky krumlov, it's a small town with a castle and a moat, pretty cool for a day or two.

I spent a good deal of time in Serbia and Bosnia. Coolest places I've visited on any of my inter-rail trips. Belgrade is a really great city for nightlife, especially if you go to the party boats on the river, really nice people, cheap and a good laugh. Sarajevo is a fantastic place and the closest you'll actually find to 'off the beaten track', the city is still showing the scars of the siege in 1994. Although if you go to Sarajevo make sure you stay in Harris Hostel, it's this young guy who turned his home into a hostel (part of it) in order to pay the mortgage after it was shelled in the war. It's perched right on a hill with spectacular views of Sarajevo at sunset and I have some of my fondest inter-railing moments sitting on the roof drinking beer while the sun set and came up again.

M5 is right about the train journey between Mostar and Sarajevo, it's absolutely spectacular and by far the most scenic I've been on. If you go to Mostar, though, you're going to have to jump off their famous bridge! Serious bragging rights if you do this though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxic2HzGouU (me!)

I stayed in a hostel called Majda's rooms or something in Mostar and it was great, her brother, for 15euro would take about 12 people from the hostel on a spectacular tour in his two vans. We went to this tiny lagoon that was flanked by these really cool waterfalls and there were only a few other people there and we basically spent a whole day swimming in this lake/waterfall paradise by ourselves. I'm getting all nostalgic now. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Valmont wrote: »
    In the Czech Republic you can go to cesky krumlov, it's a small town with a castle and a moat, pretty cool for a day or two.

I spent a good deal of time in Serbia and Bosnia. Coolest places I've visited on any of my inter-rail trips. Belgrade is a really great city for nightlife, especially if you go to the party boats on the river, really nice people, cheap and a good laugh. Sarajevo is a fantastic place and the closest you'll actually find to 'off the beaten track', the city is still showing the scars of the siege in 1994. Although if you go to Sarajevo make sure you stay in Harris Hostel, it's this young guy who turned his home into a hostel (part of it) in order to pay the mortgage after it was shelled in the war. It's perched right on a hill with spectacular views of Sarajevo at sunset and I have some of my fondest inter-railing moments sitting on the roof drinking beer while the sun set and came up again.

M5 is right about the train journey between Mostar and Sarajevo, it's absolutely spectacular and by far the most scenic I've been on. If you go to Mostar, though, you're going to have to jump off their famous bridge! Serious bragging rights if you do this though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxic2HzGouU (me!)

I stayed in a hostel called Majda's rooms or something in Mostar and it was great, her brother, for 15euro would take about 12 people from the hostel on a spectacular tour in his two vans. We went to this tiny lagoon that was flanked by these really cool waterfalls and there were only a few other people there and we basically spent a whole day swimming in this lake/waterfall paradise by ourselves. I'm getting all nostalgic now. Good luck.

well done on the jump lad! No one jumping when i was there!

Advertisement