Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does three fallback to non 3g connections

• 20-01-2009 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have this idea in my head that three mobile broadband is a 3g only service, ie it doesnt fallback to gprs like vodafone does.

Is this true, or did I dream it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's true. Three have no 2G/GPRS network at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Vodaphone has no EDGE (245kbps) on their GSM, so they fall back to 60Kbps GPRS

Meteor and O2 have EDGE on their GSM so 3G/HSDPA can drop back to 245k on EDGE, which is near non-HSDPA 3G speed of 350kbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Vodafone do not allow 3 data roaming on their network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

watty wrote: »
    Vodaphone has no EDGE (245kbps) on their GSM, so they fall back to 60Kbps GPRS

Meteor and O2 have EDGE on their GSM so 3G/HSDPA can drop back to 245k on EDGE, which is near non-HSDPA 3G speed of 350kbps.
    Watty, it's Vodafone, not Vodaphone

http://www.vodaphone.ie/
    Address Not Found

Firefox can't find the server at www.vodaphone.ie.

The browser could not find the host server for the provided address.

* Did you make a mistake when typing the domain? (e.g. "ww.mozilla.org" instead of "www.mozilla.org")
        * Are you certain this domain address exists?  Its registration may have expired.
        * Are you unable to browse other sites?  Check your network connection and DNS server settings.
        * Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy?  Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I think watty was just trying not to get banned for using text speak. Phone is not spelled with an f.

barnicles banned for using txtspk :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

barnicles wrote: »
    Vodafone do not allow 3 data roaming on their network

They do in some parts. i can use data on my 3 phone where I live with GPRS signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Vodafone and 3 have a contract. If there is NO 3 coverage at all, then 3 users automatically roam to Vodafone masts. If there is a good Vodafone signal but offically 3 coverage but bad signal, then you are stuck on the bad signal.

notes:
    a) I can't spell. I use my cybernetic aids.
    b) Not my fault companies go for trick spellings.

txtspk was invented in the 19th Century for telegraphed morse and later wireless telegraphy, known now as CW. I can't do that myself either, I use a computer program for morse, but the txtspk trips me up. It's not completely the same as Mobile Phone variety.
    YL = young lady
    XYL = wife
    lid = bad operator
    WX = weather
    QTH = location (there are dozens of Q codes).
    Many are the same, for a similar reason. At least on a phone keypad there are 12 buttons a straight morse key has one. There are bug keys/ paddles that do dots one side and dashes the other side.

I so much prefer QWERTY that I have a folding BT keyboard for my phone. Or is it fone? Commercially from the 1930s they used QWERTY keyboard for morse sending on telegraph or radio.

That's enough trivia for tonight.

Advertisement