Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Question

Options
  • 20-01-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

She can insure as many cars as she wants, but she can only use her NCB on one policy. Also, your insurance may be void in the event of a serious accident if you lie on the proposal form (ie having her down as the main driver). I know insuring the car yourself will be expensive but it is safer, and you'll also be on the way to building your own NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Bottom line is that you probably can do it, but you definitely shouldn't.

Insurers weren't born yesterday - they'll happily take the money, but you could find yourself in a lot of bother if you need to make a claim.

what car is it? for bigger car, i'd say to go named driver but if it's a small car, build up no claims bonus..

i'm paying bout 500 more a year to have my own policy (first year driving) but should work out better in long run.. plus i don't mess up my mum's policy if i crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,004 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unless she is actually going to be driving your car more than you are she's not the first driver; and as Anan1 says - a large claim (or repeated claims) by the 'named driver' will be investigated thoroughly and they'll discover this.

However, its entirely possible and people do it all the time.... You may also find a quote is cheaper with her a named driver to you as first than you solo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

-Phuqer- wrote: »
    But how would an insurer know that I was driving it full time?

Considering insurance fraud is a crime, all it would take is for someone to report it to the Insurance company.

Just imagine - you hit a neighbour's car, make a claim, they investigate and the neighbour says that they've never seen anyone but you drive the car. Where would that leave you??

You never can predict when or why you might need to claim your insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

-Phuqer- wrote: »
    But how would an insurer know that I was driving it full time?
    If a big claim comes in then the ins co will start looking for ways out of paying - it's what they do, and they're good at it.

can named driver be fully comp or always 3rd party?

Advertisement