Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck..

• 20-01-2009 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

I am in the process of setting up my own tour operations business after working in the industry. I plan to set up tours from Dublin small-scale at first. I know 2009 will be quiet but my goal is to build up a reputation and then when times get better look to expand. I can provide for half the costs of setting up - 25k, the other half is the problem. Do I go to Failte Ireland or Martin Cullen and ask about grants for setting up a tour company? Would there be anybody interested out there who knows the industry be interested in talking about it and maybe coming in as partner? Any ideas, interests or anything would be great. Cheers.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Definitely go talk to your local enterprise board, they will be of massive help. Rather than partnering at this stage i would suggest trying to cut your costs, vendor finance and pre-sell your tours. Launch on a smaller scale, anything you could do last year with 25k can be done this year for less. Once you've proven your concept then you can partner with someone for less of an equity stake.

Pm. me your rough start up costs and ill give you specific hints where to cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

Thanks. I will do that within the next 2 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The tour business is decimated. It is basically a dollar business. It has lost its tax break on diesel, even. I would not go into this industry at the moment. If you think you will be able to sell tour seats in 2009, I would suggest talking to one of the existing players. They need all the help they can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

The tour business is decimated. It is basically a dollar business. It has lost its tax break on diesel, even. I would not go into this industry at the moment. If you think you will be able to sell tour seats in 2009, I would suggest talking to one of the existing players. They need all the help they can get.

+1...top advice there.

yes, do a deal with one of the exisiting operators.
    You could be like a internet srcreen scraper, get bookings and seel them onto the existing operator - and you take your cut. All you need is a website,laptop,phone and a BB connection!

Advertisement