Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about getting a tatoo

Options
  • 20-01-2009 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭

Hi,

never ever thought that I would post here but here goes, hope that you do not mind my questions?

Was thinking of getting a small tatoo of either tigger or something saying tigger forever. Does it really hurt? Am not great on pain. Secondly is it safe - not asking for medical advice but could I try for a kid shortly afterwards? Thirdly, where is the least painful place to have it (bearing in mind that I also want it to be discrete) - was thinking my chest. I understand if you can not answer my questions but just thought I would throw them out there.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Firstly Im really sorry to hear about your loss Cathy.I know how devastating it can be.

As for your questions Ill try answer as best I can.

For me the issue of pain is nil.I can best describe it as a mild sunburn feeling or like getting a graze on your skin.

As for safety,once you go to a reputable artist and follow their after care instructions there is zero risk of infection.

My wife got one done while we were in the middle of an ivf cycle so I dont think you`ve any worries there.

Least painful area would be one with lots of fat tissue under the skin--I dont mean a "fat" area just one with plenty of padding :)

Hope this helps.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Hi,

never ever thought that I would post here but here goes, hope that you do not mind my questions?

Was thinking of getting a small tatoo of either tigger or something saying tigger forever. Does it really hurt? Am not great on pain. Secondly is it safe - not asking for medical advice but could I try for a kid shortly afterwards? Thirdly, where is the least painful place to have it (bearing in mind that I also want it to be discrete) - was thinking my chest. I understand if you can not answer my questions but just thought I would throw them out there.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Hi,

Thanks.

Hi Cathy, and welcome in here! :)

Getting a tattoo does hurt, but it is a bearable kind of pain. Obviously everyone has differing pain thresholds, and that is what makes this question very difficult to answer. Everyone takes it differently.

There should be no problem with trying for a kid shortly afterwards, but just bear in mind that if you have the tattoo somewhere that is going to grow should you conceive, then the tattoo will get stretched, and may never go back to looking the same. Best advice here would be to simply choose a location where it will not suffer much/any stretching!

Regarding the least painful place, again that's something that is going to differ from person to person. You would know better than anyone where you would be more sensitive. If the area is sensitive and feels pain quite easily, or if it is over the bones then it'll likely hurt more.

Hope that helps!

If you do go ahead with it, please come back and show us how it turned out, and share your experience, so that future people in the same/similar situation will be able to use the information :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Thanks - told hubby, he is in shock! He suggested my rear but I want to be able to see it - any suggestions of places would be great though I just have to not be able to see them with normal work clothes on...have never even had my ears pierced. May try and get him to have one too...

Was actually thinking of a tatoo like my avatar! Another question if that is OK - how long do they take and how long do they take to heal? I dont want a big one? Sorry for being so nieve. Will of course show it off if and when I get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Thanks - told hubby, he is in shock! He suggested my rear but I want to be able to see it - any suggestions of places would be great though I just have to not be able to see them with normal work clothes on...have never even had my ears pierced. May try and get him to have one too...

How about your stomach/hip/just above your bikini line?

• Advertisement

Was actually thinking of a tatoo like my avatar! Another question if that is OK - how long do they take and how long do they take to heal? I dont want a big one? Sorry for being so nieve. Will of course show it off if and when I get it.

The length of time will depend on a combination of factors, mainly the size of the tattoo, the level of detail and the level of shading. To give an example, my tattoos are around the size of my shoulder blades, and took around an hour and a half. Healing time depends on your system, but will be a matter of around 6 weeks to be pretty much fully healed.

The first couple of weeks are the main bit though, after which the swelling and the redness will have died down.

I know that there are links above but can anyone personally suggest a place in D2 or Lucan area. Would they do one as small as my avatar? How do I pick it out? Sorry, I dont have a clue!

I know that there are links above but can anyone personally suggest a place in D2 or Lucan area. Would they do one as small as my avatar? How do I pick it out? Sorry, I dont have a clue!
    Doing one quite that small could be difficult, as the smaller they are, the harder it is to carry it off without any of the colours/lines "bleeding"... same kind of effect you would get from ink on absorbant paper... the lines could go a little blurry.

As regards "picking it out", your best bet would be to get the tigger picture that appeals to you most (google image search is probably your best bet here) and bring it in to the tattoo artist. There are quite a few places in/around the city centre and temple bar area, not sure about Lucan...

The artist I would recommend for a "cartoon" style tattoo at the minute would be Darren in Colourworks, which is in Temple bar, as he did a great job on a friend of mine. If you want to have a look at some stuff he's done: http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=332899778&albumId=743336

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

Hi Cathy,

they say the most painful places to get a tat are top of spine, lowerback and kidneys, ribs......

I will admit these are the places i have done but i like pain, i end up a a bit of a high getting inked.

As already said everyone is different, i have a high pain threshold and can sit for 3 hrs before i need a break

I have 5 tattoos and manage to hide them in work most of the time.

put on something u usually wear and see what bits of you are well covered and definately avoid any area that is subject to stretch during pregnancy.

The best tip i can give is have a bar of chocolate and bottle of lucozade before hand, i also tend to chew chewing gum while getting done

Best of luck with it ;)

and no questions are stupid, we all had to learn sometime!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The pain issue is quite personal, I think it hurts like balls, but at the same time it is a pain you can put up with. Once you get used to the initial shock after a minute or two you can settle into it quite nicely. Getting tattooed anywhere bony is going to hurt e.g ribs, spine, hand, feet; is going to hurt more than a fatty or muscular area. If you're getting a small tigger done it shouldn't be that big a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 chelsey

I have a somewhat large cross on my back and it really didnt hurt that bad. There were certain spots that hurt more then others, after a while, I honestly didnt even feel it, you kinda just get used to it. There is also numbing spray that you can ask for, they have to outline whatever you want and then they can spray it and it numbs you, it depends on how big it is as to whether or not they will use it. If its a small tattoo they wont bother, but if its a huge one, they can use it.

But I got a little heart tattoo on my foot that took no more then 10 minutes to do, but hurt A LOT more then my hour 1/2 tattoo on my back.

Collar bone, ribs, hips, foot, angle etc everywhere that has a lot of bone will hurt more then anywhere else.

Advertisement