Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone know of an easy elective with place still available?

Options
  • 20-01-2009 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

seriously i need an elective but all of them seem to be full

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Remember that people "in programme" get priority for places in electives, so try checking the "in programme" box when searching, for courses you should get in to. If that only returns "hard" electives, well, they are in the programme you chose. I don't know exactly how the timing works, but places may be freed up later.

Assuming 1st year, how about CVEN10010 - Graphics In Design?
    This is an introductory engineering course which addresses the following topics: an introduction to problem solving and observation skills, an introduction to the graphical code of orthographic and pictorial projection; introduction to design graphics based on plane and surface geometry; communication graphics, including standards for computation; computer-aided drafting in two and three dimensions.
    I did a similar course that had a technical drawing side to it (CVEN10030), but this appears easier. Assessment is 50 % portfolio, 50% exam.

An elective I did take a year ago is MEEN10020 - Materials Sci & Eng I. If you want to learn about the behaviour of materials, with a starter of ironmaking history, a main course of Steel, and a dessert of Polymers, this is for you. Lecturer (Prof. Carr) is a character with major industry experience. Exam was a MCQ "trivia test" - one for the crammers.

PS one more I might have gone for last year (is it new?): EEME10010 - Energy Challenges.
    This module is designed to introduce 1st year Engineering students, and others with a similar background, to some of the key challenges posed by current and projected levels of global primary energy consumption. The course will be structured around ¿twenty questions¿, each of which will be used to introduce a particular topic.
    The bulk of the course will be delivered in lecture format by UCD academic staff. This will be complemented by talks given by guest speakers from the energy sector, such as Bord Gáis Éireann, ESB, EirGrid, Wavebob, Marine Current Turbines Ltd., Airtricity, BP/Esso/Shell/Statoil, DCENR, SEI, etc. A key element of the course will be preparation and presentation of a poster, by a group of 3-6 students, on a relevant topic.
    I know you specifically asked about "easy electives", but I bet that if a course has been mentioned here as an "easy elective", then that's why it's already full. There's also a risk that the lecturer(s) in charge see this, say "easy? really?", and beef it up a bit. Lots of people want all the credits without doing all the work. :p

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 adsion001

I would say the most easy one is FDSC10010 i am not sure if it is full, but get a try, u may surprise how easy it is.:D

Advertisement