Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Making an offer

Options
  • 20-01-2009 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

The car I am looking at has dropped to 4900.
    I am willing to offer 4200 cash. Ive never done this car dealing before.
    Is that reasonable?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Offer 3750 cash he may bite your hand off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

What''s the car? Depending on if it's still over priced at €4900

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Alicano

I think your being a bit cheeky with 4200 tbh.:)
    Cash..4400 and its yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

dellas1979 wrote: »
    The car I am looking at has dropped to 4900.
    I am willing to offer 4200 cash. Ive never done this car dealing before.
    Is that reasonable?

offer 3,800, tell him to take it or leave it as u are looking at alternatives elsewhere

Alicano wrote: »
    I think your being a bit cheeky with 4200 tbh.:)
    Cash..4400 and its yours.

dont think so not at all, chances are the lower end value of the markets maybe less than 5K value motors, a lot of dealers just need to get rid, offer well below at 3800, and i'd nearly guarantee you he'll take it for cash in hand

• Advertisement

We can't say what to offer until the OP tells us what car it is.

true, but was basing it on the fact if the dealer wants 4,900, irrespective of type of car, offer below, 3,800 is a fair offer in current climate,

victor1 wrote: »
    true, but was basing it on the fact if the dealer wants 4,900, irrespective of type of car, offer below, 3,800 is a fair offer in current climate,

Lets says it's a 06 Corsa, and at 4900 it's the cheapest one by a few bob. The seller is going to know this and not go much lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

We can't say what to offer until the OP tells us what car it is.

yes we can (as obama says) cos its a buyers market and cash is king regardless of make/model/spec. :)

yes we can (as obama says) cos its a buyers market and cash is king regardless of make/model/spec. :)
    +1

• Advertisement

Lets says it's a 06 Corsa, and at 4900 it's the cheapest one by a few bob. The seller is going to know this and not go much lower.

utter assumptions there Gary, they could be emigrating, in debt, lost their job, in mortgage arrears or just need the cash to go to vegas and blow it!- who knows what people will accept theses days in a recession.

Just because of the way the market is, it doesn't mean that dealers will take any penny they can get for a car. Anywho, i'm going to talk no further on this topic until i see what car the OP is talking about.

utter assumptions there Gary, they could be emigrating, in debt, lost their job, in mortgage arrears or just need the cash to go to vegas and blow it!- who knows what people will accept theses days in a recession.

Now they are utter assumptions, as i said, no futher talk until we see the car. It's pointless.

Possible but unlikely a corsa - but even if it was cash is very much king, she posted on 17th regarding car options she was looking at:
    "Option 2 car for around €5000: There is a 1L 06 for 5500 that I am also kinda interested in-not as much as the one Id like fo " - a 06 1L, that was originally 5500, I still maintain irrespective of the model for this value of motor, offer below their asking price, 1100 below is fine, 3800 - if you dont ask you wont get -

Just because of the way the market is, it doesn't mean that dealers will take any penny they can get for a car. Anywho, i'm going to talk no further on this topic until i see what car the OP is talking about.

LM, she never mentioned a dealer.
    You have this hang up on car pricing and lead us all to believe here that you know it all on pricing and regularily beat your chest here to that effect and indeed locked horns with me on this Gary - saying previosuly I was way out on my pricings.
    Well, I'm not, I'am at the coalface daily - and its not about prices, its about debt, people needing cash, dealers needing cash to clear - Cash is King!!!
    Deals are to be done, and people are taking "dives" daily. Prices are merely a suggestion these days.

Listen, it's very simple. We don't know what car the OP is talking about. There fore we can't make assumptions as to what it's worth, andto what money they can get off the retail price of the car.

You can't say what you will get off a car when you don't know what car it is. You were wrong the last time, and this time you are trying to say what you can get off a car when you don't even know what it is:confused:You seem to think that every dealer in the country is bankrupt and will take any penny they can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The OP has said the price of the car has dropped to €4900. From what?

And dont just assume the PERSON SELLING THE CAR has dropped the price to get rid of it, he may be simply dropping the price in line with the market.

Wait and see what car it is before you go shouting about this,that and the other. As LM said, this car could be quite a lot cheaper than a similar car is already.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Doesn't make sense to me.

If the seller could take 3800 for the car, why advertise at 4900 ? If they advertised at 4300 they would get a lot more interest and still have room for haggling. Advertising at way over the price you need to get is a waste of time.

If someone bid me 22% less than I'm asking I would not take them seriously, recession or not. If I wanted to blow out a car to get rid of it / get cash back in I'd advertise it at a givaway price.

To answer the OP's question, without knowing what the car is we are going nowhere here - I agree with LM. The car be worth 3000 or 7000 for all we know. Maybe it's a gift at 4900.

I repeat, she never mentioned a dealer, it could be a private sale?
    Keep the chest beating going as all the Limerick Boyz stick together! It's all good.

I repeat, she never mentioned a dealer, it could be a private sale?
    Keep the chest beating going as all the Limerick Boyz stick together! It's all good.

Dear god, if it's a private sale, then clearly it's not "a dealer who is going bankrupt", therefore money isn't "King" and you saying it's a private sales just completely cancels out all of your points.

And "Limerick Boyz" sticking together? Seriously, grow up.

• Advertisement

Seriously niceirishfella, if your going to PM me like you did the last time we "locked horns" and you were wrong. Pathetic

I ain't lowering myself to name calling .........I'm simply not ..... Enough.

I ain't lowering myself to name calling .........I'm simply not ..... Enough.

A change from the last time we "locked horns" so?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

I think maybe ye should put yer Horns back in yer pants lads.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

From my limited experience as both a seller and a buyer, there are two things that would help you get a bargin.

a) Johnny Cash

and

b) The offer of a quick hassle free sale.

So, if I am trying to buy a second hand car now, expecially in a private sale I always emphasise that I offer both of these. Firstly, wave some cash under the sellers nose. Not a cheque or a bank draft. Just €50 notes. Then tell them, you'll take the car away that night or first thing in the morning. So it's not going to drag on.

So, while they might have been looking for maybe €5k and you're offering them say €4k. They are looking at your bag of €50 notes and the knowledge that they won't have to take any more phone calls, place any more ads, meet any more tyre kickers and they often just go for it.

While, every seller is different and you can't gaurntee this would work with all of them, in my experience, it certainly helps with most of them.

I think maybe ye should put yer Horns back in yer pants lads.:p

said the bishop to the...........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement