Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Access

Options
  • 20-01-2009 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

I have a form in which we create purchase orders.

A lot of our orders are repeat orders so I want to somehow duplicate certain form records from time to time. How could I go about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You could have an option to create an order from previous. If chosen, display summary of orders previously placed with the specific supplier, fill the form with the details of the selected one and allow changes before committing as a new order.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭stephenlane80

If you are using .Net you could store the each of the fields from you order header to your app.config file every time an order is commited,

Then when the forum is reloaded after the previous submit, you could initialise the forms fields values with the fields you saved to the app.config file for for the last save.

If you are not using .Net you could use an ini file or you could create an xml file with the required fields saved as elements

If you are using .Net you could store the each of the fields from you order header to your app.config file every time an order is commited,

Then when the forum is reloaded after the previous submit, you could initialise the forms fields values with the fields you saved to the app.config file for for the last save.

If you are not using .Net you could use an ini file or you could create an xml file with the required fields saved as elements

Look at it from a commercial perspective If you were going to repeat an order immediately following an order just placed you would have included everything in the first order. Presumably the order is being stored in a database so what's wrong with retrieving the history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Is this a web app? why are some respondants assuming this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'd just retrieve the previous order details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭stephenlane80

FSL wrote: »
    Look at it from a commercial perspective If you were going to repeat an order immediately following an order just placed you would have included everything in the first order. Presumably the order is being stored in a database so what's wrong with retrieving the history?

Well i think getting the last record is ok, if there is only one client, but in a multi client envoirnment you could be geting somebody elses last record,

This can be avoided thou by saving the record id after commiting a record, and using it to retrieve the record again immediately after,

This gives an extra database hit thou, so i guess it depends on whether this is undesirable

EDIT: dooohhh, just read post title, an access database can still have multiple clients so i guess it still applies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭AccessQuery

sparkite wrote: »
    I have a form in which we create purchase orders.

A lot of our orders are repeat orders so I want to somehow duplicate certain form records from time to time. How could I go about this?

Hi,
    I'm just after coming across your post.....

Why not have your order form display the last order for the client you're viewing, you can use or overwrite data displayed. A simple SQL in the form should solve this one for you.

I've done similar things with billing and CRM systems. PM me, I'd be happy to help you out.

The last order placed on the supplier may not be the one you wish to repeat, which is why I suggested displaying a summary of the previous orders placed on that supplier. Then filling the order from the one chosen to allow any minor alterations before committing it as a new order.

Advertisement