Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2/meteor/vodafone/3g internet for phone

• 20-01-2009 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I am currently using the Nokia E61i and i want to get the Nokia E71 or E71i the thing is i have been on O2 network and the internet is good but i believe i can get better value for money by switching network.

So boardsies what network are you on(i.e. for those of you who use the internet on your phone) and is it good for browsing: speed, downloads(small files) etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭JDxtra

€6.50 extra a month for 250mb download with O2. Perfect for browsing mobile web pages such as m.boards.ie. I have rarely used more than a fraction of the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

[url]Http://www.powermyphone.com/datapricing.php[/url]

courtesy of Random the moderator.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Meteor 99c for 50mb a day offer gives u faster browsing and works very well with Youtube which o2 does not do and vodafone isnt as reliable as Meteor on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Come next month O2 will offer youtube streaming on your handset also. We also have 99c per 50MB for prepay and soon for bill pay. Out side of that there are 3 add-ons for bill pay €7.50 for 250 MB, €15 for 1GB and €30 for 10GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Trouble2008

Thanks everyone... I think i am angling towards meteor, my current plan is with o2 but the package i am on(350 minutes, 250 text messages) for €56 where i could get free evenings and weekends with meteor for €50.

@ Nowso: have you ever had connectivity issues bar network upgrades? Do you use the internet frequently(everyday)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I've found Meteor to be quite good but you should know that they haven't fully rolled out their 3G network yet.
    Maybe you could check if your area is covered ?

I use 3's tenner a month for 1GB on PAYG.
    It can be a pain carrying a spare handset but no other network comes near in terms of value for daily use.

I live in the CC so i reckon i am covered allright, the thing is i have never had problems with o2. I just find their CS a pain sometimes, my phone is insured and it fell into milk. I tried to claim insurance and i have to pay €35 and they ordered the older version of my phone when a new model is available! I suggested paying a difference for this new phone and they refused. I took the phone to the Nokia shop and it was repaired for free!

Correct me if i am wrong but does vodafone own meteor now? So network coverage should be the same now?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nowso wrote: »
    Meteor 99c for 50mb a day offer gives u faster browsing and works very well with Youtube which o2 does not do and vodafone isnt as reliable as Meteor on

Well meteor wouldnt be faster. They all use the same technology anyway (I think) for internet but Meteor is lagging behind.
    I live in the CC so i reckon i am covered allright, the thing is i have never had problems with o2. I just find their CS a pain sometimes, my phone is insured and it fell into milk. I tried to claim insurance and i have to pay €35 and they ordered the older version of my phone when a new model is available! I suggested paying a difference for this new phone and they refused. I took the phone to the Nokia shop and it was repaired for free!

Correct me if i am wrong but does vodafone own meteor now? So network coverage should be the same now?

I personally found o2s repair service to be the best out on the market. They also seem to have a better network and without a doubt the best customer service on the market atm. Meteor when I was with them were an absolute pain. Vodafone are good but pricy.

In regards to the newer model - well there policy is to replace the phone. That is, the phone you bought. Not a newer one. Paying the difference might seem easy to me and you but I assume it would be a nightmare to manage as its not part of the general admin for o2. When you bought the phone your under warranty with Nokia for 2 years so they have to fix it for you. You can also get your phone upgraded to the latest firmware and repair any issue with your phone under warranty. Thats outside o2s remit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Come next month O2 will offer youtube streaming on your handset also. We also have 99c per 50MB for prepay and soon for bill pay. Out side of that there are 3 add-ons for bill pay €7.50 for 250 MB, €15 for 1GB and €30 for 10GB.

Well,well,well, O2 up to their rip off tricks again:D

€15 for 1gig vs. €10 with 3 for the same thing.

OP, I would recommend you try the new INQ 1 from 3. Way better than anything the other networks have, including the iphone.

Sully wrote: »
    Well meteor wouldnt be faster. They all use the same technology anyway (I think) for internet but Meteor is lagging behind.

I personally found o2s repair service to be the best out on the market. They also seem to have a better network and without a doubt the best customer service on the market atm. Meteor when I was with them were an absolute pain. Vodafone are good but pricy.

In regards to the newer model - well there policy is to replace the phone. That is, the phone you bought. Not a newer one. Paying the difference might seem easy to me and you but I assume it would be a nightmare to manage as its not part of the general admin for o2. When you bought the phone your under warranty with Nokia for 2 years so they have to fix it for you. You can also get your phone upgraded to the latest firmware and repair any issue with your phone under warranty. Thats outside o2s remit.
    If they replaced it with the same phone(e61i) i wouldn't mind but not just the e61!

Interesting read, i have always been on o2 so i don't know what other networks offer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Im unsure what the differences are anyway? The E71 has them but I was unaware there was even a choice. I must look into it.

Iv only been with Vodafone and Meteor. Meteor I couldn't even call to say I wanted to leave cause their support was that bad. The website was as bad as o2s. Vodafone were great but expensive. o2 have excellent and continuously improving customer service (ignoring the shops) with what I think are excellent packages for the mobile. Win hands down for me tbh.

Well,well,well, O2 up to their rip off tricks again:D

€15 for 1gig vs. €10 with 3 for the same thing.

OP, I would recommend you try the new INQ 1 from 3. Way better than anything the other networks have, including the iphone.

nokia_e71_1.jpg

Phone looks decent.... I wanted the Nokia E71
    3 mobile surfing comes to a tenner a month... Looks promising! Like the msn and chat, i don't think the E71 has all of that.
    Actually i just looked at the E71 spec and it doesn't have msn and skype

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Use 3 and I have there 10 euro 1G add on and I find it very good.

Terrible pic of the E71 tbh. :p

Also, 3s record has been so poor I wouldnt even consider using them. Threads are tell a shocking story.

Also, 3s record has been so poor I wouldnt even consider using them. Threads are tell a shocking story.
    Hehehhe...
    So my options are

Network: o2/3g
    Phones: e71i/INQ INQ1

Vodafone= too expensive!
    Meteor = dunno much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well I can't disagree with you there, Sully, but I've been on contract with them for over a year now, and have had no problems. Even got a text from them after 10 months telling me I qualified for an upgrade. Have to say there choice of phones was fantastic. Got the INQ last week for only €9, and I'm on the cheapest plan:)

I'm with o2 for another phone for over 2 yrs and they will only give ma a Silver Upgrade, where the phones are more expensive than a PAYG phone :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Vodafone does not own meteor.
    Meteor is owned by eircom.

Meteor roam on vodafone in areas (mainly in the west) where they have no coverage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Im using an opera mini browser on my sony ericsson and use it all the time the vodafone network is slower as its oversubscribed. Meteor has seperate streaming settings which helps and i use via opera 4.2 all the time
    I used o2 also and couldnt get streaming dunno if new settings would be as good as meteor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

i want to get the Nokia E71 or E71i the thing is i have been on O2 network and the internet is good but i believe i can get better value for money by switching network.

I'm on 3's relax plan (which is very felxible compared to any other network), have been since it came out, Internet on the phone is usually top notch, using the e71 since september and I haven't one complaint, brillinat phone that suits their network well....
    Free phone ever 10mts and no roaming charges to the UK, the Relax plan definatly makes sense......
    Move to Vodafone or Stay with 02 and your guranteed big bills, Meteor have no 3G network to back up such a high end phone, so there's only one real choice if your after a 3G phone with a fair priced bill....

I'm on 3's relax plan (which is very felxible compared to any other network), have been since it came out, Internet on the phone is usually top notch, using the e71 since september and I haven't one complaint, brillinat phone that suits their network well....

Free phone ever 10mts and no roaming charges to the UK, the Relax plan definatly makes sense......

Move to Vodafone or Stay with 02 and your guranteed big bills, Meteor have no 3G network to back up such a high end phone, so there's only one real choice if your after a 3G phone with a fair priced bill....

I was just looking at the relax 350minutes and it has 1050 texts per month(not sure-that could be an error) but it looks brilliant!

I really am torn at this stage but it seems the network i would be going for is 3, not sure on the phone though(Nokia e71/INQ1)

Which of the relax plans are you on and how much does your monthly bill come to if you don't mind me asking. My o2 is about €70 per month(350 minutes, 250 texts, 250mb,insurance).
    I wonder why i have insurance, surely home insurance should cover my phone if anything happens...

• Advertisement

I was just looking at the relax 350minutes and it has 1050 texts per month(not sure-that could be an error) but it looks brilliant!

I really am torn at this stage but it seems the network i would be going for is 3, not sure on the phone though(Nokia e71/INQ1)

Which of the relax plans are you on and how much does your monthly bill come to if you don't mind me asking. My o2 is about €70 per month(350 minutes, 250 texts, 250mb,insurance).
    I wonder why i have insurance, surely home insurance should cover my phone if anything happens...

Your reading it wrong, what you get with relax 350 is:
    350 Voice Minutes or 1050 texts or 350mb of Data...

So in theroy you could 250 Minutes, 150 Texts and 50mb of Data, that would add up to 350 Units.....
    You basically use the phone up to 350 units, whatever way you like...
    Other Perks are
    Free Voicemail
    Free Data for certain applications, like TV & Poker etc...
    Free Planet 3 (you can check up the news, preview music etc for free)
    €50 Cash back on your second bill
    Free Skype and MSN (does not come out of your data)
    Free 3 to 3 calls....
    Your also due an upgrade after 10mts regardless of what you spend..

Also you don't really need Insurance as 3 have there own built in Insurance, depending on the type of phone you get starting off that determines the type of phone you get if yours needs replacing, so if you went with the INQ worth €99 they could give you back a sony k610i as a replacement, but if you went with the E71 you would get a higher end phone as a replacement, it costs you €50 to get a replacment phone from 3 using this...but ya stick it on your home insurance if possible;)

I'm on relax 950 and my usual bill is around €120, but I use nearly 1300 Minutes a month + (about 400 of them in free 3 to 3 calls).....absolutley makes no sense for me to move to another network at the moment.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Also you don't really need Insurance as 3 have there own built in Insurance, depending on the type of phone you get starting off that determines the type of phone you get if yours needs replacing, so if you went with the INQ worth €99 they could give you back a sony k610i as a replacement, but if you went with the E71 you would get a higher end phone as a replacement, it costs you €50 to get a replacment phone from 3 using this...but ya stick it on your home insurance if possible;)

does your contract not go back to 12 months when you do that? it definitely used to

and here comes the obligatory mention of the downside of 3: if you have any problems that are not standard, every day things, ie things that wouldn't be on the script that customer care read from (which is often wrong), you will have an extremely frustrating time trying to get it solved and it's quite likely the problem will never be solved

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    does your contract not go back to 12 months when you do that? it definitely used to

and here comes the obligatory mention of the downside of 3: if you have any problems that are not standard, every day things, ie things that wouldn't be on the script that customer care read from (which is often wrong), you will have an extremely frustrating time trying to get it solved and it's quite likely the problem will never be solved

yes your contract starts rolling for another 12mts then correct..best off with house insurance...

as for the customer care issue, buy from a local store and you shouldn't have any problems that can't be fixed instore....buy from India and I hope they whole experience is as painfull as possible:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Just on the subject of speed, I tried a speedtest when using my phone as a modem over GPRS and I got 40 kb down and 22 kb up over Meteor, but I roamed onto Vodafone and got 15 kb down and 7 up so Meteor could well be faster in alot of cases.

So i saw the blackberry bold yesterday and it looks cool.....

Still waiting, my contract ends in February with o2. So i am still investigating packages and connectivity on different networks.

Thanks guys.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

OP, I haven't seen it mentioned on this thread but be aware that Vodafone also have a €10 1GB add on, cleverly hidden away on the website but available if you ring them. If you are going for any of the 3g phones you will need somewhere near this amount of data each month and a network that will deliver the 3g coverage you need.

Check out the coverage maps before you make up your mind!

Advertisement