Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Downloading

Options
  • 20-01-2009 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭

Whereabouts does everyone get their music from? I'm just interested to see how people come about acquiring their music.
    The reason is that I found a programme which downloads the sound from youtube videos so the sound i.e. the song, can be downloaded from music videos. It's free and completely virus free. The only thing is the legality but I cannot see it being technically illegal.
    http://www.download.com/Free-YouTube-to-MP3-Converter/3000-2194_4-10665553.html?tag=mncol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

AFAIK if it is copyrighted material, and you didnt pay the copyright holder (through whatever channels they agreed), then it is copyright theft.

For example, if someone puts a copy of some new song on youbube without the artists permission and you copy that, you are committing copyright theft. Then again,its also theft if you just watch it.

The legal discussions forum might be better able to answer the question:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=633

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

well OP,that's really depends on how 'pro' of you can get music from the net lol

itune,amazon to torrent/ftp download,depends on money and how desperate you want a song/album:p i'd say i use all of them depends on my mood,and maybe financial situation sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

The legal discussions forum might be better able to answer the question:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=633
    dude,OP opened a thread here instead of in the music/legal forum is obviously looking for a discussion with us 'insider' UCD boardsie.

of course he is well aware of the illegal stuffs judging from his e-penis on boardsie:D

i'd say the mod can lock this or let us have some wild discussion,not crossing the LINE tho

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

iTunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

A lot of my friends, and I have a lot, pay for their music but it is expensive at 99c a song. I was surprised that people had moved on from getting free music as a result of the scare about getting caught and the virus infected P2P programmes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

AFAIK if it is copyrighted material, and you didnt pay the copyright holder (through whatever channels they agreed), then it is copyright theft.

1) There is no such crime as "copyright theft." Copyright infringement is a civil matter, not a criminal one.

2) The above claim is far too broad. There is what's called "fair use" (which is the doctrine under which, for example, students are allowed to copy articles and parts of books for their studies. Your claim also rules out such things as lending libraries, lending media to one's friend and neighbours, not to mention VCRs, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

The audio quality on youtube ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

BrightEyes wrote: »
    A lot of my friends, and I have a lot, pay for their music but it is expensive at 99c a song. I was surprised that people had moved on from getting free music as a result of the scare about getting caught and the virus infected P2P programmes
    Lol? You can pay for music?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Next thing people will be buying movies:eek:

Advertisement