Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photobucket Rules

• 20-01-2009 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

Before we all develop hernias from sitting analysing the Flickr system, it may be interesting to note that Photobucket is far more popular:

http://gigaom.com/2006/06/22/photobucket-rules/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

Or it was 2 and a half years ago..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Photobucket is a bucket of shoite!
    It really winds me up when people link to a picture hosted there and if you click on it, you get brought to some default page.

What a load of rubbish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Which matters most, what we use ourselves or what other people use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

A good question, Calina.

Knock yourselves out with this

http://news.helpero.com/article/Imageshack-vs-Flickr-vs-Photobucket_296.html

as my friends at Techfocus would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

More old stats, these from March 2007?

I think the majority here use FlickR or Pix.ie. It seems to work for us. I'm sure we could also put some stats together to show it. :D

• Advertisement

Those stats don't raise anything that I would consider in selecting a service for myself.

However, I don't get the tribal "I use this so it must be best" idea.

If you want to go ImageShack or Photobucket, fine.

I just have nearly 8000 photographs on flickr. It'd be a headache to change it now.

I'm searching for links that show trends and this is more up to date:

http://idaconcpts.com/2008/11/19/revisiting-flickr-versus-snapfish-versus-photobucket-versus-slide-versus-shutterfly/

I have been uploading to the various sites listed for longer than two years and so find the graphs expressive of what I've often seen written on other photo sites.

I have no problem about the preferences shown by Boards.ies and do not mean to undermine anybody's choice of uploading tool.

It is just a nice distraction from the pouring rain and the intensive scrubbing needed to get my rucksack ready for my photo-trip-extravaganza, of which, I assure you, you will never hear the end.

Anouilh wrote: »
    I'm searching for links that show trends and this is more up to date:

Again, as people have said, WHO CARES?

Statistics would probably show that Conns sell more cameras to people than Kea-Photo does to Irish people, but then again, we know that Kea offer a better and cheaper service.

Does it matter? People here tend to recommend what they know, what they find useful and what works for them, rather than what some statistics website says.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have an account with Photobucket. I was with some other server which closed down but gave me a choice where to send my images before they deleted everything. Flickr was only fairly new, so I went to Photobucket. Back then the server used to do a Monica quite a lot but seems to have settled down over time.

I also have a Pix.ie account & think it's the best I have seen, though I only have a few images on there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Calina wrote: »
    Those stats don't raise anything that I would consider in selecting a service for myself.

However, I don't get the tribal "I use this so it must be best" idea.

If you want to go ImageShack or Photobucket, fine.

I just have nearly 8000 photographs on flickr. It'd be a headache to change it now.

There's a free util that allows you to easily download all those you know :)
    I used it to mirror my flickr onto pix.ie :)

Anyway best photo hosts are pix.ie, flickr.com and cabaal.org (why not just host it yourself? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Cabaal wrote: »
    (why not just host it yourself? :)

Because thats not free :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I dont see the point of this thread TBH ,am I missing something?

I found that comparing Photobucket with Flickr (and throwing in some more upload programs to widen the comparison) was interesting and thought to share.

I'm interested in SEO and find that reading about some of the systems used to measure readership and user behaviour
    is worth thinking about if you keep a photo-blog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Anouilh wrote: »
    Before we all develop hernias from sitting analysing the Flickr system, it may be interesting to note that Photobucket is far more popular:

It was this line that confused me, I tought i missed a previous conversation about the stresses of analysing the Flickr System.

I can never understand the whole Mac/PC, Flickr/Pix.ie and IE/Firefox debates
    I use what I am comfortable with and have no interest in what others use.

Whats SEO btw

Whats SEO btw

SEO = Search Engine Optimisation.

Basically a way to try and get better search results and hits for your site.

Might be more suited to tech/web section of boards though. They might care about the discussion. ;)

Whats SEO btw

This was such a puzzle to me that I joined the Irish Webmaster Forum, purely because I couldn't understand what many people on the Internet were talking about.

SEO goes further than just having a high rating in Google,
    thought optimizing one's chances of being found by like-minded posters is increased greatly if you get it right.

If you are interested to learn more, the Webmasters are a friendly and welcoming group and they are quick to give advice on templates, code and general Web protocol.

The Site Reviews tend to be lively, as you will find here:

http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/site-reviews-announcements/6219-my-wordpress-blog.html

There are quite a few photographers who post there, several from Boards.ie.

I think this thread has outlived its usefulness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement