Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Schools without foreign children???

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

hmmm - another new reg spouting this. It's not the first Stormfront invasion of boards and won't be the last so I'm not even going to dignify your post with a response except to say it's well you might be embarassed as your smiley suggests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Koltashe

Jus wanted to mention on the topic... When I just moved to Ireland 10 years ago from russia and enrolled in secondary school in 5th year I didn't exactly hold back the whole class (I was the only foreign student in the class) but teachers did have to stop or go back and explain stuff to me on numerous occasions. And I have to be honest it did happen quite often. I had very good spoken english and could have a conversation without a struggle, but when it came to subject specific words (e.g maths, biology, business etc.) I did need that extra help or time to understand it. I can see how if there were more foreign students (who weren't born in Ireland r exposed to english language previously) a good bit of time would be spent making sure they all get it. And when it comes to ur children u want the best for them especially when it comes to education. And I'm not in the slightest offended by the author even though I was and still am that foreigner. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Koltashe wrote: »
    Jus wanted to mention on the topic... When I just moved to Ireland 10 years ago from russia and enrolled in secondary school in 5th year I didn't exactly hold back the whole class (I was the only foreign student in the class) but teachers did have to stop or go back and explain stuff to me on numerous occasions. And I have to be honest it did happen quite often. I had very good spoken english and could have a conversation without a struggle, but when it came to subject specific words (e.g maths, biology, business etc.) I did need that extra help or time to understand it. I can see how if there were more foreign students (who weren't born in Ireland r exposed to english language previously) a good bit of time would be spent making sure they all get it. And when it comes to ur children u want the best for them especially when it comes to education. And I'm not in the slightest offended by the author even though I was and still am that foreigner. :)

I think there is the world of difference between the level of English needed to deal with studying leaving cert subjects in 5th year - like you did and that needed for beginning junior infants - the OP was talkling about primary school afair.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭coralcathy

doesnt class size have alot more to do with how much our little ones learn rather than those dreaded foreigners that are sooooooooooooooo offensive.............my 6year old being one of them:rolleyes:

Advertisement