Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange incident with a dog!

Options
  • 20-01-2009 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Was sitting in with the other half the other night watching T.V. and chatting, after a while she proceeds to tell me the following. A couple of nights previously her son and his partner were sitting on the couch in their house (built on the same ground as my OHs, next door). With one of their two dogs napping between them, he is a small terrier about 7 months old and an extremely friendly little chap, their other dog who is of a very nervous disposition is asleep on the floor.

All of a sudden the terrier sits up and looks at the wall about head height and barks and continues to stare at the wall, after a while his head starts to move about as if following someone walking the length of the room all the while growling in the back of his throat with his hackles up, (now I have never seen this guy act in anything other than a friendly manner). This goes on for about five minutes all the while the other dog (the nervous one) doesn’t so much as stir. Needless to say the two owners were quite freaked out and said that this never happened before. Now I would consider myself an open minded sceptic, but it got me thinking! Any opinions, was he still asleep and acting out a dream, or was he detecting something no one was aware of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

i'd say its more likely he heard something rather than saw something. dogs have great hearing and he may well have heard something and *looked* like he was tracking someone in the room when in reality the dog was trying to pinpoint where outside the sound was coming from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

iamhunted wrote: »
    i'd say its more likely he heard something rather than saw something. dogs have great hearing and he may well have heard something and *looked* like he was tracking someone in the room when in reality the dog was trying to pinpoint where outside the sound was coming from

I was thinking that, which was why I made the point about the other one being quite nervy as he would often react to noises outside and will start barking before someone knocks on the door, he didn't react at all so I wouldn't be entirely convinced it was someone outside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

unfortauntely since theres no way for us to understand dogs, we cant say if the sleeping dog heard anything or not

iamhunted wrote: »
    unfortauntely since theres no way for us to understand dogs, we cant say if the sleeping dog heard anything or not

Very true, I have read accounts of people saying their dogs exhibit psychic behaviour and being more intune to such things (not sure how I feel about that), so I thought I would share this one, I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had odd experiences with pets!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

:) Reminds me of this article: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/31229

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I have a few "odd" dog tales too as ive had dogs in my home pretty much since i was a child. While Im sure some can be explained, some of the stories, like the OP's are just weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I have no doubt in my mind my dog saw someone in my bedroom, think i posted about it before. Been thinking about this experience a lot lately.

We all saw something on different occasions but this night the dog was looking up at the same spot i had seen something on the wall and was wagging his tail yet barking and walking forward but then back, the way he would react with a stranger half afraid half curious. I was in bed and i just knew and i would bet my life on it now he was seeing what we had all seen.

I do not miss that house. Although part of me is drawn to drive by it all the time :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Maybe he saw a fly which the other dog didn't see since he was napping? Alternatively he heard some sort of noise as someone else said.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Everytime I read this thread title, i get an different image in my head. As if the dog drinking wine, or reading the newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I brought my dog on an invetigation a couple of time, he was even worse than me, he saw/heard nothing.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    I brought my dog on an invetigation a couple of time, he was even worse than me, he saw/heard nothing.

Is he a skeptical type of dog? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

not any more, now he "knows" there is nothing there.

Advertisement