Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price for skimming a boxroom

Options
  • 20-01-2009 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi there

I got a quote yesterday for the cost of skimming a boxroom (about 8' * 10'). 2 8' * 4' panels probably need replacing. I was quoted €360 cash for this. Is this an ok figure or a bit over the top?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭willbur

yes its fine there is alot to do and he will have a helper to get it done in a day:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

absoluty not, i'm a chippy myself so i know, no way
    you could get it done for half that, tihs fella is taking the piss
    no wonder we cant get any work, ****ers charging like that, no tax either

give him a days wage 150, more then enough

i had an old cottage 2 years ago, when times were good, had the whole lot skimmed for 800,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭jdpl28

agreed. shouldn't be more than 200 + materials. Probably 4-5 bags of skim should do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I had a bathroom skimmed a while back, it was 8 feet by 12. The cost 160 euros, it took half a day to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi Stevo

I got the daughters box room done just before christmas, He re-slabbed ceiling (new boards) provided skim coat plaster (used 3 1/2 bags), scrim tape angle beads and polybond. The whole job cost €230 and was done before i got home from work 6 hours total. The price you have been quoted is very excessive.

Regards
    Builditwell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭willbur

it sounds great that you all got this work done so cheap i imagine you all work for a living however i would say that your allso paying him 340 euros indirectly of dole money a week as well, ps why do you need to replace the 2 sheets of plaster board could there be damp getting in :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Stevo_76

Interesting replies there - thanks for those.

There was an old built in wardrobe in the room and the work in behind that is very patchy, that's why the new boards will need to be put in.

I thought the price was a bit excessive alright, particularily for cash. It was my wife who was dealing with him and he originally quoted 400, then she said 350 cash and he went 360 cash.

I might just give him a bell later to see if he'll knock any more off the price. Also, if any of you want to send me on a name & number of someone who you've gotten work done by in the dublin area, please feel free to pm me!

Thanks again.

Advertisement